Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 06:43 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

For those of you who think you missed it. The birthday is over, nothing much is happening in Oklahoma, let me tell you something....the party has just begun.

As a suggestion, let me offer you the Red Earth Festival.

Red Earth

For a taste of what it is about, here is a youtube video from the 2007 festival

YouTube - Red Earth Festival 2007

The Red Earth Native American Cultural Festival is one of America's most unique celebrations of American Indian cultures and traditions. For three thrilling days, June 6-8, 2008, members of more than 100 tribes from throughout North America will gather in Oklahoma City to celebrate and share in the richness and diversity of their heritage with the world.

Last edited by Synopsis; 12-03-2007 at 08:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
What a NEAT festival. I love the music and the Native American dress.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
For those of you who think you missed it. The birthday is over, nothing much is happening in Oklahoma, let me tell you something....the party has just begun.

As a suggestion, let me offer you the Red Earth Festival.

Red Earth

For a taste of what it is about, here is a youtube video from the 2007 festival

YouTube - Red Earth Festival 2007

The Red Earth Native American Cultural Festival is one of America's most unique celebrations of American Indian cultures and traditions. For three thrilling days, June 6-8, 2008, members of more than 100 tribes from throughout North America will gather in Oklahoma City to celebrate and share in the richness and diversity of their heritage with the world.

That sounds wonderful! And we will be living in OK by then!! I'm glad you posted this because I have been feeling a little down that we missed the big birthday celebration. Now I have something really neat to look forward to. Thanks for posting that. Native American history and culture are so fascinating to me since I studied it in college.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
The Art show is worth the price of admission. Believe me, they have some fantastic artists.

We kind of got mad at Red Earth because they became a little commercialized ($$ just to get in!) and even charged admission to the dancers!!! BAD BAD BAD. So, of course, the dancers started going elsewhere and the attendance went down.

But some new people came and hopefully, it will get better.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM

169 posts, read 580,554 times
Thumbs up Thanks Goodpasture!

We were thinking of driving to OK in July of '08, but after looking at the links from your post we may want to go in June instead. It looks like we would really enjoy the Red Earth festival. We could make it a stop on our way west to Ft. Sill. When my DH was stationed in OK years ago, he went to a PowWow here & there. He said they were really great.
Thanks for the info!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
That is just one of hundreds of things to do.

Go to TravelOK.com:* Official Oklahoma Tourism Info. Site and do a search....there are going to be dozens of pow wows, rodeos, and festivals all over the state. I just wanted to use the Red Earth Festival as an example of the diversity and fun that can be enjoyed, even after the birthday candles are put out.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,403,446 times
If those events include "calf fries", I'm there dude!

M.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:24 PM

169 posts, read 580,554 times
Default Hmmmmmmm.....

I'm pretty sure I'll have to pass on the calf fries! Although my father used to talk about eating them when he was an OTR trucker many years ago.

Looks like we'll have to order some brochures for 2008 after the holidays are over. Thanks again Goodpasture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma