Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
Good to hear you are loving it here.
If you like Peets coffee and like to make coffee at home try Trader Joe's whole bean organic Sumatra or dark Sumatra. I think their coffee beats Peets!
Thanks! Ill give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
and so far it is amazing!

I have a studio in an historic home in North Laguna Beach. Rent is $1475 which includes laundry, gas, and water. This price will go up when the new owners take over. My guess is by $150-200 per month comparing what is around.
( Yes I got extremely lucky here. I rode around neighborhoods on my bike and talked with people on the street=payoff)

I am right off the PCH overlooking Crescent Bay. I can be at the beach by walking 5 min. Behind me, about a 15 minute walk is an extensive hiking/biking trail system.

Food pricing was freaking me out when I went to Ralphs, though Peets coffee is cheaper there than what I used to pay. BUT, Trader Joe's in Newport Coast, about 3 miles from me, has the EXACT same prices as Tucson AZ. I get almost all my food there! YES!

My car insurance is going up by $200 per year. I plan to bike to work as it is 9 miles away, 1000ft climb! But coming home will be almost all downhill. I will use my car to take trips on the weekend.

I will pay ~$80 per year to get a street parking pass. Not eating out anytime soon until I see how the budget works out in the long run.
Did I mention how beautiful it is here! And so many active people. Pinch me...

So, my take is if you can afford the rent, most else is a slight increase if you are a careful shopper. Plus, I canceled my Netflix as I hardly use it and I canceled my residential internet access and will tether my computer to my phone instead. That will save me ~$50 per month. Also, canceled my Ballys membership as my new work has a weight room. Another savings of $18 per month.
I did use a lot of my savings for first months rent and deposit. I will be very frugal this first year until I get a handle on things.

So many people here have been friendly, saying hi and smiling. My neighbors invited me to an outing and tea.
I'm sure there is balance to be found among my unbridled enthusiasm but right now I am high as a kite!
Maxing out the 401(k)?
Contributing the max to a Roth?
Do you have disability insurance (from someone other than your employer)?

Does your employer have a shower for you to use after than nine mile uphill climb in the coastal humidity?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:55 PM

I contribute to my retirement. Disability from the employer. Shower is there at work.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 AM

795 posts, read 1,585,904 times
Yeah, Laguna Beach is a beautiful town. The traffic along main beach gets pretty congested though.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:56 PM

396 posts, read 925,883 times
Geez.. coming from Tucson to Laguna Beach is a HUGE change... and a good one.

I'll be in Tucson for 2 years then to So Calif. I'm pretty sure my reaction will mirror yours.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Maxing out the 401(k)?
Contributing the max to a Roth?
Do you have disability insurance (from someone other than your employer)?

Does your employer have a shower for you to use after than nine mile uphill climb in the coastal humidity?
Forgive Charles. He's subbing for your mother today.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:22 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Default Cresent Bay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
I am right off the PCH overlooking Crescent Bay.
right now I am high as a kite!
Hubby and I got married there!! We were told it was the most romantic wedding they'd ever been to! Sunset wedding 10 years ago!
It's still one of our fave places!

Speaking of kites... we recently went exploring a bit more than usual a few weeks ago and found a beautiful park on top of a huge hill off Bluebird Canyon! (Can't remember the name of the park off hand)
It was a breezy clear day and you could see Catalina on one side and Saddleback Mountain and Valley on the other side!
Oh, and folks were flying kites!

Enjoy Laguna!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
Yeah, Laguna Beach is a beautiful town. The traffic along main beach gets pretty congested though.
I bike pretty much everywhere. Put 110 miles in over the last two days!

Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
Geez.. coming from Tucson to Laguna Beach is a HUGE change... and a good one.

I'll be in Tucson for 2 years then to So Calif. I'm pretty sure my reaction will mirror yours.
Have you been to SoCal before? I hadn't. I love Tucson, dont get me wrong, but more than anything the endless summers there eventually got to me. I didn't mind for the first 7 years or so coming originally from much colder PA. Plus it is quite isolated which you may or may not like. Tucson does have a lot to offer outside when it is an oven.

But Laguna! Wow - e - Wow.

I am home.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Forgive Charles. He's subbing for your mother today.
Yeah, I got that. Reminds me of so many people saying "renting is throwing your money away." See how that worked out!

I have read about the ant and the grasshopper and I also know of Scrooge. I am somewhere along the middle path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County