Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 AM

4 posts, read 20,176 times

Advertisements

My Son (age 24) is moving to OKC in a couple of weeks. Just the clothes on his back, a few bucks in his pockets, and his tools. He's just looking to get a fresh start. He does electrical work mostly for new construction, and he's a skilled carpet installer.

Are there any Day Labor or general construction type jobs or area's he should head toward. He really knows nothing of OKC, we picked it out on a map. Always heard the people are nice, and I've rarely heard anything bad on the news about the area. Well there was that thing a few years ago... but other than that... it's not on the National news everyday like many other cities its size.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
First, I'm sorry that your son has been put into a situation that would require such a drastic move. I would never recommend someone pick a point on a map and make a decision to go there but I don't know you, your son, or the situation and there's likely nothing I could do anyway. If your son is dead-set on going to OkC then you should load up on all of the information you can about the area. This forum is a good start but you should also check out the facilities for supporting the homeless in the area. Hopefully your son will be able to get a job soon but if not, the winter can be cold in OkC and he will need shelter. Also, go to monster.com or yahoo hotjobs and type in "construction" or "installer" and see what comes up. Your son may be able to line up something employment wise before he even goes to OkC. I'm not from OkC, but I am from Oklahoma and am fairly familiar with the people of OkC, just not wise to something only a resident would know. I can say this, the people in Oklahoma are some of the friendliest people you will find anywhere. Having said that, there are always a few here and there that will take advantage so please ask your son to keep his wits about him; OkC is a pretty large city with over a half a million in the city proper alone (almost, if not more than a million in the metro area). There are always going to be bad eggs in an area that size. Best of luck to you and your son.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:15 PM

Well I guess I should clarify, we started by just pointing to the map basically, but then started to do the research, and it seemed like a good fit. Where he is now just isn't a place for someone with ambition and jobs are thin.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:26 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Don't get me wrong Desdinova, OkC is a fine place and from what I understand the economy is on the rise there. I would be a little hesitant to strike out somewhere with only the clothes on my back and not knowing anyone in the area, that's all. But that's me and I've never been in the kind of situation where I did something exactly like that. May I ask where your son is coming from? What city?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,385 times
Well, to answer your question directly, your son should probably focus on areas such as Norman, Edmond, or the Mustang/Yukon areas. These areas have a great deal of growth and construction activity.

One thing I would suggest, partly because it is what I help lead, is for him to get involved in a local church. My church, for instance, has helped many singles get on their feet not with a hand-out, but more like life education. Happy to provide more resources in this area as well if you'd like.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 25,059 times
Default Tuttle and SW OKC

I recently graduated from OU and recently moved to Tuttle, OK near SW OKC. It's a nice place but there isn't anything here. A few trees and cows I lived in Yukon until 2nd grade and then moved to NW OKC. I wish I still lived there.

Edmond, and NW OKC are on the rise. There has been a considerable amount of housing construction and development. Edmond is known for its surburban-type lifestyle. There are many wealthy people in edmond and many small businesses (i.e. dentist and doctor's offices) are being built. It's a very nice community with a mainly Christian background. Norman (where the OU campus is located) is also bustling with new development. It's about 25 miles from downtown OKC. Hope this helps.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the input guys, I am passing it all along. From everything I have read and keep reading, it looks like OKC is a good choice.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:43 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,628,085 times
Desdinova....Tell your son to go for it as life is an adventure and nothing wrong at taking a chance. Back in the late 1980's i was in my early 20's and living in El Paso ,TX so i saved a couple of paychecks and my meager income tax refund which all totaled gave me a 1,000 dollars and i upped and moved to florida as i always wanted to go there.

Had nothing but my military duffle bag of clothes and a few cassett tapes and moved 1,800 miles and had a 6 year blast out there and fond memories so tell him to go for it......

Old 01-01-2007, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 12,258 times
I am in the building/development field and would agree with most of the posters above. Most of the action is in the surrounding suburbs like Edmond, Norman, etc. Things have slowed down slightly, but I don't think we will ever have the major ups and downs that other parts of the country have. Most of the subs I work with complain that they can't keep decent help. If he is a good worker and is dependable he will find a job.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:11 PM

19 posts, read 185,730 times
Edmond right now is expanding West and a little North. As well as a few building oppourtunities in town. Oklahoma Christian University is currently building a large clock tower and a pavilion.

As for carpet layers there are always ads in the paper for carpet layers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City