Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 PM

624 posts, read 1,308,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So build a toll booth. And don't even think of driving outside of your precious city limits because you don't pay any wheel taxes in my SID or to the county outside the city.
If I had to drive there every day, I'd pay for wear and tear on your roads. It would only seem right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
If I had to drive there every day, I'd pay for wear and tear on your roads. It would only seem right.
Yeah, sure you would.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM

624 posts, read 1,308,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Yeah, sure you would.
I wouldn't want to, but we've all gotta do our fair share.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
I wouldn't want to, but we've all gotta do our fair share.
Most of my driving in Omaha was on STATE roads. I paid taxes. I did my fair share.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:50 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Most of my driving in Omaha was on STATE roads. I paid taxes. I did my fair share.
I pay taxes in Omaha, too. I buy lunch a few days a week in Omaha, and shop for other stuff in Omaha. They get sales tax from me.

Put up a toll booth if you want my money and charge if fairly -- on an actual per use basis. Otherwise, to take money from someone that can't vote in the city and may/may not actually use the roads is just wrong. It's why the founding fathers fought the British--taxation without representation.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,010 times
Quote:
I pay taxes in Omaha, too. I buy lunch a few days a week in Omaha, and shop for other stuff in Omaha. They get sales tax from me.

Put up a toll booth if you want my money and charge if fairly -- on an actual per use basis. Otherwise, to take money from someone that can't vote in the city and may/may not actually use the roads is just wrong. It's why the founding fathers fought the British--taxation without representation.
That's sales tax, not roads tax. Quite different.

Also if you think that would be "taxation without representation" you really need to quit drinking whatever it is you are. You have representation with the state of Nebraska and THEY can act on your behalf, just as they did with Omaha's commuter tax. Sounds like representation to me! TRUE "taxation without representation" simply does not exist in this country. Ultimately your represented by the federal government and had Nebraskans government not stopped the commuter tax the crybabies in the suburbs would have taken it to the us supreme court. Again sounds like another level of representation to me . Your "British" example fails on the count that the American colonies had NO representation. They had no one to help them, no one to speak for them in the British government. Someone REALLY needs a history lesson here .

Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm glad I no longer pay any money to the state of Nebraska. I sure will enjoy driving around on Omaha's roads this weekend though.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
That's sales tax, not roads tax. Quite different.

Also if you think that would be "taxation without representation" you really need to quit drinking whatever it is you are. You have representation with the state of Nebraska and THEY can act on your behalf, just as they did with Omaha's commuter tax. Sounds like representation to me! TRUE "taxation without representation" simply does not exist in this country. Ultimately your represented by the federal government and had Nebraskans government not stopped the commuter tax the crybabies in the suburbs would have taken it to the us supreme court. Again sounds like another level of representation to me . Your "British" example fails on the count that the American colonies had NO representation. They had no one to help them, no one to speak for them in the British government. Someone REALLY needs a history lesson here .
I've heard that silly excuse about how the state allows it so somehow I'm represented. It doesn't work. The Nebraska legislature doesn't impose the tax--Omaha does.

Again...what part of "I don't vote for mayor or city council but I get taxed by the city" do you not understand? It seems pretty simple to me. Omaha taxes me, but I don't vote for them. I also don't get to take advantage of a lot of Omaha services. I pay for my own trash pickup for one.

Honestly, it's short-sighted thinking like that that will make me glad to move out of the area. I really like Omaha for the most part, but this tax issue is just annoying.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:18 AM

65 posts, read 123,638 times
Quote:
I've heard that silly excuse about how the state allows it so somehow I'm represented. It doesn't work. The Nebraska legislature doesn't impose the tax--Omaha does.

Again...what part of "I don't vote for mayor or city council but I get taxed by the city" do you not understand? It seems pretty simple to me. Omaha taxes me, but I don't vote for them. I also don't get to take advantage of a lot of Omaha services. I pay for my own trash pickup for one.

Honestly, it's short-sighted thinking like that that will make me glad to move out of the area. I really like Omaha for the most part, but this tax issue is just annoying.
I haven't read all of your posts on this subject because I don't want to litter my mind with nonsense. But, I think most of your arguments have already been addressed in previous posts. All I want to point out is that you are motivated to move to a different state because a city in your state proposed a commuter tax that the state legislature did not allow to go into affect? And the tax was only $50 a year? Not that I will be sad to see you go, but for your own sake, I think you need to make your decisions with a little more logic and a little less emotion.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
I haven't read all of your posts on this subject because I don't want to litter my mind with nonsense. But, I think most of your arguments have already been addressed in previous posts. All I want to point out is that you are motivated to move to a different state because a city in your state proposed a commuter tax that the state legislature did not allow to go into affect? And the tax was only $50 a year? Not that I will be sad to see you go, but for your own sake, I think you need to make your decisions with a little more logic and a little less emotion.
No...I am already planning on moving out of the Omaha area in the next 6 months to a year. One of the things that I won't miss about Omaha when I do move is the fact that they tax people that don't live in their city. I live outside the city, so I don't get some of the benefits of being in the city--but I do get taxed by them in the form of a wheel tax. Not the commuter tax--I pay a wheel tax. Perhaps if you'd have been bothered to actually read the whole thread you'd see that instead of spouting nonsense.

Having said that, there are a lot of great things about Omaha, and I will always proudly consider it my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: