Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,679 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I know the title sounds odd, since Edmond and Choctaw aren't comparable (at least I don't think they are?). But my wife is from Ohio, and I'm from farm country in Vermont, we currently live in Orange County CA (and hate it). My job is moving our family (1 infant daughter) to the OKC area. I'll be working near Tinker AFB.

We are trying to decide between living in Edmond for the sake of our daughter, but we imagine it being similar to Orange County. We'd kind of prefer to live in Choctaw (we think) since we'd have more space and less population density. We're hoping it's still a nice rural area. We're not fond of the idea that you can stand in your drive way and hit your neighbors house with a good football throw.

I'll be going out this week to check out the areas and to try and find a place to live for us. Does anyone here have thoughts on what the Choctaw area is like for living?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 04:15 PM

17,779 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Edmond and Choctaw are both suburban and have some similarities but they evolved from different places. Both began to boom in the '60s. Edmond as a suburb of OKC. Choctaw as a "suburb" for Tinker employees who wanted a more bucolic setting. Both are unique in Oklahoma County for their naturally wooded neighborhoods. Edmond's eastern and northern sections and most all of Choctaw is densely wooded.

I don't think you could go wrong either way. Edmond has way more amenities, the university and a lot more energy, but Choctaw is a nice residential community and is more convenient to the base.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 AM

171 posts, read 190,150 times
Edmond is the $ritzy$ suburb of OKC and has $nobs

Choctaw is boring and more "Country"

I was in both towns MANY times when I lived in CRAPahoma

Old 02-07-2018, 03:01 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,029,327 times
Choctaw is considerably closer to Tinker than Edmond. Not to mention it takes an average of 6 months to get out of Edmond due to the horrible traffic and congestion.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM

24,495 posts, read 10,825,052 times
You said you are looking for small town feel - that will be Choctaw. Who knows where tings will be once your child is of school age.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:07 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Choctaw is definitely the one with more of a rural feel. Although, Edmond in many parts is extremely wooded and very scenic.

My primary gripe with Choctaw is that the town itself has little to no infrastructure. It could be an amazing little-to-big town, but the residents have long resisted building anything that resembles a legitimate town square with a shopping/business district centered around the civic center/library.

Hence, what you're left with is Walmart and Taco Bell off of 23rd and a gaggle of other fast food joints with a gas station. At least there is a Braum's (you'll have to get acquainted coming from Cali ). This is the "town" of Choctaw. It's disappointing.

Honestly, as an Eastern Oklahoma County guy myself, Choctaw is just an extended extension of the Mid-Del area, with Mid-Del being an extension of OK City. It all runs together. Choctaw is just the farthest ripple in the pond from the heart of OK City.

If you really like Eastern Oklahoma County and desire a real town feel, I'd check out Harrah or even Mcloud. Pretty and quiet little towns that actually look like a town.

Best of luck. Yet another Californian in Oklahoma.

Welcome to the Great State of Oklahoma.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:32 PM

689 posts, read 2,057,705 times
We're retired from Tinker and always lived less than ten miles from the base. We think it's easier to drive the short distance to work every day, then drive longer distances on the weekends, evenings, etc. We moved away for a few years and thought we'd live in Edmond when we moved back...and then we lived in an apartment there for a few months and decided against it. Too much traffic! The name "Choctaw" might mean you're in the city of limits of Choctaw, Midwest City or Oklahoma City. We're in the OKC limits but our mail comes out of the Choctaw Post Office, that's the town in our address. We're in an addition with one-acre lots, so it's just slightly rural. Welcome!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:08 PM

6 posts, read 10,874 times
The commute from Choctaw to Tinker for me is 13mins. From Edmond it would be 35-40min through traffic. Choctaw itself doesn’t offer much but you can quickly drive to other areas of the city so it isn’t a big deal. Houses are quite a bit cheaper as well, (no “Edmond tax”��).

Old 03-24-2018, 01:27 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrdbym View Post
The commute from Choctaw to Tinker for me is 13mins. From Edmond it would be 35-40min through traffic. Choctaw itself doesn’t offer much but you can quickly drive to other areas of the city so it isn’t a big deal. Houses are quite a bit cheaper as well, (no “Edmond tax”��).
That's true. I just wish Choctaw could be its own city. It could have been a lovely town (like a nicer version of Purcell) with a great town square. I like that sense of community and I just don't feel it when I'm in Choctaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City