Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,515 times

Advertisements

Hello, is there any part of the state where you can buy some acreage and live far away from people, keep horses and ride them into some kind of wilderness? We are nearing a time when we can decide where to go, we are avid riders and have considered New Mexico for that purpose alone (6+ million acres of national forests and not many people do sound appealing) but we are put off by the crime stats in NM. We have never been to OK but do live in TX so close by and within a perimeter we can cover driving to check out. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
Oklahoma has more horses per capita than any other state. It is #4 in total number of horses. What kind of riding do you want? Plains? anywhere west of Stroud. Hills and mountains? the Ozark foothills in eastern and southern OK are hard to beat. I don't think you will find all you are looking for in most localities, and if you need variety, Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, and Missouri are all within a days drive.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Southeastern Oklahoma has a lot of land available for horse riding on trails and forest land owned by the government and the wood companies have a lot of logging roads that you can use.

I would look at Leflore County, McCurtain County and Pushmataha County and Latimer County. That is the only place in Oklahoma that isn't all privately owned.

Check out Cedar Lake Horse Camp in Hodgens, Oklahoma. They have 70 or so miles of looping horse trails, and facilities for your horse trailer. They have showering and bathing facilities for campers and outdoor grills.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Oklahoma has more horses per capita than any other state. It is #4 in total number of horses. What kind of riding do you want? Plains? anywhere west of Stroud. Hills and mountains? the Ozark foothills in eastern and southern OK are hard to beat. I don't think you will find all you are looking for in most localities, and if you need variety, Colorado, New Mexico, Arkansas, Kansas, Texas, and Missouri are all within a days drive.
Thanks. Perhaps I should clarify: my budget is so that I could not own thousands of acres for my own pleasure, I am thinking more like 20-40 acres with a house. This means that we would need to be in proximity to public lands to ride. So far looking at New Mexico, for example, you are allowed anywhere on the Gila National forest (3 million acres) and it is pretty wild there (yes, we visited). Same with Karson Natl forest, Lincoln natl forest etc. Here in Texas only 4% of land is public and most of it is in Big Bend. It is nice there to ride horses (we have done that too) and we are even considering moving there, however, the water situation is of concern. So, to clarify: we are looking for a small town, safe, quiet and not popular with a lot of gentry who are coming to turn the place into another asphalted street with a Starbucks on it. At the same time the requirement is to be close (within an hour or two) to public lands where one can ride and not really be riding next to someone or single file behind a bunch of people doing the same thing. Is there such a place in OK?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Southeastern Oklahoma has a lot of land available for horse riding on trails and forest land owned by the government and the wood companies have a lot of logging roads that you can use.

I would look at Leflore County, McCurtain County and Pushmataha County and Latimer County. That is the only place in Oklahoma that isn't all privately owned.

Check out Cedar Lake Horse Camp in Hodgens, Oklahoma. They have 70 or so miles of looping horse trails, and facilities for your horse trailer. They have showering and bathing facilities for campers and outdoor grills.
Have you ridden at the Cedar Lake Horse Camp ? Their website (Ouachita Natl Forest) reports "heavy use" - I am envisioning crowds of riders, hikers etc. and parking amongst a bunch of trailers and horse folks.... Not my idea of solitude and riding the "wilderness"

Old 10-23-2014, 09:31 AM

78 posts, read 121,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
Thanks. Perhaps I should clarify: my budget is so that I could not own thousands of acres for my own pleasure, I am thinking more like 20-40 acres with a house. This means that we would need to be in proximity to public lands to ride. So far looking at New Mexico, for example, you are allowed anywhere on the Gila National forest (3 million acres) and it is pretty wild there (yes, we visited). Same with Karson Natl forest, Lincoln natl forest etc. Here in Texas only 4% of land is public and most of it is in Big Bend. It is nice there to ride horses (we have done that too) and we are even considering moving there, however, the water situation is of concern. So, to clarify: we are looking for a small town, safe, quiet and not popular with a lot of gentry who are coming to turn the place into another asphalted street with a Starbucks on it. At the same time the requirement is to be close (within an hour or two) to public lands where one can ride and not really be riding next to someone or single file behind a bunch of people doing the same thing. Is there such a place in OK?
This is information from the Travelok.com website. Thought it might help.

Equestrian Camps and Trails for Horse Owners
Bell Cow Lake & Equestrian Campground - Chandler
Pack up your horse and head to Bell Cow Lake & Equestrian Campground in Chandler for a truly unique outdoor adventure. Most trails run alongside serene Bell Cow Lake, a central Oklahoma gem. Two popular trails are the 12-mile Flat Rock Trail and the 22-mile Red Bud Trail. Stop for a break along the sandy swimming beach and when night falls take advantage of RV and primitive campsites, a horse-washing area, manure dump and a lighted pavilion.

Cedar Lake Equestrian Camp - Hodgen
Located in the Ouachita National Forest of southeast Oklahoma, Cedar Lake Equestrian Camp in Hodgen is the most popular starting point for the Winding Stair Mountain Equestrian Trails, a 70-mile trail system of marked equestrian trails. Wind over hills through a variety of landscapes ranging from tall majestic pines to stately hardwoods and lush river bottoms. You and your horses can turn in at one of the 130 campsites for equestrians at Cedar Lake. Amenities include corrals, restrooms with warm showers, curbside manure removal and an area for horse washing.

Walnut Creek State Park - Prue
Grab your horse and hit the trail at Walnut Creek State Park in Prue for flat to rolling terrain and a premier view of Keystone Lake. Located less than 30 miles from Tulsa, Walnut Creek State Park boasts plenty of seclusion while maintaining convenient proximity to the city. The 15-mile Sand Plum Trail will take you through one of the most peaceful settings found within Oklahoma state parks. At the end of your trail ride, settle in one of the shady equestrian campsites complete with amenities like picket posts, electrical hookups, picnic areas, grills and comfort stations.

Horse Heaven Ranch - Talihina
Riders and their horses love Horse Heaven Ranch for the top-notch amenities and sprawling views of Talimena State Park. Guests will enjoy exploring more than 100 miles of trails that snake through southeast Oklahoma’s Winding Stairs Mountains while staying at this Talihina ranch. Tired of seeing the surroundings from horseback? Nearby activities include paragliding and mountain biking. Turn in for the night surrounded by fragrant pines in fully equipped RV camping sites complete with vet and farrier services, firewood, a full-size arena and horse boarding services.

Wood Guest Ranch & Equestrian Center - Boswell
Relax and unwind along the 21 miles of horse trails on the expansive Wood Guest Ranch & Equestrian Center in Boswell. View breathtaking hills, flowing rivers and tranquil pastures from horseback on this beautiful ranch. Stay overnight with your horse in one of more than two dozen campsites complete with corrals and wash racks, or bring your RV and stay on their equipped hook-up pads. Those looking for top-notch accommodations can rest easy in the Wood Guest Ranch & Equestrian Center’s 3,000-square-foot log cabin with all the conveniences of home.

Foss State Park - Foss
Fall in love with Oklahoma’s prairie landscape from horseback on the trails at Foss State Park. You can see for miles on rides through this peaceful park, which features an equestrian camp and a multi-purpose trail for horseback riding. Hop on your horse and ride past tall native grasses, an expansive field that is home to a large bison herd and a handful of swimming beaches. At the end of your ride, relax at a primitive camp site or venture into the park for watersports, a hike or a picnic.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato bandito View Post
This is information from the Travelok.com website. Thought it might help.

Pack up your horse and head to Bell Cow Lake & Equestrian Campground in Chandler for a truly unique outdoor adventure. Most trails run alongside serene Bell Cow Lake, a central Oklahoma gem. Two popular trails are the 12-mile Flat Rock Trail and the 22-mile Red Bud Trail. Stop for a break along the sandy swimming beach and when night falls take advantage of RV and primitive campsites, a horse-washing area, manure dump and a lighted pavilion.

Located in the Ouachita National Forest of southeast Oklahoma, Cedar Lake Equestrian Camp in Hodgen is the most popular starting point for the Winding Stair Mountain Equestrian Trails, a 70-mile trail system of marked equestrian trails. Wind over hills through a variety of landscapes ranging from tall majestic pines to stately hardwoods and lush river bottoms. You and your horses can turn in at one of the 130 campsites for equestrians at Cedar Lake. Amenities include corrals, restrooms with warm showers, curbside manure removal and an area for horse washing.

Grab your horse and hit the trail at Walnut Creek State Park in Prue for flat to rolling terrain and a premier view of Keystone Lake. Located less than 30 miles from Tulsa, Walnut Creek State Park boasts plenty of seclusion while maintaining convenient proximity to the city. The 15-mile Sand Plum Trail will take you through one of the most peaceful settings found within Oklahoma state parks. At the end of your trail ride, settle in one of the shady equestrian campsites complete with amenities like picket posts, electrical hookups, picnic areas, grills and comfort stations.

Riders and their horses love Horse Heaven Ranch for the top-notch amenities and sprawling views of Talimena State Park. Guests will enjoy exploring more than 100 miles of trails that snake through southeast Oklahoma’s Winding Stairs Mountains while staying at this Talihina ranch. Tired of seeing the surroundings from horseback? Nearby activities include paragliding and mountain biking. Turn in for the night surrounded by fragrant pines in fully equipped RV camping sites complete with vet and farrier services, firewood, a full-size arena and horse boarding services.

Relax and unwind along the 21 miles of horse trails on the expansive Wood Guest Ranch & Equestrian Center in Boswell. View breathtaking hills, flowing rivers and tranquil pastures from horseback on this beautiful ranch. Stay overnight with your horse in one of more than two dozen campsites complete with corrals and wash racks, or bring your RV and stay on their equipped hook-up pads. Those looking for top-notch accommodations can rest easy in the Wood Guest Ranch & Equestrian Center’s 3,000-square-foot log cabin with all the conveniences of home.

Foss State Park - Foss
Fall in love with Oklahoma’s prairie landscape from horseback on the trails at Foss State Park. You can see for miles on rides through this peaceful park, which features an equestrian camp and a multi-purpose trail for horseback riding. Hop on your horse and ride past tall native grasses, an expansive field that is home to a large bison herd and a handful of swimming beaches. At the end of your ride, relax at a primitive camp site or venture into the park for watersports, a hike or a picnic.
El Gato - gracias. However, I am after solitude AND riding at the same time. Most of these descriptions make me think things get busy there. See, my wife and I have a bit of a desire to be alone in the wilderness when riding. I am doing my research at this point and New Mexico fits my criteria, the only thing putting me off is the crime stats which are pretty bad. I was wondering if I can find the same in Oklahoma (lots of land to ride but no people). I am starting to think OK is like TX, not much public land, everything is private. Is that so?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Have you ridden at the Cedar Lake Horse Camp ? Their website (Ouachita Natl Forest) reports "heavy use" - I am envisioning crowds of riders, hikers etc. and parking amongst a bunch of trailers and horse folks.... Not my idea of solitude and riding the "wilderness"
Yes I've been there and I would suggest to you that only on weekends is it ever crowded. But I only suggested the horse camp as a place to come ride to check it out. You could ride the trails there to get an idea of what the area is like. There are a whole lot of logging roads and dirt roads through that country that would be quiet and desolate. For the most part those three counties are devoid of people except for in the towns.

It is beautiful in that area as well. If you lived there you wouldn't need to use the horse camp . Just the logging roads. there are also other trail systems down there. Beach Creek Trails. The David Boren trail at Broken Bow Lake would be a good one as well.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 AM

78 posts, read 121,006 times
Quote:
El Gato - gracias. However, I am after solitude AND riding at the same time. Most of these descriptions make me think things get busy there. See, my wife and I have a bit of a desire to be alone in the wilderness when riding. I am doing my research at this point and New Mexico fits my criteria, the only thing putting me off is the crime stats which are pretty bad. I was wondering if I can find the same in Oklahoma (lots of land to ride but no people). I am starting to think OK is like TX, not much public land, everything is private. Is that so?
I think it just depends on what area of the state your are in. In some parts of the state you won't have many options if any for public land, other areas are less populous and you have free reign.

Sorry that's such a generic answer, but I don't ride or own horses so I don't want to give you bad information on a subject that I am not fully aware of.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default You Can Make It As Isolated As You Like......

Quote:

Originally Posted by el gato bandito
This is information from the Travelok.com website. Thought it might
help.

Pack up your horse and head to Bell Cow Lake & Equestrian Campground
in Chandler for a truly unique outdoor adventure. Most trails run alongside
serene Bell Cow Lake, a central Oklahoma gem. Two popular trails are the 12-mile
Flat Rock Trail and the 22-mile Red Bud Trail. Stop for a break along the sandy
swimming beach and when night falls take advantage of RV and primitive
campsites, a horse-washing area, manure dump and a lighted pavilion.

Located in the Ouachita National Forest of southeast Oklahoma, Cedar
Lake Equestrian Camp in Hodgen is the most popular starting point for the
Winding Stair Mountain Equestrian Trails, a 70-mile trail system of marked
equestrian trails. Wind over hills through a variety of landscapes ranging from
tall majestic pines to stately hardwoods and lush river bottoms. You
and your horses can turn in at one of the 130 campsites for equestrians at Cedar
Lake. Amenities include corrals, restrooms with warm showers, curbside manure
removal and an area for horse washing.

Grab your horse and hit the trail at Walnut Creek State Park in Prue for
flat to rolling terrain and a premier view of Keystone Lake. Located less than
30 miles from Tulsa, Walnut Creek State Park boasts plenty of seclusion while
maintaining convenient proximity to the city. The 15-mile Sand Plum Trail will
take you through one of the most peaceful settings found within Oklahoma state
parks. At the end of your trail ride, settle in one of the shady equestrian
campsites complete with amenities like picket posts, electrical hookups, picnic
areas, grills and comfort stations.

Riders and their horses love Horse Heaven Ranch for the top-notch
amenities and sprawling views of Talimena State Park. Guests will enjoy
exploring more than 100 miles of trails that snake through southeast Oklahoma’s
Winding Stairs Mountains while staying at this Talihina
ranch. Tired of seeing the surroundings from horseback? Nearby activities
include paragliding and mountain biking. Turn in for the night surrounded by
fragrant pines in fully equipped RV camping sites complete with vet and farrier
services, firewood, a full-size arena and horse boarding
services.

Relax and unwind along the 21 miles of horse trails on the expansive Wood
Guest Ranch & Equestrian Center in Boswell. View breathtaking hills, flowing
rivers and tranquil pastures from horseback on this beautiful ranch. Stay
overnight with your horse in one of more than two dozen campsites complete with
corrals and wash racks, or bring your RV and stay on their equipped hook-up
pads. Those looking for top-notch accommodations can rest easy in the Wood Guest
Ranch & Equestrian Center’s 3,000-square-foot log cabin with all the
conveniences of home.

Foss State Park - Foss
Fall in love with Oklahoma’s prairie landscape from horseback on the
trails at Foss State Park. You can see for miles on rides through this peaceful
park, which features an equestrian camp and a multi-purpose trail for horseback
riding. Hop on your horse and ride past tall native grasses, an expansive field
that is home to a large bison herd and a handful of swimming beaches. At the end
of your ride, relax at a primitive camp site or venture into the park for
watersports, a hike or a picnic.
Quote:
howest2008....you can reject all of the Amenities and rough it in the " Off The Beaten Path ".....
area and by throwing a blanket on the ground and sleeping under the stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma