Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's not that, I still haven't switched the modem to my new computer, and internet temp files clog up the old one. I have to reboot after just visiting facebook.
You need to either back-up your files, defrag, or clean the disk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You need to either back-up your files, defrag, or clean the disk.
Done all that. It's just that my old computer has too many programs on it, and only 160 megs of RAM. There's still plenty of room for files - half of the hard drives are free, it's the internet temp files that gets overloaded. I've been slowly removing some of the programs as I put them on the new one, but it hasn't made much difference yet.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Default quack quack!

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/34423122001

Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM

Location: Where deer are milk cows and hoot owls are chickens and near where Big Foot is occasionally seen.
105 posts, read 397,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Done all that. It's just that my old computer has too many programs on it, and only 160 megs of RAM. There's still plenty of room for files - half of the hard drives are free, it's the internet temp files that gets overloaded. I've been slowly removing some of the programs as I put them on the new one, but it hasn't made much difference yet.
Ouch! 160 megs or RAM is way to little. You might increase performance by setting your "Swap File" size larger than it probably is, that way you will be allocating some more hard drive space for the computer to use as a kind of "memory" to load and run programs. Also look at downloading and installing CCleaner. Dandy little program that will clean up your temp files and clear a lot of memory out when you use it. The program is free and may help you out there. Best bet is slap some more memory in that PC, that will make all the difference in the world!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 PM

Or compress your files to "zipper files"

My PC crashed this s morning, at least that's what I was suppose to think. Some unactivated Anti-virus program found it's way on to my desk top and started a fake scan. then pop-up messages started telling me that my PC was infested with trojans and password stealing viruses.
Something just wasn't right because in order to remove these viruses, I had to activate this program onto my PC. After a couple of hours of trying to remove the program, I went to "system tools" set a "restore point" to reset my PC back to yesterday, and then hit restore.
That got rid of it.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman09 View Post
Ouch! 160 megs or RAM is way to little. You might increase performance by setting your "Swap File" size larger than it probably is, that way you will be allocating some more hard drive space for the computer to use as a kind of "memory" to load and run programs. Also look at downloading and installing CCleaner. Dandy little program that will clean up your temp files and clear a lot of memory out when you use it. The program is free and may help you out there. Best bet is slap some more memory in that PC, that will make all the difference in the world!
I know it's too little, I've been told more than once it shouldn't even be able to run the programs I have on it. I have a second computer that's destined for the internet, and my old one will be strictly a word processor. I just haven't had the nerve to switch the modem yet. The new one is set up and running, I just keep procrastinating, because I know it's gonna be a nightmare convincing my regular sites that the new one is really me. It took me a solid year to get all my email addresses changed with various financial sites.

Hard drive space isn't a problem, the old one has two hard drives and there's plenty of room on them. It's the RAM and the internet temp files that goo everything up.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Or compress your files to "zipper files"

My PC crashed this s morning, at least that's what I was suppose to think. Some unactivated Anti-virus program found it's way on to my desk top and started a fake scan. then pop-up messages started telling me that my PC was infested with trojans and password stealing viruses.
Something just wasn't right because in order to remove these viruses, I had to activate this program onto my PC. After a couple of hours of trying to remove the program, I went to "system tools" set a "restore point" to reset my PC back to yesterday, and then hit restore.
That got rid of it.
I got one of those several months ago, and didn't download anything. I just ran a regular scan with AVG and that cleaned it all up.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Your NEW computer doesn't have a modem? I thought all computers have a built in modem these days. It probably has plug and play.

You have done an amazing amount of things in your life. I know you can do this, Kari. Come on, we all believe in you.

This will be the Official Get Kari to Set Up Her New Computer thread.

I will even bribe you.

First bid: 50 apples for your horse if you do it.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Your NEW computer doesn't have a modem? I thought all computers have a built in modem these days. It probably has plug and play.

You have done an amazing amount of things in your life. I know you can do this, Kari. Come on, we all believe in you.

This will be the Official Get Kari to Set Up Her New Computer thread.

I will even bribe you.

First bid: 50 apples for your horse if you do it.
Come on RB..ya gotta do better than that.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Come on RB..ya gotta do better than that.
... and one for the goat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma