Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,130 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone

I've been to LA a couple of times now, once for pleasure and once to check out established businesses in my area of work, Soccer Leagues. Myself and my g/f love LA, eventually want to move here from the UK but we appreciate how difficult it is.

I'm coming back to LA with my g/f in September for 2 months to do a bit more in-depth research and need to find a rental place perhaps in Lake Forest, Mission Viejo or Laguna Niguel, anywhere around that kind of area. Somewhere safe and clean obviously! Was hoping for something around $1000 monthly, is that asking a bit much? extendedstayhotels.com has quite a few places available, wondered if there was anything else local people could suggest? I've done some searching on the forums and can't find a whole lot of info on OC short term rentals or extended stay hotels.

Onto the business partner side of things. I'm in the process of sorting out an E2 visa which will enable me to work and set up the business properly. Anyway, there is a distinct lack of organised, dedicated, small-sided (by that I mean 5 and 6-a-side) Soccer Leagues, other than the brand new Goals Soccer Centre just built in South Gate. I help run the largest network of 6-a-side Soccer Leagues in the UK, have plenty of experience in this industry and I'm convinced there is a market in LA for this kind of thing. Anyone with a keen interest in Soccer, or web design experience, or both...keen to hear from you.

Read with interest on the forums how so many people who leave LA come to regret it and move back. The same cannot be said of the UK :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 26,042 times
Have you ever considered doing a house swap? You could find someone who has an apartment in California and wants to go to England. There are lots of housing swap sites. We've done it many times when we lived in Norway, London and Singapore and wanted to go to California for the summers.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space30 View Post
Hey everyone

I've been to LA a couple of times now, once for pleasure and once to check out established businesses in my area of work, Soccer Leagues. Myself and my g/f love LA, eventually want to move here from the UK but we appreciate how difficult it is.

I'm coming back to LA with my g/f in September for 2 months to do a bit more in-depth research and need to find a rental place perhaps in Lake Forest, Mission Viejo or Laguna Niguel, anywhere around that kind of area. Somewhere safe and clean obviously! Was hoping for something around $1000 monthly, is that asking a bit much? extendedstayhotels.com has quite a few places available, wondered if there was anything else local people could suggest? I've done some searching on the forums and can't find a whole lot of info on OC short term rentals or extended stay hotels.

Onto the business partner side of things. I'm in the process of sorting out an E2 visa which will enable me to work and set up the business properly. Anyway, there is a distinct lack of organised, dedicated, small-sided (by that I mean 5 and 6-a-side) Soccer Leagues, other than the brand new Goals Soccer Centre just built in South Gate. I help run the largest network of 6-a-side Soccer Leagues in the UK, have plenty of experience in this industry and I'm convinced there is a market in LA for this kind of thing. Anyone with a keen interest in Soccer, or web design experience, or both...keen to hear from you.

Read with interest on the forums how so many people who leave LA come to regret it and move back. The same cannot be said of the UK :-)
Soccer in California is played by Mexicans and little girls...LOL
THE ONLY REASON it is underdeveloped is because there is NO market for it...Soccer teams here are a joke. Lots of ppl have tried to promote the sport with NO succes...IT`S CULTURAL!...AMERICANS REJECT SOCCER RIGHT OF THE BAT!
Save your money and do not dump it into a moneypit. It your intention is to obtain a Green Card based on that business that`s a different story. (I personally think that`s what you are after)
Good Luck!

P.S. What`s with the UK? I have yet to meet/hear/read about a British citizen happy at home.

Last edited by flo2900; 08-07-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 12,130 times
Kimberly
I rent in the UK so house swap is not an option, Never bought a house here as I do not intend to stay!

flo
Really appreciate your feedback and insight, but I'm not sure the interest in Soccer in LA is as poor as you suggest. A company based in the UK have just invested over $5 million in a purpose built soccer centre in South Gate, they are a very reputable share owned company and I doubt they would have invested such a large amount without there being 'demand' there. I have done a fair bit of research into Soccer clubs and interest in Soccer in LA and it seems there certainly is demand, although as you say it is largely hispanics that play. I'm sure I read recently that Soccer is actually one of the biggest participation sports in the US, despite the fact that many people reject the sport as spectators. Luckily my business relies on participation, not spectators.

As for the business venture. The way my business works means that my investment to get this off the ground in LA would literally be a few hundred dollars, not even worth worrying about. Your assumption regarding the Green Card is not too far off the mark actually, although I genuinely plan to make a business of this in LA, California and then hopefully other States. Not as easy as doing it in the 'small' UK, but possible nonetheless I believe.

The UK is actually not a BAD place to live, but outside of London it's not exactly a place buzzing with energy and optimistic, ambitious people...plus the weather is a complete joke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County