Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM

39 posts, read 107,457 times

Advertisements

Well, I have been reading tons of posts about where to live for a thirty-something single but some are dated posts and thought I could share my 2 cents and ask for your advice.
I will be relocating to work at a hospital in Irvine. I am single and in my mid thirties and like similar posters I really dont want to live in Suburbia but my budget needs to stay around $1500 or less, dont mind even a studio. I prefer a midrise style loft apartment with upgraded appliances, wood or laminate floors etc... verses the traditional carpeted,white appliances etc.. However, I realize rents are not a joking matter in Orange county as I am discovering so I may need to comprimise on my taste

Second, I would probably rather live close to some nightlife, trader joes, shops etc. and have a reasonable commute to work rather than close to work and a commute to those areas. Im also a runner and living close to a good running spot would be an added bonus!! Newport sounds great but I am not sure its in my budget?? If any of you can reccommend specific complexes for me to look at, that would be even better. I am currently in Houston and I live in a mixed use area where my apt. sits smack dab in the middle of shops, rest., etc. Would love to find something like that. Also, i am familiar with irvine Spectrum but I am not super excited about all the chain restaurants etc.. thats everywhere here in Houston. Any and all advice is appreciated......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:10 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,619 times
I think for all those requirements, Costa Mesa may be the city for you.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
I think for all those requirements, Costa Mesa may be the city for you.
I agree, another candidate would be Huntington Beach albeit a slightly longe commute.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
try 3400 Avenue of the Arts in Costa Mesa. wood floors, granite countertops, and stainless appliances in the redev units, starting from about $1300/mo for an upgraded studio. Across the street from South Coast Plaza, about 10 minutes from Sutra and Shark Club, 15 minutes from the beach (HB has a nice 9-mile multi-use paved trail along the beach), literally 2 blocks away from Trader Joe's.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:23 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
You might want to try City Lights in Aliso Viejo, but I don’t think they have loft style apartments. The complex is new and located at Town Center, so it is within very easy walking distance to Trader’s Joes, Ralph’s Grocery Store, Panera Bread, the Edwards Multiplex Theater, the Aliso Viejo Library, Stadium Brewing Company, drug stores, two separate bagel shops, a health food restaurant, a surf shop, Hoag Health Care Center Aliso Viejo, The Neighborhood Cup, other restaurants, City Perks (coffee shop), Barnes and Noble, etc.

Aliso Viejo is very small (9.2 sq miles) with 23 parks, so there is plenty of space available for jogging.
City Lights
Aliso Viejo Apartments, City Lights Apartments, Shea Apartment Communities

Also, these could be helpful:

City Lights thread on City-Data:
What's the word on "City Lights at Town Center", Aliso Viejo?

Aliso Viejo Town Center
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPJXou8bpU

You can hike or mountain bike at Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAUXYBIDlYs

Last edited by pacific2; 10-23-2010 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 PM

You guys are great!! Both of those options look right up my alley. Thanks for all the advice.....

Old 10-24-2010, 02:20 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,949,630 times
to be completely honest, if you don't want a suburban environment, you'll probably prefer Costa Mesa over Aliso Viejo. I grew up in the Aliso Viejo area, and currently live in the Costa Mesa area, and while they both have their good points, Costa Mesa sounds more like what you're looking for; specifically either Ave of the Arts, or the Enclave apartments.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:03 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Aliso Viejo is a very new city (incorporated in 2001). It’s safe, beach close and very well-maintained. It doesn’t look or feel like its older neighbors of Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills or Mission Viejo; and these are all great towns with more varied architecture, but Aliso is the new kid on the block and most people don’t know what to make of it. Its very family friendly, but people of all age groups seem to like it here for different reasons. A lot of people are attracted by the new construction, cleanliness, exceptionally low crime rate, walk ability and accessibility.
There are enough similarities between South Orange communities, of course, that it can be hard to tell when you have left one and entered another. AV is perched up on rolling hills. This promotional video will, if nothing else, give you a quick overview of the city:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpN40_1h5NE

A lot of people from Laguna Beach and Aliso Viejo (and many who work in Aliso) like to hang-out at Renaissance ClubSport and Spa for sports, workouts, the spa or lunch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylgdfrsew6k
Renaissance ClubSport and Spa is just a few blocks from City Lights and near corporate offices (attracts a lunchtime and after work crowd). It can be a nice place to meet people because it also offers a variety of classes:
Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo | Sports, Fitness, Hotel & Spa | Events & Schedules | Events Schedules

Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
try 3400 Avenue of the Arts in Costa Mesa. wood floors, granite countertops, and stainless appliances in the redev units, starting from about $1300/mo for an upgraded studio. Across the street from South Coast Plaza, about 10 minutes from Sutra and Shark Club, 15 minutes from the beach (HB has a nice 9-mile multi-use paved trail along the beach), literally 2 blocks away from Trader Joe's.
This place is awesome! I used to live here a few years ago and was paying around 1650 approx for a 1 bedroom. The complex some bad reviews on apartmentratings but I still loved it; the gym is incredible and not crowded. They have really nice, new equipment in the gym and the vibe of the complex is very yuppie like, which I like!

Costa Mesa feels the most like Los Angeles, it has that city vibe. It's probably the most non-suburban city in OC. I live in Fountain Valley and find it depressing, it's so dark and quiet. I found Irvine terrible; too safe, quiet and too family friendly and BORING. Huntington Beach feels too much like a beach town and I don't like anything that feels like "town", I need bright lights and hustle and bustle with a touch of glam. I hate that suburban feel. Costa Mesa has tall buildings, bright lights and South Coast Plaza. Trader Joe's is just 5 min away from Avenue Of The Arts. If I could afford it again, I would live there in a heartbeat and take the studio.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
This place is awesome! I used to live here a few years ago and was paying around 1650 approx for a 1 bedroom. The complex some bad reviews on apartmentratings but I still loved it; the gym is incredible and not crowded. They have really nice, new equipment in the gym and the vibe of the complex is very yuppie like, which I like!

Costa Mesa feels the most like Los Angeles, it has that city vibe. It's probably the most non-suburban city in OC. I live in Fountain Valley and find it depressing, it's so dark and quiet. I found Irvine terrible; too safe, quiet and too family friendly and BORING. Huntington Beach feels too much like a beach town and I don't like anything that feels like "town", I need bright lights and hustle and bustle with a touch of glam. I hate that suburban feel. Costa Mesa has tall buildings, bright lights and South Coast Plaza. Trader Joe's is just 5 min away from Avenue Of The Arts. If I could afford it again, I would live there in a heartbeat and take the studio.
I actually called them after hearing about them on this board and seems like it has everything I want and the studios are affordable. I dont want to limit myself to one complex at this point since I dont have my move date yet. Any others that are similar to that?? The aliso viejo ones are nice but still seem to be dated. I like that avenue of the arts has a nice gym and lots of amenities, spin class etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County