Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:05 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

Advertisements

Had not heard of Monroe OK, so looked it up. It is near Poteau in Leflore County, population 157. 133 white people, 1 black person and 15 American Indians which leaves 8 more anonymous residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
This morning I emailed OK Senator Earl Garrison to inquire about Arrowhead and Fountainhead still being listed on Oklahoma Parks websites as if they are open and ready for business. Received an answer from his assistant that she has sent my request to the tourism department and will find out, so perhaps the information will be forthcoming before long.

Fountainhead Lodge and Resort has been demolished years ago, and the state changed the name of Fountainhead State Park that ajoined the lodge to "Lake Eufaula State Park". Lake Eufaula State Park is just 3 miles east of our farm. I am very familiar with this park. It's golf course is now being managed by the Creek Nation and rest of the park is managed by the state. The state has closed a lot of the park to traffic so a most of camping spaces and shelters are just sitting empty being reclaimed by nature. The miniature golf course has rotted away and now only a distant memory being reclaimed by the woods. The park still has a swimming beach, marina, heated fishing dock, boat ramps, nature trails, nature center, paved landing strip and much more, but still just a shell of itself.

Arrowhead lodge and Resort was sold to Narconon which I think is owned by the Church of Scientology. Arrowhead lodge is still standing and is used by Narconon as a drug rehab facility and is no longer called Arrowhead Lodge and Resort and is not open to the public. Arrowhead State Park is owned by the state and is open to the public, and has not had a name change like Fountainhead State Park did. Most of Arrowhead State Park is still open to the public unlike Lake Eufaula State Park formally known as Fountainhead State Park.

I don't know why the state still has Lake Eufaula State Park listed by its former name of Fountainhead State Parks.

I worked at Fountainhead Lodge and Resort for 7 years, it was a beautiful building, it is so sad to see it gone.

This link has some good pictures of Fountainhead Lodge and Resort.
http://www.playle.com/listing.php?i=KDL7390

Last edited by okie1962; 09-19-2014 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 03:28 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
In Ponca City, I guess you didn't drive by the run down houses not far from the Conoco plant.
Sure, Ponca City has that nasty refinery part of town, but Stillwater doesn't have anything remotely comparable to the area around the Pioneer Woman. Not many towns do.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:30 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Had not heard of Monroe OK, so looked it up. It is near Poteau in Leflore County, population 157. 133 white people, 1 black person and 15 American Indians which leaves 8 more anonymous residents.
I was joking when I mentioned Monroe. It's a tiny little town ( barely even a town), but it's situated at the foot of Sugarloaf Mountain in a very lush, hilly, green part of Oklahoma. It's less than 10 miles from Arkansas ( about 14 miles from Hartford, Arkansas). But it's definitely a one-horse town; I think it still has a general store, a small cafe, and a post office. It's a pretty place for those that like solitude and nature, but it would be hell for those who like city amenities. It does have an annual Old Timer's Day celebration that's popular with the older generation.

I used to spend every summer back in the Monroe, Howe, Poteau areas with family. It was backwoods for sure, but as a Southern California 'city boy,' I loved every minute of it!

Old 09-20-2014, 12:38 PM

Sounds like Monroe is a hamlet, since hamlets are smaller than towns or villages. My parents came to Oklahoma from the boonies of Arkansas, so we would go for a visit to the foot of Petit Jean Mountain in Arkansas where my grandma lived and I loved it so much, so I know how you feel about Monroe. I'm glad you mentioned it, since it was new to me and now it isn't. It was fun seeing the statistics re population.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:56 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Default Marilyn Monroe

Old 09-23-2014, 04:50 PM

We were visiting in Little Rock and, "The Seven Year Itch" was playing at a theater there and we went to see it. Laughed so much.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:51 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
We were visiting in Little Rock and, "The Seven Year Itch" was playing at a theater there and we went to see it. Laughed so much.
I lolllllll.....ln Tulsa OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma