Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times

Advertisements

Perfectly stated--those stats I posted regarding the average numbers for August came from National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report, one of several irrefutable weather sites out there.

Historically speaking, downtown LA (actually the USC campus, where the official NWS weather station has been since 1999) as well as Irvine will both be essentially bone-dry for the next seven months, at least through Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,285 times
I know this is really late by many, many, months but, having lived in the IE, Irvine, Houston and Austin, I learned what everyone here has seemed to have missed. It's not the humidity stupid, it's the DEWPOINT!!
In Houston the temp. can be 85dg., 70% hum. and a dewpoint of 65dg. When you go outside, you can't breathe the air is so thick with moisture.
In Irvine, 85dg., 70% hum., dewpoint of 45dg., and what you have is a gorgeous day.
That's the difference. Read up on the 'dewpoint'.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
I lived in SE Florida for 8 years, San Diego for 20+ years, Phoenix for 5 years, San Francisco Bay area for several years, Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela. I have now been living in the Temecula Valley for the past 10 years. There is no question that dry heat is much more comfortable. Florida was just downright miserable. We had to run the A/C when it was only 75 degrees because of the humidity. Here it is very comfortable to sit outside in 90 degree weather.

Actually the best weather I have experienced was living in Caracas Venezuela which has low humidity and is a pretty constant 80-85 in the day all year. For SoCal, we prefer the climate inland where we live now because it is drier and sunnier than the coast. It can get pretty hot in the summer but not brutally hot like Phoenix or Las Vegas. We like the heat. The dry heat argument goes out the window when the temperature passes 105-110. Being in 115 degree heat with the wind blowing is like standing in front of blast furnace. There is no doubt that Southern California does enjoy excellent weather. The central coast and the San Jose metro area are pretty good as well.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:15 AM

528 posts, read 867,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Yep as a native Califo0rnian now livi8ng in a humid State, dry is definitely better.

Hey, in So Cal I could work on my car for hours. Where I am now, I work for 5 minutes, change clothes, work for 5 minutes change clothes, etc . Humidity is OK if you are doing basically nothing requiring the flexing of a muscle. Dry heat is far better to work in, though only work you enjoy.
I call BS. For starters what idiot showers every 5 minutes? If you're working on a car, you stay out there and finish it.. getting hot comes with the territory and humidity can cool you off in the process if you get too wet. People like you are going to contribute to another water shortage wherever you are now living so stop it!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Dry heat makes all the difference in the world. If it's 95 degrees in El Paso, it's very pleasant and you can do anything outdoors you would like, 95 degrees in humid places feels a whole lot hotter. A good rule of thumb is to subtract 15 to 20 degrees when talking about desert heat.
Not true at all. Dry heat is still unpleasant, even at 95. Stop talking already Jesus. Give me humidity anyday. I find little difference in comfort levels and at least humidity cools you off if you are hot possibly enabling you to continue.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I lived in SE Florida for 8 years, San Diego for 20+ years, Phoenix for 5 years, San Francisco Bay area for several years, Canada, Mexico, and Venezuela. I have now been living in the Temecula Valley for the past 10 years. There is no question that dry heat is much more comfortable. Florida was just downright miserable. We had to run the A/C when it was only 75 degrees because of the humidity. Here it is very comfortable to sit outside in 90 degree weather.

Actually the best weather I have experienced was living in Caracas Venezuela which has low humidity and is a pretty constant 80-85 in the day all year. For SoCal, we prefer the climate inland where we live now because it is drier and sunnier than the coast. It can get pretty hot in the summer but not brutally hot like Phoenix or Las Vegas. We like the heat. The dry heat argument goes out the window when the temperature passes 105-110. Being in 115 degree heat with the wind blowing is like standing in front of blast furnace. There is no doubt that Southern California does enjoy excellent weather. The central coast and the San Jose metro area are pretty good as well.
Ummm..no.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:35 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Ummm..no.
Ummm..yes

You seem to be the only one that prefers high humidity which is your choice to make.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Ummm..yes

You seem to be the only one that prefers high humidity which is your choice to make.
I just don't see dry heat as being so much cooler.. I really don't even with no humidity. You sweat either way. I was sitting still outside for 20 minutes and my arms were getting damp. You get hot either way, it just might happen a little faster in FL. Moisture wins to me also the rain showers that cools it all off. I am not in SoCal, I am in Sacramento area and post on here from time to time.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 PM

125 posts, read 204,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
I find little difference in comfort levels and at least humidity cools you off if you are hot possibly enabling you to continue.
Humidity does not cool you off. In humid weather, sweat builds up on your skin. Your body's cooling mechanism is not able to do its job well because all the moisture in the air limits the evaporation of sweat. In a dry climate, sweat evaporates and is gone - your body's cooling mechanism working as it's supposed to.

As other posters have said, dry heat is more tolerable, and it is for this reason. And as markymark12 said, the dew point is the most useful measure of comfort. A couple weeks ago when we had really uncomfortable, sticky weather in SoCal, I checked the dew point and it was 71. That is very high for SoCal but in Houston or Miami that would be a pleasantly dry day.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
I think OC is worse because everyone here pretends it isn't hot when infact it can get smoldering hot in the summer. I've seen temps reach 95F and I live 2 miles from the beach LOL. The worst part about it is that none of the apartments here have AC and it can get uncomfortable. In other parts of the country people have AC since the climate is anticipated to get hot.

Per weather.com right now:

Atlanta, GA: Temp - 75F, Humidity - 72%, Dew point - 66F

Irvine, CA: Temp - 69F, Humidity - 76%, Dew point - 61F

Perfect weather in Irvine, NOT!!! rather, far from perfect! Just marginally better than Atlanta at the moment. Southern CA weather is definitely good overall but it is astronomically overrated and over hyped. By what people describe one would imagine the weather here is a paragon of perfection that rivals a laboratory setting.

Last edited by k374; 08-25-2014 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County