Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 30,758 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new at this so bear with me Please.Im from New Hampshire and My Heart Is Broken ! My Grandchildren Are 9 And 13, Always been by my side. The problem, my daughter met a guy from Okay,OK, They lived hear together for 2 years and without Any Notice they left with the Grandchildren to move to Okay. She never even said goodbye. My bigest concern is I have no Idea or do I know anything about The State Of Oklahoma. I only know they live in Okay. Can anyone tell me anything about this area, Good Or Bad? Hope to hear from someone.
Thanks, Brokenheart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 04:34 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,502 times
Brokenheart, I am sorry to hear of your sadness. KIDS, huh? What can you do? Sometimes they don't think of their parents as human beings with lives and feelings of their own.

I am not sure what you are asking--are you concerned about the place they have gone to? I really don't know much about the town of Okay except that it is a very small town in between Tahlequah and Muskogee and not too far from Tulsa. Maybe an hour or so from Tulsa.

All I can say is that that general area is fairly pretty as far as Oklahoma goes, though I'm sure it has NOTHING on most of New Hampshire.

Muskogee and Tahlequah are nice towns that are very safe and have decent school systems. Again, I just don't know anything about Okay in particular. Sorry. I certainly don't know your situation or theirs, but as far as safety, I don't think you need to fear anything.

The area code for that part of the state is 918. You should be able to call
(918) 555-1212 and get local information--perhaps you could ask for the name of the man your daughter left with in Okay and get a phone number.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope this might ease your mind a little bit. Good luck with everything and take care of yourself.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Brokenheart, I'm SO sorry for what you're going through. We have been in a similar situation for two and a half years now. We've not been allowed to contact our small grandchildren or see them and we're always worried about them since they were a daily part of our lives their first few years of life.

Check your private messages.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:22 AM

Default What makes our children tic?

Thanks so much for your reply. Sometimes just talking to someone helps. I'm sorry to hear you have been there. Doesn't it make you wonder what makes our children tic sometimes? I'm glad to hear that Okay, OK is a small town, this is what the grandchildren are use to. I do have info on the boyfriend, but I think there is more to him that meets the eye. I know there's nothing much I can do at this point except pray. I know Okay is a very small town so I looked up the sex offender registry. Of a population of about 800 ther are (3) three of them located there, scares me to death.thanks again for your imput, it does help.

Old 10-06-2006, 06:05 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Brokenheart, IMHO they should do something to separate the crimes of sex offenders. We have several listed in the town we live in. We know a few of them. One was a boy who was 19 (?) and he slept with his 15 year old girlfriend. He isn't violent or a threat, but he's listed on the sex offender list, along with his pic. Another is a very nice guy who's wife wanted to get rid of him. Their teen daughter said that he was molesting her and even though both the girl and the Mom changed their minds later and said they were lying, he had already been charged and is on the list. There's probably something he could do to have it all expunged from the record, but he's in a really low state since he had to do time in the pen and he's lost his family, etc. Someone else here is on the list cause they got drunk and ran around town flashing people. Two of those three situations were stupid things to do, but now those poor guys are considered sex offenders and none of those three are really a threat to anyone. Hopefully that's the situation with the three in Okay, Ok.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Brokenheart, IMHO they should do something to separate the crimes of sex offenders. We have several listed in the town we live in. We know a few of them. One was a boy who was 19 (?) and he slept with his 15 year old girlfriend. He isn't violent or a threat, but he's listed on the sex offender list, along with his pic. Another is a very nice guy who's wife wanted to get rid of him. Their teen daughter said that he was molesting her and even though both the girl and the Mom changed their minds later and said they were lying, he had already been charged and is on the list. There's probably something he could do to have it all expunged from the record, but he's in a really low state since he had to do time in the pen and he's lost his family, etc. Someone else here is on the list cause they got drunk and ran around town flashing people. Two of those three situations were stupid things to do, but now those poor guys are considered sex offenders and none of those three are really a threat to anyone. Hopefully that's the situation with the three in Okay, Ok.
Our listings here do have detail on the type of offense and the level of risk to the community, but still can make things worse sound worse than maybe they are. A year or so ago, a guy moved in nearby and his mug was posted on all the mailboxes and the school sent home flyers with it and everything. He was convicted and did time for child molesting or something that sounded pretty frightening. Turns out the guy was a high school teacher (like 20 years prior) who at the ripe old age of 24 had a fling with a senior in high school student. Not proper behavior by a teacher, but hardly a community threat. Actually, I am more concerned about the ones they don't know about.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 AM

One good thing is, in a town of 800 in OK, you can be pretty darn sure that the other 797 people know exactly who those offenders are and keep a close watch on them. I can assure you, those 3 guys won't be trying anything unless they have a death wish.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Offender I Ok

Thank you all for lifting my spirit. I had friends 20 years, the father was a great guy & father. We use to go out with them, had the same sitter for our kids and theres. At some point we hadn't been in there company for some time. Little did we find out the wife was fooling around for years. They finally split. Five years ago we bumped into he, he had just got out of prison. we were shocked. She claimed he molested the kids. Don't beleive it for a minute.He is now a registered sex offender for the rest of his life. So I do understand what your saying, but us not knowing the area they are in scares us to death.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:42 AM

I live in a pretty low-crime area and I barely let my kids out of my sight. Even in the backyard (fenced) I check on them constantly and our dog is always with them. You just can't be too careful anywhere, but you can do things to help keep them safe. Just takes some common sense and effort. Hopefully your daughter will exercise that.

I understand the point too, about offender registry. Lots of men are probably tagged with that who don't really deserve it, such as the cases of guys slightly over 18 who sleep with girls a little younger.

But there are some real dangerous men out there too. I like the idea of offenders being registered overall, I just wish they'd keep the violent ones and the ones who abuse children behind bars for GOOD (pedophiles aren't curable) so we didn't have to worry as much, but they let too many bad people go to make room for people convicted of petty, nonviolent crimes.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:53 PM

2 posts, read 17,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKENHEART View Post
Hello, I'm new at this so bear with me Please.Im from New Hampshire and My Heart Is Broken ! My Grandchildren Are 9 And 13, Always been by my side. The problem, my daughter met a guy from Okay,OK, They lived hear together for 2 years and without Any Notice they left with the Grandchildren to move to Okay. She never even said goodbye. My bigest concern is I have no Idea or do I know anything about The State Of Oklahoma. I only know they live in Okay. Can anyone tell me anything about this area, Good Or Bad? Hope to hear from someone.
Thanks, Brokenheart
Yes, I just followed my grandkids here and it is not as scenic as New Hampshire (we're from Maine). It gets way too hot and way way too sunny in the summer. We're mainly having difficulty finding places to hike and you just don't see people out walking at all ever. But there are a few decent town parks for the little ones and if you're grandkids go to the football games then they should be well in. There are stores to shop in and people are very quiet compared to the Northeast. I've never met such quiet people. There are horses and cows and a few rivers and man made lakes. Hitch a boat up to your car and come'on down and camp at one of the many campgrounds here and check it out. Best seasons are fall and spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma