Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:36 PM

152 posts, read 370,251 times

Advertisements

Well I don't know about Ron Howard. He moved away when he was a baby if I'm not mistaken?

What a lot of it boils down to is: Metropolitan or Rural, I'll tell "Yall" what. When you get out in the woods very far away from the OKC metro even, you will not know "if et" your in Mississippi, Tennesee or Oklahoma...LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 05:00 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,186,187 times
Defining Oklahoma's accents is like defining our, climate, geography, etc, etc. It's all original. It's just Oklahoma, simply put.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:43 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
That's interesting - Thanks!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Ron Howard is in this clip. (Actually it's a full hour episode)
Gunsmoke : Full Episodes : tvland.com

Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Reba's a good singer and all but that accent almost sounds made up or she at least tries to talk that way. I always hated hearing her talk, it was like the wrath of the stereotypes..
Oh, well, Reba has always wanted to be like Dolly Parton, including sounding like her.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I have heard no one in OK that talks like Reba. Or Dolly. I am grateful for that.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:14 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I have heard no one in OK that talks like Reba. Or Dolly. I am grateful for that.
Yes, for this I am thankful.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:19 PM

74 posts, read 316,802 times
It's sort of individual it seems, my husband is from Enid and i don't think he has a very strong accent at all but his parents have it alot more compared to him. But his uncles... now to me have a very strong southern accent. Alot stronger than his parents even.

Maybe i just hear it different since i'm foreign and all but in his family it can go either way

Old 10-25-2007, 01:09 PM

491 posts, read 1,476,034 times
I think Oklahoma accents are different depending on where in OK you grew up. For instance, Garvin county and the surrounding areas sound very Southern. They draw out the "I"s so that they sound like "ahh". This is odd because it's only about 30 mins South of Norman. Seminole/Okfuskee county has a very different accent, too. People from the Osage (up North) sound different. Then you get far enough West and they sound like Texas panhandle people do. Get far enough South and they sound similar to North Texans. Indians from different parts of the state sound different, too. I think it's very interesting.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:30 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,686 times
I think what everyone has described here is pretty accurate. Here's what I see.

I lived in Houston for three years in the nineties. Oklahomans I believe have a propensity to pick up accents from where they live. I had an unmistakable Texas Gulf Coast drawl for about two years after I moved back, then got my old 'Okie' accent back, which, most out-of-staters tell me, isn't much of an accent. I went to San Francisco one year to visit a friend, and his friends could not tell where I was from. The said I sounded like I was from California, but the Central Valley. I told all of them I was from Eastern California until my friend outed me. I think the reason for that is that so many Oklahomans migrated to California during the Dust Bowl days that there are still a few of the descendants left with the accent, and most Californians are used to it.

Northeast Oklahoma, from my observation, has more of a Midwest US accent than a Southern drawl. A bit in between a St Louis accent and the Southern OK accent, which sounds more like a Dallas/North Texas lite accent. Out west near the panhandle, not much of accent unless you're around Gage or Hobart; then it sounds more like North Texas again (obviously from being so close to the Texas Panhandle).

The drawl tends to fade off the further north of the Red River that you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma