Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:26 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times

Advertisements

I recently worked the Anaheim auto show and having traveled all across the country for my job, I can say without a doubt that the citizens of Orange County are the most unkempt, sloppy dressers in the country. Everyone looked like the just stepped off of the pages of Skater and Surfer Slacker America.

When did it become "cool" to wear mismatched surf/skater clothes with tattered, ugly Vans and socks (usually black) pulled up to almost the knee. I saw this look all weekend and these stupid kids looked so dorky trying so hard to look cool. I commented to one of my co-workers that I didn't realize that it's now trendy to emulate your 68 year old grandfather. All of my co-workers also noticed how awful the majority of people we saw dress. One of them said that they were just , "laid back California cool". I commented that one can be casual without looking like they just stepped out of a dumpster.

Now keep in mind, I'm no fashonista, but is it too much to ask you not to come to a "show" in your bathing suit and skater shoes? Biggest bunch of slobs that I've ever seen. Bar none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
I went to the auto show too and I actually agree with you, the people looked very trashy. It was my least favorite one yet and because we are in the market for a new car, I looked only at the cars I was serious in and got the hell out of there. The whole feeling this year was trashy.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Yeah, I'm sure something like an auto show doesn't draw people from all over or anything. Everyone there HAD to be from OC.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah, I'm sure something like an auto show doesn't draw people from all over or anything. Everyone there HAD to be from OC.
I agree, more of a reflection of Southern California. Still, the auto show crowd did not look like your average Southern Californian. It was not a representative sample of the area.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:10 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
So you're basing this sweeping generalization of "the citizens of Orange County"
on the fashion habits of a bunch of idiot kids attending a car show?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I hate the "Jeans with suit coat"; mostly seen at the airport. It looks so mismatched but there's probably a practical reason, like not wanting the suit coat to get smashed in the suitcase.

(While I'm venting, how about the lady who slows down the security line because she's trying to manage three bags in one hand and a Starbucks in the other....)

Old 10-12-2008, 12:03 PM

144 posts, read 608,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I recently worked the Anaheim auto show and having traveled all across the country for my job, I can say without a doubt that the citizens of Orange County are the most unkempt, sloppy dressers in the country. Everyone looked like the just stepped off of the pages of Skater and Surfer Slacker America.

When did it become "cool" to wear mismatched surf/skater clothes with tattered, ugly Vans and socks (usually black) pulled up to almost the knee. I saw this look all weekend and these stupid kids looked so dorky trying so hard to look cool. I commented to one of my co-workers that I didn't realize that it's now trendy to emulate your 68 year old grandfather. All of my co-workers also noticed how awful the majority of people we saw dress. One of them said that they were just , "laid back California cool". I commented that one can be casual without looking like they just stepped out of a dumpster.

Now keep in mind, I'm no fashonista, but is it too much to ask you not to come to a "show" in your bathing suit and skater shoes? Biggest bunch of slobs that I've ever seen. Bar none.
Yes, that's what young kids look like these days and because of the influence of socal on the entertainment industry many parts of the US will look like that too eventually. However you must forget what kids looked like in the 80's. Neon everything, shoulder pads, oversized t-shirts, tight acid washed jeans, teased hair, leg warmers, jellies sandals.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:03 PM

188 posts, read 920,284 times
Those Ed Hardy and Affliction shirts are everywhere and despite their genuine trashyness, arent cheap at all. Hipster crap from urban outfitters isnt cheap either. I'd say OC-ers are far trendier than most americans, but if you prefer traditional east coast style, then it won't be your scene. Come up to Berkeley if you wanna see REAL bad dressers, haha.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
Those Ed Hardy and Affliction shirts are everywhere and despite their genuine trashyness, arent cheap at all. Hipster crap from urban outfitters isnt cheap either. I'd say OC-ers are far trendier than most americans, but if you prefer traditional east coast style, then it won't be your scene. Come up to Berkeley if you wanna see REAL bad dressers, haha.
Its hard to tell the difference between the students and the bums up there.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:24 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,039,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post

You are correct. I feel this culture has come from Jessie James; the bike builder. All these people show how sheeple they are by following one man.

Over all though, except for professionals, most people were jeans, t shirts and sneakers to do everything! People have no class anymore because they rather try to look cool or they don't care. Why else would somebody go to the store in there bedtime clothes? I have seen this.

These young kids think they are unique and trendy. There idea of looking different is getting a odd color shirt from urban outfitters.

Anyway, crack open a Time magazine from 1965 or 1977 and you will see a civilization with groomed hair, long dresses, shoes and suits and ties. The people in those times did great things too. Hmmm, could there be a correlation?

Regardless, I guess it comes from Europe but the way I see it is that there are certain type of clothes depending on what you are going to do. But now days, people wear, say, a tennis outfit because it's cute just to go to a mall. I'm fine with that but some people wear clothes that are TOTALLY inappropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County