Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:31 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

I have a weedeater that is relatively new. The darned thing will NOT run steadily (idle, or even without gunning it). It's always trying to die and most often does. Then, I have to shift back and forth between choke and more choke, pulling the start cord at each setting, and then eventually, back to half choke, where I have to catch it at just the right time before I can get it to stay running. And I'm constantly having to put the pedal to the medal as far as gas goes. It WILL NOT run in-between. I had another weedeater before this, and it was the same way. What the heck is wrong? BTW, it's one of those weedeater featherweights. I'll be happy to provide you with more information. I love the weedeater light weight and all, but darn it if they don't have some kind of problem with throttling. Could it be my gas mixture? I think it's right. I buy the little oil thing and mix it in with one gallon of gas and it's not putting out too much smoke or anything.

http://www.knife-depot.com/images/product/5_33725.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Synopsis,,,,,, You mean "You mean "Featherlite".......I,m working on your answer and what your can do.

BTW.. if a 2cycle smokes at all, that means there's either too much oil mix with gas or the gas hasn't been shaken (mixed) up good enough.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Synopsis,,,,,, You mean "You mean "Featherlite".......I,m working on your answer and what your can do.

BTW.. if a 2cycle smokes at all, that means there's either too much oil mix with gas or the gas hasn't been shaken (mixed) up good enough.
Thanks MK. It doesn't smoke at all, or rarely; I should have been clearer. I really appreciate your professional help.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 PM

You know, I think I am going senile lately. I read my post about the "featherweights." Geez, and I write for a living. I'm losin' it folks!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Put it this way,,,I would rather see "alittle" smoke to know that the engine is being lubrucated, than not.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You know, I think I am going senile lately. I read my post about the "featherweights." Geez, and I write for a living. I'm losin' it folks!

Old 04-12-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I have a weedeater that is relatively new. The darned thing will NOT run steadily (idle, or even without gunning it). It's always trying to die and most often does. Then, I have to shift back and forth between choke and more choke, pulling the start cord at each setting, and then eventually, back to half choke, where I have to catch it at just the right time before I can get it to stay running. And I'm constantly having to put the pedal to the medal as far as gas goes. It WILL NOT run in-between. I had another weedeater before this, and it was the same way. What the heck is wrong? BTW, it's one of those weedeater featherweights. I'll be happy to provide you with more information. I love the weedeater light weight and all, but darn it if they don't have some kind of problem with throttling. Could it be my gas mixture? I think it's right. I buy the little oil thing and mix it in with one gallon of gas and it's not putting out too much smoke or anything.

http://www.knife-depot.com/images/product/5_33725.jpg (broken link)
Let me just say that the bad part about "too much oil" or a smoking engine is,,,,,,eventually the smoke will cause the "spark arrester" and "exhaust port" to plug up, which in turn will cause , hard starting, bogging down, spark plug failure and loss of power.

OK, if it takes the use of the choke to keep it running, that means not enough gas is entering the carburetor. This can be caused by several things but usaully comes down to 1 or 2 things. you either have an "air leak" some where between the carb, and the fuel tank or gas is being restricted.

2cycle engines are "pressurized" including the carburetor and the gas tank.
The pressure is what helps the fuel transfer, a loose, leaking or if the gas cap was applied crooked,, can cause the gas tank to loose pressure.

BTW, is this fresh fuel you have in it?
Does it run better when it's turned in one certain position than another?
Try this,
>.Set it down on an even surface, remove the gas cap and look inside the tank to see if the fuel line and pick-up filter is sticking out of the gas.

>. is any gas, or can you see any gas leaking from,,,the gas cap, fuel line, primer, (is the carb,loose?)
(does it have a primer?)

There's some other things to check, but let me know what you find out here first,

Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 AM

Everything seems to be in order there. BUT, it isn't fresh fuel, it's fuel from about two months ago. The thing is, it has done this from day one. Maybe I need to run higher octane or something? Geez, a weedeater with a taste for the high life? I'll dump out all the old fuel and try some more. I got your DM about the idle, but after thinking about it I don't think the idle is set too low, because the darn thing wants to die and the only way to keep it running is full throttle and gunning the gas.. I'm beginning to believe it is an air leak more and more. Thanks for the pro advice MK. I'll investigate the air leak.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:01 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
We just paid $119 for our spring tune up on our old beat up Murray rider lawn mower. MK, you could make some bucks just tuning up these clunker rider lawn mowers that everyone has.

I could not believe the price. Our usual mechanic does not do spring tune ups any more. Part of that price was to have it hauled in since we don't have a trailer.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:25 PM

If it was just to be "serviced" it shouldn't have cost more than 65.00. unless parts had to be replaced, that can add up. Blades. oil, air filter, spark plug. ECT.

Murray sold out to MTD a couple of years ago. MTD equipment can be noted by the "3 blades of grass at the end of the name", which includes, Yardman, Yard Machine, Cub Cadet and now MTD owns "Troy Built"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma