Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 PM

12 posts, read 24,828 times

Advertisements

hey guys, i came accross this forum just recently and wanted to see if i could get any advice. Ok so im about to be 22 years old and i live near Cleveland, Ohio. Im an employed Barber and i have a small condo i own here. I'm single. No kids. And life here just absolutely sucks. Im once again thinking about moving down to Dana Point or San Juan Capistrano, basically around that General area. I already have a cousin and a group of friends down there, also an aunt and uncle. And they all want me to come down also. And i have a buddy here who is in the same boat as me and wants to get the hell out. So the idea is for me and him to split a 2 bedroom apartment for hopefully less than 1600 a month. Were both real simple guys. DONT NEED MUCH. I need a roof, job, vehicle, and SUN. Most likely id try to get a job as a barber down there. What do you guys think. And please no negativity, remember, i really got nothin to live for down here, Its time to take a chance. Thanks Guys! sorry for ramblin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 08:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
I think it's totally doable. You have a support system here, you're young. I've moved around a lot in my life, and the one thing I've learned is that there are very few decisions that are irreversible. Give it a shot! And good luck!

V. =)

Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
Take the chance, man! You can always go back - or someplace else!

Just be prepared to pay $4.00 per gallon for gaz...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 AM

Thanks guys, much appreciated. It'll probably more towards the later months of the year. But this gives me time to start figuring out everything i need to do to try to prepare. Luckily my brother is a very good real estate agent also. And as far as the gas prices go, were payin $3.40 so its not too far off, and ill be on my motorcycle 90% of the time too. about 50 mpg!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 AM

plus i drive a ford taurus, which is o.k. on gas, but i plan on gettin rid of it before or after i get there and pickin up a little honda civic or something down there, just need somthing small with good mpg's, plus id rather buy down there since the car hasn't been totally effed by snow and road salt and crappy roads. lol

Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
How many barber jobs are open in OC? Have you checked? What is the outlook?
Do you need a CA barber license?

What is your slam dunk plan for getting employed?

Old 03-02-2011, 08:04 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you need a CA barber license?
Yes. After 1500 hours of training, one may sit for the State Board examination. If successful, a license will be issued.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
GO for it. Orange COUnty is one of the best places to live when in your early 20s through mid 30s. You will have a blast. Do some research ont he car thing. You will pay mroe for a used car buying after you move, but there is a huge fee to register an out of state car in CA. I think that fee may bemuch less for older cars, but for newer cars it is huge. They want to discourage people from buying cars in nearby no sales tax states and bringing them to CA.

1600 is do-able, especially if you are flexible. You may be surprised at how expensive everything is, but the sunshine is free. Use of bicycle paths and most roads are free and if you come on a bike, the beach is free. Lots of great free hiking and climing opportunities too. Make your won food, drive something reasonable, wear off brands (Clarence Sal'e is my favorite brand) or even shop at resale shops and Salvation Army. Rent movies, or go to second run theaters, and you can live very reasonably.

You may have to shop around a great deal to find a chair somewhere, but there are little barber shops and hair salons everywhere. If you have to go a lon distance, take a train. Having family around will help. Establish immediately that they need to pay you to cut their hair, not for free. You could give them a break but there is no reason to work for free, not even for your family. You will need every dime.

The more you get involved in things, the more people you will meet who will become your clients. Join Kiwanis, Rotary, Lions or somethign simlar. Get involved in a church if you have faith, find a good hiking club or something simlar. Volunteer to be a boy scout counseler or whatever they are called. Get involved in everything you can and you will meet loads of clients. You will have to work. You cannot just put up a sign and wait for them to come, go get them.

Good luck.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
I was pleasantly surprised to see you mention Dana Point and San Juan Capistrano as possible destinations, as people rarely seek info about them on C-D. I actually like both cities, especially Dana Point. You have family encouragement and support, so it seems there is a safety net for any possible hard times.

Research, get involved, work hard and enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-05-05_Dana Point Harbor 2.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	946.8 KB
ID:	76468

Last edited by pacific2; 03-02-2011 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

i am licensed in ohio which is 1800 hours of schooling so i wont need to do any school there, might have to do a state board test to get a CA license though. Im waiting for them to open to call today. you guys are 3 hours behind us. And ColdJensens, like i said, im a simple guy lol, im not very stylish but i keep myself clean and i look proper, and i actually would most likely look for a nice plain christian church around town, me and my buddy (the one who wants to leave too) do bible studies with some other peaople around here sometimes. And as for my "slam dunk" plan. I am slowly putting this together. Thats why its nice to hear other peoples opinions and what not to get some ideas and encouragement. so once again i thank you all!! you guys have been very helpful so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County