Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 PM

828 posts, read 691,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamlucas808 View Post
Aloha, we are moving out of Hawaii due to cost of living, which is the good areas of OKC to raise a family. We are looking at Edmond,Yukon,Mustang. We have never been to okc but will visit in May to house hunt. Is the tornados and earth quakes that bad like people claim it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Not sure what type of town you are looking for but you might also check out Piedmont if you want something a littler further away from city life but still close enough to go to the mall or do something downtown. Of course your place of employment may also be a determining factor depending on how far you want to drive though you are never really far from some sort of highway.
I live in Piedmont.. this town has it's issues, but I'm sure there are worse places. People are friendly but it's quite cliquish (like most of Oklahoma's smaller towns) If your a church attender.. that may break the ice some. My biggest complaint far and away are the roads.. Oklahoma has some of the worst roads in the country and Canadian County; where Piedmont is located, has some of the poorest maintained roads in the state. In the past, Piedmont has been like a bullseye on a dartboard for severe weather including tornadoes but since 2011, we've lucked out overall. We do have outstanding severe weather media coverage here and if a damaging storm occurs.. people are very quick in helping one another. As far as safety is concerned.. Piedmont is tops in that category. That alone is one of the best perks in living here. In my opinion.. the Oklahoma City area has suffered a significant rise on all types of crimes in recent years.. another thing to consider. Hope this helps some.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:47 PM

5 posts, read 3,770 times
You're gonna miss the ocean and ocean breezes.

I lived in southern California near the beach for many decades…then moved to Oklahoma. I missed the ocean from the first; after living here for 10 years, I STILL miss the ocean! I've been to Hawaii (LOVED IT) and the ocean is a BIG PRESENCE there. The Pacific Ocean is nowhere to be found here and Oklahoma breezes here aren't balmy or cool…they are warm and dry.

Best to visit Oklahoma before you move everything here, and see how it feels to you.

Other than that, people are nice and family-oriented. Tornados are scary, earthquakes aren't yet. I say that because I've experienced some huge earthquakes in California, and quakes aren't that big here. Tornados are frightening because the destruction is more thorough than earthquakes here.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post

Or the Ice Storm of 2007 where around 600K homes and businesses were without power. I didn't have power for 3 or 4 days.
LOL, There was no ice storm in Stillwater in 2007 and hasn't been a bad one since around 2003. Even back then power was not out for 3 or 4 days. Also back then where I worked, power was out for little more than an hour. It was a relief from trying to work with limited dim battery powered back up light. Stillwater has never had power out for as long as 3 or 4 days from a storm. If one is scared of ice storms in Oklahoma, then move to Stillwater. Can't explain it, but ice storms have a way of bypassing Stillwater. Further helping things is that Stillwater has back up power lines going to it.

If fearful, avoid living in rural Oklahoma, including little towns. If living there, you may have power out for even longer than 3 or 4 days caused by ice storms or tornadoes. From the past, a tornado destroyed the electrical sub station for the town of Perkins, and so there was no power there for at least a week. In rural parts of Cushing and Drumright, power outages lasted longer than a week from an ice storm. That was probably from 2007.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 10-26-2017 at 02:03 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,025 times
Default Hawaii to okc

Hi there! We would love to help you make the transition to Oklahoma City. My husband and I are top real estate agents in the metro area. It costs nothing to have a buyers agent negotiate and advocate for you through the whole process. We are ranked #20 of over 5600 in production and love to serve people. We know the entire metro market well and would be honored to help make this move a seamless transition. I have also included a link below of us doing our own episode buying our personal home moving in the Oklahoma City area!

[url=http://www.linkme2okc.com]Schroder Real Estate Group | Homes for Sale in Greater OKC[/url]

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAcrdsJYhc4&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Let us know if we can help you and your family in any way!

Troy & Denise Schroder
405-850-5065
[email]schrodergroupllc@gmail.com[/email]

Old 12-22-2017, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamlucas808 View Post
Thanks for the response and valuable information. Are the people of OKC friendly? We are a hawaiian/ Filipino family. Wife concerned with racism . Also what is the weather like during winters?
srsly? You may have some culture shock at first, kinda like I did when stationed @ Pearl, but people will more than likely not ostracize you for the color of your skin. No flying cockroaches here either.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,404,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The rest of the post was highly inaccurate so it just makes sense that the name of the state is also wrong.
Im pretty sure the poster meant Ohio.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 AM

8 posts, read 9,476 times
If you're looking to move to a friendly southern state( that is one that's friendly towards outsiders)..you may try South Carolina or even Florida. There are many beaches, mild Winters and plenty of southern hospitality. I lived in Oklahoma for three years and didn't make a single friend.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:49 AM

171 posts, read 190,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungirl10 View Post
If you're looking to move to a friendly southern state( that is one that's friendly towards outsiders)..you may try South Carolina or even Florida. There are many beaches, mild Winters and plenty of southern hospitality. I lived in Oklahoma for three years and didn't make a single friend.

Well said

Old 01-15-2018, 08:04 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungirl10 View Post
If you didn't make a single friend after living here for three years, it's probably you and not them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City