Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

124 posts, read 334,140 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at houses on Realtor (dot) com and I've noticed that there are so many more houses with larger lots and much larger houses than say Irvine.

I have not been to the area so I have no idea what it is like. However, there is a small chance I may be working in Irvine and I was looking at houses up to 750K and there were a ton that were in Corona. I'd like to stay 10-15 miles of Irvine (I don't know what area of Irvine yet.) Will I be on the wrong side of town only being able to afford this amount? I'm blown away by how many expensive homes there are here!!!!!

I need a house that is at least 3000 square feet. Anyone have an idea of SAFE areas that have larger homes?

Here are some ares that have large homes that I thought were nice.

Mission Viejo, Corona, Yorba Linda, San Clemente, Tustin, and Santa Ana, Coto De Caza (I noticed there are like 10 MILLION dollar homes there - must be way on the other side of town), to name a few. I'm not looking for a big yard, just a larger house.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments about these areas?

Thank you!

Last edited by movestoomuch; 01-26-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:52 PM

Default How about...

Santa Margerita? Rancho Santa Margerita? Nice? Safe?

La Habra? Safe? Nice?

I now know that Anaheim is out. As is Fullerton.

Anything else?

Also - what are your electric bills on what square footage? Thanks again!

Last edited by movestoomuch; 01-26-2012 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 10:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
The big problem with Corona is that it puts on you the 91 freeway twice a day. Ugh.

The big draw to Irvine are the good schools. Buyers in Irvine will pay a big premium and live 6" from their neighbors for those good schools.

If Anaheim is out, Santa Ana is definitely out. Anaheim Hills is nice though. La Habra isn't even as nice as Fullerton but maybe a step above Anaheim.

Yorba Linda, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, parts of Tustin, and Rancho Santa Margarita are nice, safe, areas.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Newport Coast is McMansion city, probably works for you

Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
For $750k though?

Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The big problem with Corona is that it puts on you the 91 freeway twice a day. Ugh.

The big draw to Irvine are the good schools. Buyers in Irvine will pay a big premium and live 6" from their neighbors for those good schools.

If Anaheim is out, Santa Ana is definitely out. Anaheim Hills is nice though. La Habra isn't even as nice as Fullerton but maybe a step above Anaheim.

Yorba Linda, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, parts of Tustin, and Rancho Santa Margarita are nice, safe, areas.
I have heard about the famous California traffic.

Are there other ways to get to places without using the 91?

I'm trying to stay about 10-15 miles of Irvine.

I totally get the good schools thing. We did that when we lived in Scottsdale, AZ. It helps with resale values too. Lucky me though, my kids are in college!

So La Habra is out too. Okay, there are so many other places to look. Man, coming from Nashville, your houses are EXPENSIVE!!!!

I have no desire to live there, but my daughter was wondering how far is LA? Are the studios in LA? I have been to Disney and to LA, but only to the touristy spots. I'm coming in blind!!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Doubtful. It's all 10-15 MILLION dollar homes.

I can't even afford the first million!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
I have heard about the famous California traffic.

Are there other ways to get to places without using the 91?

I'm trying to stay about 10-15 miles of Irvine.

I totally get the good schools thing. We did that when we lived in Scottsdale, AZ. It helps with resale values too. Lucky me though, my kids are in college!

So La Habra is out too. Okay, there are so many other places to look. Man, coming from Nashville, your houses are EXPENSIVE!!!!

I have no desire to live there, but my daughter was wondering how far is LA? Are the studios in LA? I have been to Disney and to LA, but only to the touristy spots. I'm coming in blind!!!!
The 91 is the only practical route through the Santa Ana Canyon. The 241 connects Irvine to the 91 but its a toll route. The 91 Express Lanes take you from Corona to the 91/55 interchange but you can't access them from the 241 and they're very expensive. The houses in Corona might look cheap but once you factor in the added transportation costs, time, and higher electric bills due to the hotter climate, its not as much of a deal as it might first appear.

Lake Forest and Mission Viejo are both nice area and close to Irvine. Watch out for something called Mello Roos. You can look it up on Wikipedia but the short story is that it'll cost you a lot every month. Only areas developed after 1982 might have it.

Large houses and lots are not the norm out here. Even many areas that do have large houses are still 6 feet apart.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The 91 is the only practical route through the Santa Ana Canyon. The 241 connects Irvine to the 91 but its a toll route. The 91 Express Lanes take you from Corona to the 91/55 interchange but you can't access them from the 241 and they're very expensive. The houses in Corona might look cheap but once you factor in the added transportation costs, time, and higher electric bills due to the hotter climate, its not as much of a deal as it might first appear.

Lake Forest and Mission Viejo are both nice area and close to Irvine. Watch out for something called Mello Roos. You can look it up on Wikipedia but the short story is that it'll cost you a lot every month. Only areas developed after 1982 might have it.

Large houses and lots are not the norm out here. Even many areas that do have large houses are still 6 feet apart.
Thanks for the details. A couple of questions, why is it hotter in Corona?
And how much are these highways?
Aren't there side streets?
Ugh - the dreaded electric bills. It'll be like back in AZ. Our electric bills are CHEAP here.
I'm okay with the houses being crowded together. (Believe it or not)
After living in Scottsdale where we did not have a very big yard and the houses were all close together I'm used to it.
Thank you once again for your help!

Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
Thanks for the details. A couple of questions, why is it hotter in Corona?
And how much are these highways?
Aren't there side streets?
Ugh - the dreaded electric bills. It'll be like back in AZ. Our electric bills are CHEAP here.
I'm okay with the houses being crowded together. (Believe it or not)
After living in Scottsdale where we did not have a very big yard and the houses were all close together I'm used to it.
Thank you once again for your help!
Geography. The climate gets warmer very quickly when you get away from the ocean. On a summer day, it might be 72 in Newport Beach, 85 in Fullerton, and 95 or more in Corona. Corona, being part of the Inland Empire, is largely cut off from the cool ocean breezes by the mountains.

The 91 freeway cuts through a narrow canyon between the mountains. It a natural choke point. There's no side streets that go all the way though as far as I know. The 91 Express lanes vary their rate depending on time of day and day of the week. I think the peak rate is somewhere around $11 now one way.

The electric bills might even be worse than Arizona if you live inland since our rates are pretty high. Its tiered so the more you use, the more each KwH costs you. It doesn't take that much usage to be paying $0.30/KwH or more. Expect electricity to get even more expensive as AB32 kicks in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County