Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:28 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusty View Post
Hey smarties, the word is spelled "straight". A "strait" is a body of water.
Here is the deal. . We are human beings. We are typing on the internet. We all are not spelling bee finalists. Nor are all of us the most efficient typists. Nitpicking spelling during a debate is a weak response at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Not intended as a rant, or offensive comment...but I have always wondered why "Christians" say they want their religion to be respected, or have others conform to their beliefs...but then go about insulting others because they're different then "justify" it with the Bible.
I'm not asking anyone to conform to my beliefs. Likewise I will ask others not to ask me to conform to their beliefs. So now what? Back to square 1. I don't recall asking anyone to conform. I'm just saying what my thoughts are, just like anyone I guess.

The non-recognition of gay marriage goes beyond religion. Laws that are based solely off of feelings or religion don't stand up. That's why cults aren't necessarily illegal in and of themselves (although they tend to do illegal things). That's why the Supreme Court couldn't do anything about the Westboro people. Because you can't make a law just because someone is being a jerk and making people angry. .

You can't legislate based on feelings. Gay marriage isn't recongized (in most states) because when the laws were written it was assumed that the requirement is male/female complementarity, not because it was against someones religion. Some states have chosen to ignore the complementarity thing and recognize them anyways. The states have this power when it comes to state law. However they cannot overturn the federal recognition. They are working on that though.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
Ok, before we all get so invested into this argument for the 10 billionth time and feel like killing each other, can we just kill this conversation and agree to never talk about this subject again?

Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
I don't purchase things from companies that act in a way that I feel is irresponsible. That's called standing up for your beliefs.
That's certainly your right. Personally I think it's stupid that you would boycott a company because they support acceptance of homosexuality, but that's your choice and your money. Just don't delude yourself into thinking that you are actually making a difference.

Quote:
Ok, and as I mentioned. I'm still not shopping there. Even if it's only 500,000 people buying a $1 item. Are you saying that Home Depot is ok with giving $500,000 to Lowes? Seems like a bad choice.
Guess what. The jokes' on them, since Lowes also supports gay marriage including extending benefits to the spouses of gay employees.

Oh, and slightly off topic, but I just wanted to point out the raging hypcocrisy of these AFA tools. I wish I would have taken a screen shot of this, but over the summer when they first started pushing their boycott they were also bitching about Prop 8 getting overturned out in California. Their webpage had a story complaining about gay marriage being "forced down their throats" (I assume the pun was unintended) by the courts and how it should be the right of the people to choose, and then literally right below it they have their story bitching about the people of Home Depot choosing to support gay marriage.

Hypocrisy overload. Maybe if they just came out and said "we just want to stop gay marriage by any means necessary" I'd at least have a small bit of respect for them.

Quote:
Maybe not turned their back, but stopped publicly supporting it. That's the difference..
They haven't made their support any more or less public than it ever was.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Bosco. . You're right about a lot of the AFA stuff. I get their e-mails and stuff, but I almost always delete them without reading, because they are often over the top and just stupid.

Does Ford still advertise in homosexual publications? This is what I mean about public support. I was under the impression they halted advertising in homosexual publications. Maybe I'm wrong here.

As for me making a difference or not, I have no idea. Maybe if there are enough people like me a difference could be made, but I realize my individual action does very little in the scope of corporate profits. According to AFA (again I realize the source). Does Home Depot advertise at "Pride" parades? Does Lowes?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Bosco. . You're right about a lot of the AFA stuff. I get their e-mails and stuff, but I almost always delete them without reading, because they are often over the top and just stupid.
That doesn't surprise me really. They're pretty clear about just wanting to stop anything pro-gay and I doubt they really care if they're being hypocritical about it.

Quote:
Does Ford still advertise in homosexual publications? This is what I mean about public support. I was under the impression they halted advertising in homosexual publications. Maybe I'm wrong here.
Probably. I mean, I don't have the latest copy of "Gay Weekly" laying around to check, but I know that word on the Mustang forums at the time was that Ford had no plans to change anything it was doing.

Quote:
As for me making a difference or not, I have no idea. Maybe if there are enough people like me a difference could be made, but I realize my individual action does very little in the scope of corporate profits. According to AFA (again I realize the source). Does Home Depot advertise at "Pride" parades? Does Lowes?
I'm just curious why you would boycott a company because they promote acceptance of gay marriage. I mean, it's not like they want YOU to be gay, right?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:51 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,686,836 times
The thing with pride parades is that they are a bit.... over the top. From what I've seen at least, pictures and such. Although I do believe Omaha's is more reserved and outsider friendly. Its one thing to get together and have fun and at least know you're not alone, yet its completely different to march down the street half naked practically screaming, "Look at me! I'm gay! Hello people, look!"
I'm gay, and I'll honestly probably never go to one of those parades.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

I'm just curious why you would boycott a company because they promote acceptance of gay marriage. I mean, it's not like they want YOU to be gay, right?
I do what I can to support companies that use money in a way that I feel is the most responsible. Obviously I can't do this 100% because I don't check in full detail every aspect of a company before I go to buy something, there aren't enough hours in the day. However if a company is blatantly just making it known they are in support of something I think is just wrong, I'll just shop elsewhere. It's just me personally feeling better that my money isn't going to go off and support something crazy. At the end of the day it's really not my responsibility what a person does with my money after it leaves my wallet, but I still just try to avoid it.

Also as an ex-employee of the Home Depot, I have a personal beef with them and their business practices. The way the treated me when I quit really doesn't give me the impression they care about their employees let alone their sexual orientation.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
The thing with pride parades is that they are a bit.... over the top. From what I've seen at least, pictures and such. Although I do believe Omaha's is more reserved and outsider friendly. Its one thing to get together and have fun and at least know you're not alone, yet its completely different to march down the street half naked practically screaming, "Look at me! I'm gay! Hello people, look!"
I'm gay, and I'll honestly probably never go to one of those parades.
There you go. . That's what I'm against too. Gay people can get together and hang out. . But the "hey look at me" is just uncalled for. I mean that's not a way to get someone to consider you normal .

Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I do what I can to support companies that use money in a way that I feel is the most responsible. Obviously I can't do this 100% because I don't check in full detail every aspect of a company before I go to buy something, there aren't enough hours in the day. However if a company is blatantly just making it known they are in support of something I think is just wrong, I'll just shop elsewhere. It's just me personally feeling better that my money isn't going to go off and support something crazy. At the end of the day it's really not my responsibility what a person does with my money after it leaves my wallet, but I still just try to avoid it.

Also as an ex-employee of the Home Depot, I have a personal beef with them and their business practices. The way the treated me when I quit really doesn't give me the impression they care about their employees let alone their sexual orientation.
Fair enough.

Just curious, but what did they do to you when you quit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha