Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 09:33 PM

34 posts, read 116,068 times

Advertisements

We're thinking about moving to Grove...near Grand Lake. Can someone answer a few questions for me?

* How are the pests: mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks, snakes?
*Much snow in winter?
* Are utilities reasonable for a 3 bedroom house?
*How are propertry taxes?
*Is this a "dry" county?
Any other ideas, opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:49 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,981,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogter View Post
* How are the pests: mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks, snakes?
They are doing fine, thank you

Try to avoid the tourists, though, those pests will drive you nuts.

Quote:
*Much snow in winter?
Not really enough to measure. You can tell it is going to be a major blizzard (more than 1/2 inch) by people stocking up at the super markets and the farm stores running out of generators. Or you can simply stay home and talk to folks about it two days later at the marina.

Quote:
* Are utilities reasonable for a 3 bedroom house?
Not sure what reasonable means. It isn't much higher than elsewhere in Oklahoma, and I bet my 2 bedroom 1100 foot house used $300 in propane last year, so it can get pretty expensive.

Quote:
*How are propertry taxes?
Below what you pay now, where ever that is

Quote:
*Is this a "dry" county?
I was too drunk to notice last time I was there.

Quote:
Any other ideas, opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
The worst tourist pests are the geriatrics......it's almost as though they have nothing to do but chat with strangers. They will keep you occupied in supermarkets, tire and battery stores, and bait and sushi bars for hours on end. BTW, most bait only shops do not serve mixed drinks.....just beer.
Quote:
Thanks!
Anytime, let us know when you get settled in, we will all come visit.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
It's too bad geriatrics aren't welcome in Grove since it is marketed as one of the top four retirement areas in the country - and has been for the past 25 years..

Grove is one of the prettiest places in the US. Heavily forested rolling hills, a lake that takes 4 hours to drive around, sailing, fishing, breathtaking sceneryl Grove has it all. It also has a pretty good hospital and pretty good doctors. The Cardiologist is one of the best in his field. Walmoart and Lowe's, too. It is a self contained town that has most of the comforts. It's country with spice. It's fun and the people are generally nice. We had one bad snow in 20 years. It was gone in three days; I didn't lose power and I was in the county. .

The bad news is summer traffic. There are two major roads in Grove. East-West is Third Street. It begins at the MO border and goes west to Afton/1-44. Main Street is between Thrid Street and South to Jay - the county seat. Thirteenth Street is an E-W Street that passes along side of a srip mall and the hospital. Any place North of 13th and Main is a good location because it gives you access to all the side roads that avoids the traffic jams and parades. You will be able to do most anything you want to do with a minimum of aggravaton. You don't hae this advantage on the East side of 13th. If ou are determined to live in the county, look on Lake Road 6.
You should be able to buy 3 bedroom for 80k and up. You cannot avoid RE tazes and utilites. We are creatures of comfort. There are some mobile home parks but I don't particularly like them; they're mostly week-enders. There is a lovely state park at the end of Lake Road 1. It is full facility plus it has a boat ramp. Grove has one private sailing club with a boat launch. They are usually pretty good about letting visiting sailors use the launch, but it is a good idea to ask in advance.

Plan on spraying your yard every month from Mach to October. If you plan on it , that will save you a lot of grief with bugs. Ok has a lot of them because of the lake and heavily forrested areas. Stay away from the national raaltors and stick to the guys that have been there for years. They will find a place that will fit your lifestyle perfectly.

Welcome home! .

Old 08-28-2008, 09:35 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
HI Rogter, the only info I have is from research I've done, but I'd be happy to share it with you.

The average yearly snowfall is about 9 inches. But when we were there, we spoke with the motel manager/owner who told us they had a freak snowstorm a few years back and had 10 inches at one time. He did say that was quite unusual though.

Utilities in all of OK seem to be very low. They're about 75% of the U.S. average. Lucky me~mine are 135% of the average.

According to statistics, property tax in Grove is. $8.25 per 1,000. Lucky me again cause mine are around $21 per 1,000. If you're planning on retiring, that would be a perfect spot. It really is beautiful there~actually one of my favorite places.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:23 AM

702 posts, read 2,517,455 times
I've lived on the south end of Grand for 10 years and absolutely love it! Bugs are a huge problem, especially if you are water front. Spiders mainly, mosquitoes aren't too bad but I have a martin house and so do all my neighbors. But the spiders are very very very bad, although you can spray or buy an expensive mist away or spider be gone misting system.

No snow to speak of, it's a non issue, occasionally we have ice, which is worse! The traffic in Grove is non-existent, pace is a little slow with a little bit of traffic during the summer but no one is in a hurry so it's no big deal.

Grove is building a new hospital so good health care and lots of docs since many elderly people live around the lake.

Utilities are very affordable, property taxes are low. My house is valued around $700K and I pay around $2200/year.
Here is a pic taken from my dock:

My dock:

Old 08-31-2008, 12:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
They are doing fine, thank you

Try to avoid the tourists, though, those pests will drive you nuts.

Not really enough to measure. You can tell it is going to be a major blizzard (more than 1/2 inch) by people stocking up at the super markets and the farm stores running out of generators. Or you can simply stay home and talk to folks about it two days later at the marina.

Not sure what reasonable means. It isn't much higher than elsewhere in Oklahoma, and I bet my 2 bedroom 1100 foot house used $300 in propane last year, so it can get pretty expensive.

Below what you pay now, where ever that is

I was too drunk to notice last time I was there.

The worst tourist pests are the geriatrics......it's almost as though they have nothing to do but chat with strangers. They will keep you occupied in supermarkets, tire and battery stores, and bait and sushi bars for hours on end. BTW, most bait only shops do not serve mixed drinks.....just beer.

Anytime, let us know when you get settled in, we will all come visit.
you think $300 a year to heat your house is expensive: I don't know where you have lived all your life. I know people who pay almost that much per month. Maybe they have a little bigger house, but $300 isn't high.

Nita

Old 08-31-2008, 02:40 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
Here is a pic taken from my dock:
Wow!! That is a fantastic house! Beautiful! No wonder you are as happy as a lark.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you think $300 a year to heat your house is expensive: I don't know where you have lived all your life. I know people who pay almost that much per month. Maybe they have a little bigger house, but $300 isn't high.

Nita
That propane was for cooking only. And it was actually more like $200.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

Plan on spraying your yard every month from Mach to October.
Yes, please do. Oklahoma's lakes and water supplies are way too clean and unpolluted.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
But the spiders are very very very bad, although you can spray or buy an expensive mist away or spider be gone misting system.
Of course, you could leave the spiders alone so they will eat the other bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma