Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times

Advertisements

Be careful out there.

CDC: Tomatoes eyed in salmonella cases in 9 states - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 08:39 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
How about an update on people's gardens. Anyone? We can't let countrybumpkin show off his cacti garden without some okie maters.

I have been remiss on the weeding part , so my garden resembles a lazy man's garden. We have watermelon the size of marbles, about 2 inches long.

We are on zucchini and squash diet now, but no maters. I would like to see Peg's awesome maters. Come on, Peg, belly up to the bar and punch up some pics! Or have you stopped weeding yours too!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:41 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,327,228 times
My chives are happy, I have a zillion little pecan trees [at least that's what I was told they were], half a zillion mimosas, my callas are blooming, and the lettuces in my kitchen window are pathetic - mostly because every time a decent leaf pops out, the bird gets it.

Next year. I want mints, rhubarb, a bay tree, a fig tree, sage, lavender, a persimmon, potatoes, and some other stuff.

Does any of that grow here?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
My chives are happy, I have a zillion little pecan trees [at least that's what I was told they were], half a zillion mimosas, my callas are blooming, and the lettuces in my kitchen window are pathetic - mostly because every time a decent leaf pops out, the bird gets it.

Next year. I want mints, rhubarb, a bay tree, a fig tree, sage, lavender, a persimmon, potatoes, and some other stuff.

Does any of that grow here?
I'm having some success with mint and sage.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
I'm having some success with mint and sage.
Oh, good! I used to get starts by buying fresh sprigs at the grocery, but in WA they are very careful to strip the leaves off the stems. I have a 3 gallon bucket full of seed packets, so I'll have to see what happens. Some of them are fairly old, so the germination rate won't be great. If mints do well, basil should, too, they are in the same family [I think]. I even have some hyacinth seeds - a couple years ago I bought a pathetic little bloomed-out pot, thinking I would plant the bulbs, but all those limp little blooms made seeds, too. I thought they were strictly bulbs, but I have a couple ounces of seeds to play with now, too.

I have GOT to find out what kinds of things do well, here.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:56 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,623,236 times
Here's how it looked at the end of May:

tomatoes & some of the corn

cantaloupes watermelons

corn, peppers, & tomatoes

June 15th

corn

tomatoes

cantaloupes, onions

Just the other day, some of the harvest:

Future mater

I'll take a few more pics and post in a couple of days. We already ate the corn and it was delicious! I put the pot of water on to boil, run out and pick the corn, shuck & clean it, boil, butter & salt. YUM!

Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 PM

How about CD comes up with a "Drool Alert" icon as well as a "Beverage Alert" icon?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:58 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times
http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/1.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/3.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/eating2/5.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/13.gif (broken link)

http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/3.gif (broken link)

Old 06-30-2008, 06:08 PM

215 posts, read 525,253 times
Default Good lookin' garden

Hey yawl!

Thanks Peggy. That is lookin' good. Man, don't I wish! I can't believe your corn. No luck at all for me with that. Have had luck with maters in the past. Got started late and the maters are in pots and growing but the nights are too hot to set the blooms. But they should start puttin' out in Sept. when the nights calm down. I did put in a Watermelon. Started in a pot, but saw that was going to be a problem, so I put it in the ground over the weekend. It is growing like crazy in the 110 deg heat and it loves the sun, but now that it's in the ground it gets more mottled shade during the day. We'll see. I do have blossoms and I found two raisen sized melons already. I don't know if they will make it, but I can hope. I'll try to get some pics, but I'm new at this stuff. Have the camera and have managed to get them on the pooter, just have to try to get them on here. The only way I ran into you guys was checking out how to google and put in Tahlequah, to test fly it and sure enough, as I'm readin' I find the forum and went lookin'. Haven't had so much fun and gathered so much information in years. Thanks for the update.

RB, are some of the weeds edible? When I was back there I had lambs quarter or whatever it is in the yard, and was told it's good cooked. Never tried. But nowadays, I ain't plantin' nuthin' you can't it. I just hope it will grow. Weeds, schmeeds, just reach through them and pick. You can make lotsa noise and scare the snakes outta there first. When I take some pics, I'll show you some cacti! Got 15 footers on east side along the property line that get huge white flowers (Night blooming Cirrus, I think) and grow like weeds too, even with no water.

Kari, did you garden in AK? That would be interesting! I've seen pics of beautiful gardens up there. How do they do so good with such short seasons? Can't do rhubarb here, too hot and I like it a lot.

Coleen, is that the extent of your garden? Mint for tea?

Gotta water NOW. Only 113 out there.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,791,870 times
No, I don't have an extensive garden, but it's more than mint. We didn't start early enough -- we were still unpacking from our move. We have watermelon, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, basil, mint, sage, greek oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme, and dill. Anna has a small pot with corn started, but it's not doing too well.

Next year we hope to put in a respectable garden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma