Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM

187 posts, read 663,877 times

Advertisements

Yesterday, my wife and I went up to Florence from our house in Midtown and toured some of the historical sites there. Even though Florence is not a "destination" neighborhood like the Old Market, Benson or Dundee, Florence has an incredible amount of places of interest, and deserves to be recognized by more of Omaha's citizens. Keep in mind that all the museums we went to had free admission.

First we went to the Bank of Florence, which is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 11-3. The building was built in 1856, and recently underwent renovations to restore the aging foundation. The vault (and I believe the upstairs living quarters) are both original, and the museum also features a turn-of-the-century teller desk, bathroom, woodwork and tin-stamped ceilings. There are artifacts from the town of Florence, as well as the original skeleton key to the bank.
The Bank really is a treasure!

Next we went to the Mormon Trail Center at Winter Quarters. The grounds are beautiful and the visitor center has exhibits that showcase the Mormon pioneers' journey across the Midwest. There was also a very nice faith-based art display. Very interesting to see the journey of some of the first founders of our city.

Finally, we went to the Florence/Weber Mill. It was built by Mormons in the 1840s and was taken over by the Weber family later on. The converted art gallery/museum still has wooden beams that support the structure that date back to the 1840s. The curator was very nice and was willing to talk and answer questions.

I just wanted to say how awesome our day was and encourage anyone interested in local history and historic preservation to view these awesome local landmarks. Florence also just underwent a city project to enhance N. 30th Street. With all the local attractions, and the preserved Keirle House, Florence is looking good!

We didn't go in the Crook House at Fort Omaha, but its worth seeing as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 PM

177 posts, read 458,306 times
Awesome - thanks for the information. I've been to the Mormon Trail Center, and as a history buff, I found it pretty fascinating. Your other recommendations sound very promising, so I'll make sure to add them to my "Omaha to-do" list next time I'm in town.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Thanks for posting this thread. We need more things like this in the Omaha sub forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: