Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,985 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We will be moving to Lawton, Oklahoma in July of 2009. My spouse is Army and Fort Sill is our next Station.
I really need some information on the area and up to 15 miles out of Lawton OK. I have been looking for 6 months now and all of it has been bad. I am sure there will be no Housing available so we will have to find a home outside of post, and how long do you think we will have to stay in a Hotel or INN?
Right now we are in Germany and will have to fly there, so i will not be able to come and check anything out before we get there. If anybody has any info please pass it on to me.

Thank you all for your time
Avis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 PM

197 posts, read 522,144 times
There is a huge waiting list for housing like 2 years... however being that you are coming from overseas you will get moved closer to the top of the list, not that this will help much. Lawton has its good sides and its bad sides. The best sides are the North East and South East. We got here in June 2008 and rented a home off post for about 8 months then decided to buy one, since it is actually cheaper to own your home here then it is to rent it. Whatever you do not rent from Sundance rentals in lawton, they have a very bad reputation, they dont take care of their properties nor do they ever return your security deposit.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,408 times
I'm on the wait list for housing and they said it's a 90-day wait. The wait depends on rank and how many bedrooms you need... You can also be placed on the wait list up to 90 days before the report date on your orders.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 PM

102 posts, read 287,653 times
Good luck on being on the waiting list. We waited 8 months and finally got housing on post. I'd rather buy a house so we can be in the desirable school district. But there's a nice Christian private school for the kids so we're happy. Even was happier when I found out that housing mows the lawn for us. Nice not having to sweat outside specially during those sweltering summer days.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 PM

Well, the first 9 weeks of school is completed today. We are actually happy and impressed with Central Middle School here in Lawton. Geronimo Elementary on post is awesome!!!! Everything turned out to be great! For being a first time on post residents, we are loving it here. Great neighbors and there's lots of kids for my girls to play with. Loving the lakes and the mountains as well. Basic shopping is sufficient for everyday needs. For those ambivalent about pcs'ing here, it's not that bad if you are devoted to raising your family and not looking for nightlife. After taking care of the family's needs, there's not enough energy to have a night life.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 10,000 times
Default Lawton, Oklahoma: Fort Sill OK ( Please Help !!!!!!!!! )

Have you found what you needed to know?

LH

Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,494 times
Moving to FT. Sill end of may. Would love to find out how housing is on base and off. Was looking for towns that are close to fort sill if we lived off post. Please help. Just got orders a few weeks ago and yeh talk about a little shocked to see we have to move so quickly haha. Would also like to know what are the really good high schools for my kids. thank you th

Old 03-31-2011, 01:45 AM

6 posts, read 12,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tina h View Post
Moving to FT. Sill end of may. Would love to find out how housing is on base and off. Was looking for towns that are close to fort sill if we lived off post. Please help. Just got orders a few weeks ago and yeh talk about a little shocked to see we have to move so quickly haha. Would also like to know what are the really good high schools for my kids. thank you th
I've been at Sill for about two years. The first year we lived in Lawton, the second on post. We where on the wait list for about a year for a 3 bedroom but then turned it down because we where already renting. We had another child and got into a 4 bedroom after a 90 day wait. So like any post the wait list can be long but you probably know that score.

First the bad. The housing choices in Lawton are limited unless you want a 3 bedroom/1 bath cheaply ranch with no garage. There's no sidewalks, kids walk to school in the street which I found really weird. Petty crime is high so lock up your stuff. I had my lawn mower stolen out of my own backyard once so lock up always. I got it back BTW when I saw someone pushing it down the street a few days later looking to cut lawns for a few bucks. the person went to jail, had warrants, hope it was worth it. I used to get people knocking on my door asking to do odd jobs and sell me stolen stuff all the time. It's kinda run down, the downtown is a ghost town the development is on a main road and it's all strip malls and such so not much local feel to it which is normal for a place with such a large transient population.

That's the bad, there is good however. There's lots of outdoors stuff to do and family-type stuff as well. Forget nightlife however. Rents are cheap in town and you can live within your BAH in most cases. The people are for the most part very nice and I rarely encountered a rude clerk or government worker(except on post). It's military friendly, without the post I think Lawton would disappear. I've had excellent experiences with the schools. My kids are in middle school and elementary so I don't know about the high school yet. My son has a minor learning disability that makes concentration difficult. He struggled in Texas because of the lack of attention and poor standards there but here in OK he gets the help he needs and we get plenty of support from his school.

We are much happier on post but I think that is a personal preference on our part. I like a short commute, doctor's being close etc. Also for a 4 bedroom we pay less in housing than we would in town. If I where you I'd stay away from the big rental companies (especially Sundance, horrible company) and concentrate on the newspaper or AHRN. If you don't mind a commute there are some pleasant places to live outside of town. Cache, Geronimo, Elgin, Marlow and Duncan spring to mind for me immediately. Anything outside of the city center will be nicer than in town. Stay away from "low" street numbers, lettered streets and the streets named after Presidents those are pretty bad neighborhoods. Message me if you have any other questions.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 PM

I live on post and loving it! It took about 8 months to get in. My husband came here first since we couldn't sell our house in Ft. Hood. I and our children stayed behind till we got post housing. Picerne is managing post housing and they take care of the lawn for us. Only thing we have to do is keep the flower weed free! My oldest child goes to Lawton HS. The youngest one attends elem at Geronimo Road school on post. Both are happy there overall. My 9th grade feels safe in LHS. Both children's teachers have been wonderful. I love the convenience of living on post. The gymn, the commissary, px, library, golf, etc... are right there. This is our first time living on post and loving it! Good luck with your move!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM

8 posts, read 35,821 times
I posted on another thread that I'm selling a house on the east side if you are interested in buying. The address is 106 NE Babbitt in the Pioneer Park Addition. It's a remodeled four bedroom with a huge back yard with a shade tree. Plus it's close to Pioneer Park Elm and MacArthur High School. The neighborhood had a nice park and is close to the water park. (580) 574-0563
A lot of people do like living on the east side. Plus Lawton is renovating an area near downtown in hopes to improve shopping and entertainment in the area. We have quite a few nice restaurants including some that aren't chains but pretty good food. Plus there are some outdoor concerts and we enjoy the Musuem. Plus there are lots of summer camps for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma