Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

There is a thread on whether or not Shawnee is like Austin, several on how Tulsa and OKC are the same, several on how they are different, lots of posts about whether Oklahoma is southern, western, mid-western.

Let me let you in on a secret...Tulsa is like Tulsa. OKC is like OKC. They are not like Phoenix or Little Rock or Birmingham or Austin or San Antonio. Oklahoma is not western, it is not southern, it is not mid-western. IT is Oklahoma. You can find elements of all of the above in all of the above.

It is easy to tell the various places apart. They have different names, they are located in different places, and they are inhabited by different people.

do you think we can get past the " _______ is like ________ only different" nonsense?

Tulsa is a great little city. OKC is a great little city. Can't we leave it at that? If you have to expound, talk about what makes them great. Talk about thier liabilities. But don't try to talk about how because Bricktown has a canal that it is like San Antonio......it is misleading.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
So true. I've been all over the country, and I have NEVER seen a city I could compare to another city. They all have their own flavor, culture and presence. Phoenix is just Phoenix, Reno is just Reno, and Oklahoma City is just that. Oklahoma City. Don't much care what section of the country we've been designated as.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
The whole comparison thing reminds me of high school. I had an American history teacher whose tests were usually like this: "Compare and contrast Administration X with Administration Y. You have one hour. Be bright."

Old 05-13-2009, 02:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
I don't get describing Oklahoma City and Tulsa as little unless you're thinking of comparing them to New York City, Chicago, or LA.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
There is a thread on whether or not Shawnee is like Austin, several on how Tulsa and OKC are the same, several on how they are different, lots of posts about whether Oklahoma is southern, western, mid-western.

Let me let you in on a secret...Tulsa is like Tulsa. OKC is like OKC. They are not like Phoenix or Little Rock or Birmingham or Austin or San Antonio. Oklahoma is not western, it is not southern, it is not mid-western. IT is Oklahoma. You can find elements of all of the above in all of the above.

It is easy to tell the various places apart. They have different names, they are located in different places, and they are inhabited by different people.

do you think we can get past the " _______ is like ________ only different" nonsense?

Tulsa is a great little city. OKC is a great little city. Can't we leave it at that? If you have to expound, talk about what makes them great. Talk about thier liabilities. But don't try to talk about how because Bricktown has a canal that it is like San Antonio......it is misleading.........
Goodpasture, I see your point, but I notice in other state forums, they do it all the time, because people are trying to gauge an idea of what one area is like, over another, and will it be a good fit. I.E. if you like..such and such town, in another state, you may like, this town, in this state, as opposed to the other town, in the same state.

Granted, I can see how people, become irritated, when you make, drastic comparisons, I.E. living in Cali and putting down Idaho.
The trick is, find a similar place in, i.e. Idaho, if possible.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't get describing Oklahoma City and Tulsa as little unless you're thinking of comparing them to New York City, Chicago, or LA.
More than likely they mean, the amount of people per sq foot, density thing. A city here, and a city somewhere else, may be same size, land wise, but the number of people living here, or there, may be sizably different.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Even compared to NYC , Oklahhoma City is not little

Old 05-13-2009, 04:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Even compared to NYC , Oklahhoma City is not little
At about 1/20th the size, it is relatively small. Have you ever been to NYC? It's huge. Oklahoma City, IMO, is not a small city, but in comparison to the Big Apple it's quite tiny.

But I prefer smaller cities. The DFW area is way too big for me at nearly 7 million people.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
At about 1/20th the size, it is relatively small. Have you ever been to NYC? It's huge. Oklahoma City, IMO, is not a small city, but in comparison to the Big Apple it's quite tiny.

But I prefer smaller cities. The DFW area is way too big for me at nearly 7 million people.
Are you talking about population or physical size? (Square Miles)

NYC is 303.3 square miles, and OKC is 607.0 square miles. Obviously population density would put NYC waaaay ahead though.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
Are you talking about population or physical size? (Square Miles)

NYC is 303.3 square miles, and OKC is 607.0 square miles. Obviously population density would put NYC waaaay ahead though.
I'm sure he's talking about population, although I don't know if you are joking or not cuz you're a tuff nut to crack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma