Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 03:17 AM

4 posts, read 14,508 times

Advertisements

HI... i have been admitted to OU to study economics and will start my term during summer. was wondering what is there to prepare or expect while living in Oklahoma Norman? Or is there any international students around i can liaise with too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,535,239 times
I would suggest you contact OU student affairs to talk to them about the international student support groups or clubs. As far as what to expect...are you meaning in terms of weather, people, shopping...you need to be a little more specific.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:09 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,481 times
International Student Services | The University of Oklahoma

Student Organizations: Current Students: International Student Services | The University of Oklahoma (http://www.ou.edu/iss/home/audience_navigation/current_students/student_organizations.html - broken link)

Old 03-18-2008, 12:47 AM

wow.. the reply here is real fast... can i ask whether Norman Oklahoma is really that prone to typhoons and tornadoes like they show in the movie "twister"? Is there an active night life in Norman ?

How long does it take to get convert my driving license to one recgonise by the US.

What is the most common bank in OKC?

how much is the hand phone billed? monthly plan? yearly plan?

What scores must i achieved if so as to be eligible for most scolarships for international student?I have completed my Cambridge A and O level and have a SAT score of 1850/2400 . Is this scores good enough?

these i just some of questions i can think of now.Thanks so much for the help

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
I'm not sure how long it will take to get your license converted, but the student services link should help you out.

Bank? Probably Bank of America; they seem to be all over the place. Also, the Bank of Oklahoma, which is a very large bank.

You can get mobile phones on a pay per use basis (expensive) or you can get a regular plan. I think AT&T has the most coverage (used to be Cingular). A good plan will run you around 50-60 dollars a month.

As for typhoons, there are none. Tornadoes? Yes, they occur in Oklahoma but you're more likely to be killed in a car accident than by a tornado. The warning systems in Oklahoma are probably the best in the country because I think the National Severe Storms Laboratory is in Norman. You'll be fine.

I can't answer the SAT scores. Maybe someone like happytown, who is attending college in the area can help you out.

I went to Singapore regularly on business back in the 80s. What a beautiful country! Everything was so nice and clean, and the people were great. Very intelligent, well-educated, and friendly.

I think you'll do just fine in Oklahoma. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 06:48 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,535,239 times
Weather: 7-Day Forecast for Latitude 35.21N and Longitude -97.42W

Life at Norman for Grad students (things to do): Graduate College - University of Oklahoma

As for scholarship information you will need to contact the previous link (provided by flintysooner's post) for international students then email and ask.

As for banks these are just a few: www.bankofamerica.com/ , Bank of Oklahoma - Tulsa Metro and Oklahoma City financial institution - secure online banking, loans, mortgages, cd’s, retirement investments and more! , Arvest - Select Your Bank , https://www.ibc.com/ , Chase Personal Banking Investments Credit Cards Home Auto Commercial Small Business Insurance

Cell phone companies: AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Amazonchix; 03-18-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-18-2008, 07:54 AM

wow .. thanks .. this has been extremely helpful. Singapore has changed so much over the past 20 years. I guess you would not recgonise any buliding now. Singapore is a extremely fast paced and competitive society. that is why i am coming over to OU to experience a change in culture.=)

I also need to get most of my electrical appliance and clothings in OKC. Is there factory outlets and shopping malls around?

Any advice about buying cars? Cause in Singapore each Car cost about $US 40 000 due to Government restrictions.So i am not very sure about the price overseas.
How much and what kind of car should a average student be looking for?

Still need help about the scholarship and financial aids for International student. The Scholarships plans are still confusing for me

Thanks so much for the help. Suddenly so much of my problems are solve +)

Old 03-18-2008, 11:34 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Below are some links to places that sell used appliances. If I were you, I wouldn't buy new, I'd buy used. All you need to do is to look and make sure everything is in working order.

Used Major Household Appliances Retail - The DIRECTory

Dent and Ding Appliance Company

As for clothing, there are probably hundreds of places to get clothes cheaply. Heck, if you have to you can go to the salvation army and pick up clothes their for next to nothing.

As for a car. If I were you I would get something used as well. Usually a honda or toyota; maybe 5 - 8 years old. You can probably get a corolla or civic for around 5-7K. But DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT go to a fly by night (shifty, crooked) used car dealer. Look through the classified ads for a car being sold by an individual, or in the worst case, go to a reputable car lot that sells new and used cars and get a used car there. You will want to get a car that is economical on gas, and both the Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic are very economical. Ford Focus is also a good car, but they haven't been out that long.

Gas is getting more expensive here by the day, and it will not be going down. Right now it's over $3.00 per gallon and you'll want to get a car that can get at least 30 miles per gallon.

I can't help you with the scholarship issues, but the student union should be able to help, or someone like happytown.. Happytown, where are you? The batphone is ringing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jako87 View Post
wow .. thanks .. this has been extremely helpful. Singapore has changed so much over the past 20 years. I guess you would not recgonise any buliding now. Singapore is a extremely fast paced and competitive society. that is why i am coming over to OU to experience a change in culture.=)

I also need to get most of my electrical appliance and clothings in OKC. Is there factory outlets and shopping malls around?

Any advice about buying cars? Cause in Singapore each Car cost about $US 40 000 due to Government restrictions.So i am not very sure about the price overseas.

Still need help about the scholarship and financial aids for International student. The Scholarships plans are still confusing for me

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

778 posts, read 2,323,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jako87 View Post

Hello Jako87,
As you can tell by my screename, I am currently an OU student in my senior year. Thanks to the programs institutued by our current president OU has a sizable international popualtion (though I'm not so sure about anyone from Singapore--I do know that we have a large pop. from Indonesia and Malaysia). If you are coming over from Singapore to slow down, you are DEFINITELY in the right place. OU has a very slow, relaxed atmosphere compared to most big state schools in the US. As far as Norman is concerned, there are many big box stores (Wal Mart, Best Buy, Target) where you can buy the things you need. At 40K for a car, lets just say you'll be driving around in style LOL! For Norman, I don't think thats necessary. Get a smaller car thats easy on gas. Also, the area around the campus is pretty walkable, so I wouldn't splurge on a car. You may want to consider living on campus. OU has built many on campus apartments that I know have been popular with int'l students. They are a little more expensive, but you get many amenities like high speed internet and all bills paid. You also have OU based utilities. Oh, and as far as the weather, its not what fearmongers in the media make it out to be. Norman can get hot in the summer and chilly in the winter, but everyhting here is climate controlled. And there are people who've lived in OK all their lives and never seen a tornado. In fact, Norman hasn't been hit by a tornado since the 1970's.

Well, I hope this answers all of your general questions. As far as scholarships are concerned, contact the office of International Affairs. OU doesn't have a lot of red tape, but I would start as early as possible as most scholarships have strict deadlines, many of which I would imagine are coming up soon since theres only 7 weeks of school left. Welcome to OU!

BOOMER SOONER!!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:48 AM

thanks.. yeah.. most singaporean opt to go for university of oklahoma city i wonder y..
yeah i hope to liase with more international student... might help me out with a lot of other stuff.
i would be living temporary at my aunt's friend's house.. so yeah .. housing is not a problem yet.

Would start my term during summer... doing economics.. will i be able to complete my 4 years course of studes within 3?..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City