Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,148 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been reading through the posts and I haven't seen anyone specifically in my situation, so I'm starting a new topic/thread.

My husband and I are considering relocating from the twin cities (Shakopee to be exact-suburb of Minneapolis) to Omaha/Papillion/La Vista/Ralston/etc. We lived in La Vista for 2 years from 2000-2002 and were then transferred to Sioux Falls, South Dakota with my hubby's job, and then transferred to MN from SD 2 years ago. We've lived in Shakopee for 2 years and we have been trying to decide when to move back to the Omaha area. We realized that is where we want to be since it felt like "home" and living in the Twin Cities area is too expensive and the traffic is just too much to handle... (I can't stand driving an hour one way to get to work!!).

So, here are some things I'm seeking some advice on:
1) Jobs - since this is a move we are planning, there will be no company sponsored relocation, etc. What would be the best places/websites/resources to use to locate jobs? Both my hubby and I have a bachelor's degree and several years of experience (Jeff has retail/management/training experience and I have experience in mortgage/financial planning/admin/higher education). We are looking for reasonable paying jobs with stability and room for growth/advancement. Additionally, I'm open to going back to school to gain further education in order to make more money and pursue something that is more in line with my interests (psychology/writing/teaching (higher ed level)/etc). Jeff (aka hubby) is NOT really open to going back to school and would like to earn enough for me to go to school full-time and work part-time. Any suggestions or ideas on how to best get connected to a job/career when relocating? (**Asking this since we have only ever moved/relocated due to my husband's job transfers. Also, I will most likely work for at least a year to save money and gain residency in Nebraska again before pursuing a different education field.)

2) Location to live: we lived in La Vista and really liked that area, but we're going to have to rent and since we've owned houses for the last 5 years, we'd like to stay renting a single family home or at least a town house. Any websites/etc that are good for locating rental properties that are reasonably priced in good neighborhoods? (we prefer a more suburban area usually)

I REALLY appreciate anyone who takes time to respond to my questions. We are both excited to move back to the Omaha area as we really miss the "home" feeling and we just haven't had that same feeling living here. South Dakota was nice, but the economy isn't nearly as good and we have many more ties to Omaha that we do to SD.

We are open to suggestions/ideas/etc on how to best make this move affordable since it is on our own in regard to relocation costs. not to mention having to buy a 2nd vehicle since my husband's job provided him with a company car.

Thanks again everyone! I really enjoy reading your comments and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!!!
-Laura
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 AM

88 posts, read 107,050 times
Costco is coming to Omaha - they are currently hiring their management team for the store on 124th and Dodge.

LOTS of banking jobs in Omaha. Go to Jobs Careerlink Employment for jobs in Omaha.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:10 AM

28 posts, read 111,346 times
You may want to check Home Rentals, Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes for home rentals in the area. And the above mentioned careerlink is a excellent tool for job searches.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 33,021 times
befree.mutual of omaha is a GREAT employer..They've JUST started up a banking area too. Go to Mutualofomaha.com...and careers. WELCOME back!! I live in Lavista and Mutual is one of the best employers around!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: