Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,883 times

Advertisements

I'm in the military and being transfered to OKC. Married with young children (four girls one boy.) Not that it should matter, but we are Black, or African American, or which ever you prefer. The only reason I mention this is because I've been told there are some serious racial issues there. The bottom line is we are hard working honest Americans looking for an area with a good school system that is safe and where we can raise our family in peace. Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 02:17 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,757,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply me View Post
I'm in the military and being transfered to OKC. Married with young children (four girls one boy.) Not that it should matter, but we are Black, or African American, or which ever you prefer. The only reason I mention this is because I've been told there are some serious racial issues there. The bottom line is we are hard working honest Americans looking for an area with a good school system that is safe and where we can raise our family in peace. Can anyone help?
No racial problems in OKC...This is a stereotype of the State of Oklahoma.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,619,010 times
I don't think you will have any problems. No place in the U.S. has no racial tensions, but I think OKC has very few racial problems. I am white so someone may come on here and correct me.

I assume you will be at Tinker, so I would look at Moore and Choctaw to start. Both have good schools, are safe areas, and are fairly close to Tinker. Midwest City is closest to Tinker, but their schools and housing might not be up to your standards.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:50 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Welcome,

The communities around Tinker are racially mixed. Not a problem. Carl Albert HS is a pretty good school in the Mid Del school districts.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,883 times
Thanks for the input. I look forward to moving to OKC. I figured it was just a stereo type about the racism but thought I'd ask anyway. I'm glad to hear such positive things about the area.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:32 PM

20 posts, read 83,723 times
No offense, but I wouldn't recommend an African-American family live in Moore or Choctaw. I'm white and I wouldn't want to live there. Actually, I did live in Moore for a few years as a teenager. Not a very diverse place and I imagine Choctaw as being even less so. Nicer parts of Midwest City would be fine, I think. But I'd recommend OKC city limits. You'll find much more diversity and less "rednecks". Just my two cents.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 PM

45 posts, read 164,475 times
As an African American, I would say that OKC is an average place to raise black family. It's certainly not as bad as some places as far as racial tension goes, but the black community here is pretty stagnant. Most of the AA kids that do get an education move out of OK.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 AM

620 posts, read 1,772,023 times
I'm new here, but I wanted to chime in on this thread. Rampant racism is definitely a stereotype for Oklahoma. I was raised in the MWC/DC area and never had a problem. If you're planning on moving somewhere close to Tinker, I think you and your family will be just fine. Now, I am not at all sure when it comes to areas outside of the metro, but OKC is not bad at all.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,915,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simply me View Post
You and your family will be just fine in OkC simply me. And you are right, your color shouldn't matter. I think the racial tension in Oklahoma in general is much less than most of the country, although there are always pockets of jerks anywhere in the world. Good luck to you and yours; I'm sure you'll have a great life in OkC.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:05 AM

120 posts, read 425,023 times
I don't think of race when I think of where I'm going to live next. I think, "what is best for my family and myself"
If I found an area I liked, be it black or white or hispanic or otherwise, I'd move there.
When I purchased my new house, I didn't even bother looking east of Council Road and race didn't come into that thought process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City