Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 AM

30 posts, read 62,608 times

Advertisements

lol gorgeous landscape? you must like flat hills and lots of fields! i grew up in okc and moved to norman a few years ago. lifestyle is variable, depending on age. northside okc/edmond is higher class, a lot of businesses, stores, malls, hoitey-toits...etc. norman is a younger crowd b/c of the university so you get what comes along with that--pubs, diners, clubs, yuppie stuff. in okc downtown has a lot to offer for nightlife i.e. river cruise, canal, clubs, bars, concerts, bricktown. schools in the city aren't very good, but norman, moore, and edmond are pretty good. the further you get away from this central area, the more country you get. depends on how hip vs. how laid back you want to be. i personally am tired of this state and am ready to move outta here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 PM

240 posts, read 559,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandydpierce View Post
lol gorgeous landscape? you must like flat hills and lots of fields! i grew up in okc and moved to norman a few years ago. lifestyle is variable, depending on age. northside okc/edmond is higher class, a lot of businesses, stores, malls, hoitey-toits...etc. norman is a younger crowd b/c of the university so you get what comes along with that--pubs, diners, clubs, yuppie stuff. in okc downtown has a lot to offer for nightlife i.e. river cruise, canal, clubs, bars, concerts, bricktown. schools in the city aren't very good, but norman, moore, and edmond are pretty good. the further you get away from this central area, the more country you get. depends on how hip vs. how laid back you want to be. i personally am tired of this state and am ready to move outta here!
I never got to visit at the end of September like I thought I am originally from the Midwest, so I kinda like that widely spread out, flat environment. The coasts are just getting too over-populated. With wanting to move out, I can easily relate. I live in NC and I would not recommend this place either. NC is so much like Texas (with ppl. having excessive forms of pride, and getting agitated for exposing the truth about their states.) As I write this, I last drove through OK(C) 5 years ago. The landscape *seemed* appealing. I liked it. I'll have all of what you said in mind. Thanks. Good luck on your move.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM

81 posts, read 293,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I know this post is a little old, but I was considering a move to the state of Oklahoma myself too. I was wondering if anybody here could tell me a little about the state (i.e. lifestyle, cost of living, nightlife, schools, etc.) I drove through Oklahoma years ago, and I thought the state's landscape was gorgeous, and these voices in my head are telling me to go for it. In other words, tell me why I should or should not move here.

I do think it depends on what you are looking for.
I will try to cover some of the things you asked about.

Lifestyle - to be honest, I think Oklahoma is more laid back than most states. In the bigger cities there is going to be more hustle and bustle mainly because of thier size. Out in the country, it is what one might think, stores close up when it gets dark and it is just really nice and quiet.

Cost of living - just depends on where you live. In OKC and Tulsa I think it cost abit more to live due to higher cost of rent / housing and such.

Nightlife - again just depends on what you are looking for. One can find just about anything to do for entertainment, from Pro Sports, Minor League sports, College sports, The Arts and Festivals, Night Clubs ect..

Schools - Many different Colleges in Oklahoma. NAIA, Divison II, Division I schools. Community Colleges are a plenty too as well as Technical schools.

Now to as why or why not you should move here...
I personally love this state. I have lived here almost all my life.
I live in the SW part of Oklahoma, the Wichita Mountain are pretty much in my back yard. Beautiful all year round.
Weather is perfect. Spring is 70's - 80's, Summer are hot, Fall is 70's-90's and Winter can be confusing. Right now it is perfect. Cool mornings and evening while we have warm afternoons.
Housing in this area is really below market prices and have been for the last few years.

I just had a friend and his wife move here from Washington State because they couldn't find a job there and the housing market crashed. He got a job here before he left the state and found a house that he could rent within a week of getting here.

Why you shouldn't move here?
If you have kids in High School, they might hate you for moving here and making them leave their friends.
Weather can be kind of a pain, Tornados do tend to find Oklahoma every year, last year we had a Blizzard for the first time in ages. Ice also seems to be apart of our winters more than Snow does.

Basicly it just depends on you and your family. If you are ready to move out of NC for a change then Oklahoma might just be for you. Easiest way to figure this out is to come here for a vacation and take a tour of the state to see if it really is for you.

Shoot me a private message if you would like more info.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j67bubba View Post
I do think it depends on what you are looking for.
I will try to cover some of the things you asked about.

Lifestyle - to be honest, I think Oklahoma is more laid back than most states. In the bigger cities there is going to be more hustle and bustle mainly because of thier size. Out in the country, it is what one might think, stores close up when it gets dark and it is just really nice and quiet.

Cost of living - just depends on where you live. In OKC and Tulsa I think it cost abit more to live due to higher cost of rent / housing and such.

Nightlife - again just depends on what you are looking for. One can find just about anything to do for entertainment, from Pro Sports, Minor League sports, College sports, The Arts and Festivals, Night Clubs ect..

Schools - Many different Colleges in Oklahoma. NAIA, Divison II, Division I schools. Community Colleges are a plenty too as well as Technical schools.

Now to as why or why not you should move here...
I personally love this state. I have lived here almost all my life.
I live in the SW part of Oklahoma, the Wichita Mountain are pretty much in my back yard. Beautiful all year round.
Weather is perfect. Spring is 70's - 80's, Summer are hot, Fall is 70's-90's and Winter can be confusing. Right now it is perfect. Cool mornings and evening while we have warm afternoons.
Housing in this area is really below market prices and have been for the last few years.

I just had a friend and his wife move here from Washington State because they couldn't find a job there and the housing market crashed. He got a job here before he left the state and found a house that he could rent within a week of getting here.

Why you shouldn't move here?
If you have kids in High School, they might hate you for moving here and making them leave their friends.
Weather can be kind of a pain, Tornados do tend to find Oklahoma every year, last year we had a Blizzard for the first time in ages. Ice also seems to be apart of our winters more than Snow does.

Basicly it just depends on you and your family. If you are ready to move out of NC for a change then Oklahoma might just be for you. Easiest way to figure this out is to come here for a vacation and take a tour of the state to see if it really is for you.

Shoot me a private message if you would like more info.

Thanks for letting me know. I have sent you a private message just the same. It's good to know about the weather because I really can not stand North Carolina summers; they are too hot and humid. In fact, I really am sick of NC and want out like a hole in the head. However, due to insufficient funds and other problems, I have to ''suck it in.'' I really can't cope with the madness of this state (NC) everyone likes moving to, and is gullible enough to believe what Money/Forbes says. The whole state of NC is very over-rated if you ask me. I just might get to visit Tulsa in a month if things go as planned. I was supposed to go to OKC (and Tulsa) a few months ago but it never happened

I can easily relate to that about Washington because both the state and the capital is really the LAST place I would move to. It's hard enough with people constantly moving from WA to NC and changing the culture. The hustle and bustle unfortunately exists in each and every NC city, and I think it's ridiculous. The ''rural'' parts of NC are not as ''rural'' as they used to be. Everyone here (I'e say about 99.9% of the people) rushes like there is no tomorrow (even in the middle of nowhere.) The whole idea NC has about ''small towns with that urban feel'' has to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my entire life. The job market in NC is very unsatisfactory and people's work ethic here is a bunch of horse manure.

From my personal experience, visiting does always seem to be the best way to go, and I do it constantly to make a determination. It always pays off. If only more people would go in that direction instead of just relying on what other magazines say. The best part about NC is actually leaving it. My last stay in Oklahoma was a pleasant one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I know this post is a little old, but I was considering a move to the state of Oklahoma myself too. I was wondering if anybody here could tell me a little about the state (i.e. lifestyle, cost of living, nightlife, schools, etc.) I drove through Oklahoma years ago, and I thought the state's landscape was gorgeous, and these voices in my head are telling me to go for it. In other words, tell me why I should or should not move here.
Just move to Stillwater(schools are OK. So is nightlife, but people are more into going to church) and decide what to do from there. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are just an hour's drive away and so you can go there to sample those places to see if you like them any better. Much of what Oklahoma is all about revolves around the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:03 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I lved in NEOK area for about 25 years. I prefer Tulsa I suppose because I shopped there frequently. It is considered the Art Center of OK. OKC is fueled by schools and government - which is not entirely bad as the Mayor of OKC is in the running for the title of World Mayor. Overall your true nightlife is in Tulsa and OKC. The COL as a whoile is cheaper than almost any large Metro area you can name. You'll find good medical care in Tulsa. This is not to say OKC is lacking; I know nothing about it. Tulsa U is a good school; my lawyer took his JD degree there. My children were adilts when I moved to OK, so I have no first hand experience with K-12 students. Crime is no better or no worse than any other town the size of Tulsa.

OK as a whole is different breed of southern cat. It is a red state and solidly Republican, although you can find pockets of Democrats and Independents. OKC and Tulsa can experience tornaodoes and horrid weather; be careful where you move. The weather as a whole is 4 season. Winters can be very cold but not normally. The coldest month is February. It is not uncommon to find BBQ's fired up on NY Day and the cooks in short sleeve shirts, or to hear the Rebel Yell on midnight on New Year's. OKlahoman's are generally good-hearted and happy, but you will find the occassional grinch.

OK is the Native state. One of the biggest annual cultural events is the Red Eartn Powwow at OKC. Tulsa has a large Intertribal Powwow. A third is in the Arbuckle Mountains. You can find Native American events like this, big and small, all over the state. You can find the Five Tribes Museum in Muskogee, OK and the Nine Tribes Headquarters in Miami, OK.

Between the MO border and Tulsa, you can find these things in NEOK:
. 60 mile long Grand Lake with fishing, stailing, lake cruises and fishing guides
. The world's longest multiple-arge dam at Langley
. Harbor Village, the world's largest antique museum, build on the shores of Grand Lake
. Lendonwood Gardens. A botanical garden filled with Japanese plants.
. The first Catholic Church in Delaware County. It was built by Chief Splitlog for his wife.
. The grave of NA Brig. Gen. Stand Wattie, CSA He was last Civil War officer to surrender.
. The spring Azalea Festival at Honor Park at Muskogee.

Oklahoma is a visually, culturally and scenically interesting with its rolling tree covered hills and lakes to its red clay western borner. You'll find authentic cowboys, millionaires, first pioneer family descendants, upscale shopping, restaurants, performing arts and entertainment. Tulsa has two malls, several shpping centers, civic center for large events, universities and three hospitals.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Just move to Stillwater(schools are OK. So is nightlife, but people are more into going to church) and decide what to do from there. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are just an hour's drive away and so you can go there to sample those places to see if you like them any better. Much of what Oklahoma is all about revolves around the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas.
The economy in Stillwater may not be all that great, because I heard a homeless person in Stillwater couldn't find a place because the shelter was full and so he had to WALK to Oklahoma City to find a place.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
The economy in Stillwater may not be all that great, because I heard a homeless person in Stillwater couldn't find a place because the shelter was full and so he had to WALK to Oklahoma City to find a place.

Sad but true. The same thing has happened over here in NC where I live. At least I haven't had to go in that direction yet. At this rate, it may happen. Then it would be the one and only chance to get out of NC (that one over-rated-most-moved-to-cesspool in the country I hate with a passion.) However, with the economy and bad as it is, jobs are now scarce and people are losing their homes

Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:

If I get a chance to visit next month, I will be going towards Tulsa though. Like I am sure I said, I was supposed to visit a few months ago, but with no employment and money, it was not possible. Not to mention that both of the events I wanted to attend were cancelled I would be an upgrade from all three of the coasts which are getting so saturated with people. California (and North Carolina) would be a good example. I'll have what you are saying in mind. Thanks.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
In hearing more he only started out walking to OKC and got a ride or so along the way. So people are still picking up strangers on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma