Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM

8,065 posts, read 10,663,423 times

Advertisements

This will probably get bumped, but I am wondering what the effect of the HB1804 immigration law has had on the state since it's passage, both negative or positive.

I almost moved to Oklahoma two years ago, but family and a job brought me back here to North Carolina, where immigration is a big issue, especially in the Charlotte, North Carolina area.

I am wondering what effect the laws the Oklahoma legislature put in place have had, if any. I would appreciate your perspective. Georgia passed somewhat similar laws.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM

8,065 posts, read 10,663,423 times
Well, I guess that means it hasn't had much of an effect either way! Must be a sore subject or something.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 11,917 times
Report’s findings can be broadly summarized into two major points. The first is that passage and implementation of HB 1804 has not had a dramatic impact on immigrants’ use of public services. The report finds little evidence of change in use of health care services, public school enrollment, or participation in Head Start programs. Despite much sound and fury about tightening eligibility for public benefits, the reality was that undocumented immigrants were already precluded from accessing most public benefits, such as food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare or cash assistance, following passage of federal legislation in the mid-1990s. The verification requirements mandated by HB 1804 for public benefits were already in place prior to the bill’s passage. At the same time, access to public school, basic health care, and services provided by non-governmental agencies remain outside the scope of both federal restrictions and HB 1804. The main changes in access to services attributable to HB 1804 involved new requirements to show proof of legal residency for professional licenses issued by the Health Department (e.g. food handler certificates and physician licenses) and tighter requirements that apply to all state residents for access to vital records (e.g. death and birth certificates) and drivers license renewals after expiration .

Old 03-28-2010, 02:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,688,230 times
Sounds like it was much ado about nothing for the most part and a way to get votes. But don't dare forget to renew your drivers license, if you're not sure where you birth certificate is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma