Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:23 PM

475 posts, read 2,235,876 times

Advertisements

Who needs the NBA/NFL/MLB/NHL... when collegiate/minor league sports in Omaha let you get close to the action without breaking the bank...

Creighton Bluejay basketball ( (M) Basketball - News - GoCreighton.com )... feels like an NBA game... averaging over 15,000 a game (that's the 13th highest NCAA average crowd in the nation folks!)

University of Nebraska-Omaha Maverick hockey ( UNO Athletics (broken link) ) plays at the Division I NCAA level and hosts the likes of hockey powerhouses Michigan, Notre Dame, and others

http://gomavs.unomaha.edu/facilities/images/qwest.jpg (broken link)

The Omaha Royals ( Omaha Royals: Home ) AAA baseball affiliate play at Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium... the largest minor league ballpark in the nation... which is also annual host to the NCAA College World Series in June.

http://www.hustonfamily.com/gallery/royals/1/pic2a.jpg (broken link)

The Beef ( Omaha Beef ) is Omaha's semi-professional arena football team and play at the Omaha Civic Auditorium

http://www.hustonfamily.com/gallery/beef/beef6.jpg (broken link)

Nebraska Raceway Park ( Nebraska Raceway Park ) west of Omaha comes alive weekend nights with NASCAR sanctioned racing events

http://www.07motorsports.com/images/fourwideatnrp.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,695,917 times
still pro sports would really help omahas already booming economy and get us more national attention

Old 01-24-2008, 09:21 PM

True... although national attention doesn't get me cheap tickets for me and my son against the glass for another otherwise exciting college hockey game.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,695,917 times
true but if omaha thrives wont you thrive with it? think of it you would be easily able to afford those tickets because of a better economy which would probably help your wage levels

Old 01-25-2008, 07:49 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,563,442 times
I like the variety of college/semi-pro sports that are here. The addition of a pro team would come with high ticket prices and the dilution of the college/semi-pro fan base. I'm not convinced it would be a good thing and I love pro sports.

Since you already went most of the way to Lincoln for the I-80 Speedway, just go on into Lincoln and add into the mix a great/intimate baseball stadium with Haymarket and the Salt Dogs.

star_gazer, as always, thank for the great pictures!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,152,528 times
Don't forget there is also Lancer's hockey over in Council Bluffs, suprised Knights didn't go over as well, maybe if they got into Qwest, but just too much hockey. I would like to see the NBDL, but that is because I'm a basketball fan, with Creighton's presence I don't know how well it would go, but Sioux Falls and Des Moines has teams. Remember the Racers!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM

While I enjoyed the Racers as well... with the basketball product which Creighton has created today, drawing nearly NBA size crowds... I simply don't see a semi-pro basketball team making it in Omaha. The same type of loyalty to the Mavericks/Lancers... is why the Knights never succeeded. I've pretty well resigned to our fair city being one of collegiate/minor league sports... which is fine... I go to these games for the entertainment... and that's what I get even today.

I am however, a proponent of the downtown ball park... I think that will bring a whole new atmosphere to Royals games. Imagine it... eating dinner in the Old Market... and taking a stroll down to the ball game... perhaps even eventually taking a trolley.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,201,527 times
Default agreed..

What the Omaha market needs is a big time football program in the spring-summer months like an AAFL league team...

or an AFL/AFL2 type of team...

Old 01-25-2008, 02:03 PM

I think the Beef management would do well to pursue an AF2 franchise. Omaha has decent sized arena football crowds... AF2 would draw even more.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:46 PM

884 posts, read 1,036,293 times
My honest opinion and I don't mean to be the negative one as usual. I think sports in Omaha are by and large a "bust". I mean really, who really gives a crap about the lancers or the beef? Who even likes the Royals? Of course there are a few fans here and there but as a whole the people of Omaha couldn't care less about these semi-pro clubs.

Creighton is definitely the only legitimate program with a loyal fan base. Maverick football is at best a seasonal bandwagon event when they are doing well. Maverick hockey? Come on, so they play Notre Dame and Michigan. Maybe that is good for a night out once a year.

The CWS is the best thing Omaha has going for it. It's too bad that is only a weeklong sporting event, not even a local franchise.

Like I said, I hate to sound like the negative one here but Omaha sports seem pathetic to me at best. Everyone, sit and think to yourselves if you can really name any players from any of the teams mentioned...without googlen' them. You can't! There are very very few real fans.

What are the real benchmarks for cities to successfully maintain a professional franchise? There are no clear benchmarks. Maybe our market is too small. Who knows? For now though, spare us these crappy semi-pro flunky sports and wait to add a professional team to the city.

Sorry if that offended anyone but we all know it’s true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: