Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:32 PM

32 posts, read 61,144 times

Advertisements

I would be the happiest person if I could live in California and my family decided to move there too. That's the hardest part for me about uprooting my life--however, over the past 10 years some family members have moved very far away to other states (all cold ones!). I always stayed behind to support the family members that were still here, including my grandma who was left in a nursing facility. Let's just say that I feel like it's finally my turn to live my dream. All of those people are back now, and now I want a chance to do something different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,377 times
If you live somewhere cold and depressing like Chicago (sounds depressing as you say), I would definitely move to CA. Living in an apt in CA beats living in a cold dreary place any day.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM

8 posts, read 50,112 times
Please try to have at least one job/income between you and your husband before moving to southern California. It is a beautiful place, but it is expensive. You will enjoy life here a lot more if you are not spending your life savings down while you try to find work. Even with corporate offices located here, the job market is dry.

I was born and raised in Newport Beach. Children here do feel peer pressure because there are so many kids here who are raised with money, and many of them are spoiled. I remember my first encounter with this when a girl in junior high made fun of my clothing because it was purchased at JC Penny. The horror! I had a good group of friends and did well in school, but it was difficult. You can't keep up when there is a girl in your high school class who has a beaver coat that is dyed blue to match her Jaguar (yeah, really). I realize that your child is a long way from high school, but keep in mind that it is very hard for a child to have down to earth values here because this area is so horribly materialistic.

If you decide to make the move, also consider that beach rental prices fluctuate significantly during the year. It would be wise to rent after the summer season ends, and you can count on your rent increasing once your lease is up. Do your homework on your potential landlords, and keep in mind that the description "beach cottage" often means teeny tiny old rental. Can you live without a garage or significant storage?

As for a stigma against renting, I guess it is all in your personal values. You will encounter a large population here that looks down upon you because your car is not as nice as theirs. Mind you, many of the "down lookers" are leasing a BMW that they can barely afford, and they have no furniture in their huge house, but they put on a good front and act as if they own the town. You just have to be happy with who you are.

Laguna is a magical place. I don't blame you for having this dream, but there are other beach communities in southern California that might be more practical and affordable. And, are you really prepared to be so far away from your family when you have a little one?

Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Still here, folks. No luck in getting even a phone interview for me or the hubs when it comes to jobs in southern California. I'm thinking that we could take a week long trip where my husband could interview with a creative placement agency? Then we may have a better feel for things. I feel like it's really time to get the heck out of this miserable state of IL!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,577 times
What credentials do either of you have?

Phone interviews are not done even un a good economy. Ca has an employment rate around 10 per cent. So unless you are a CEO or a brain surgeon. Forget finding a job that pays enuf to live here

If you are a CEO. Hire a professional recruiter.

Good luck

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM

@nurserosie--lots of places do phone interviews. Maybe the field you are in doesn't, but it's not uncommon in other types of work.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
More socially acceptable than spending way above your means and not having an emergency fund, then some financial catastrophe forces your family onto the streets.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:20 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
More socially acceptable than spending way above your means and not having an emergency fund, then some financial catastrophe forces your family onto the streets.
I would say that living beyond your means is socially encouraged in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County