Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:56 AM

10 posts, read 10,850 times

Advertisements

Are there any beach towns that allow for a easy commute to east Irvine (just east of the 5/405 split)? It looks like we may end up OC by the end of this year and I am looking at different housing options. Schools are of utmost importance but so is travel time. Whats the chance I can find a nice place to buy or rent that allows for a 30 minute or so commute that will let us at least to see the ocean and feel the breeze that it brings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM

590 posts, read 1,250,271 times
To "see" the ocean you will need millions of dollars.

And no. It will not be close to the Irvine area you describe

What many do not realize is the "hill" that separates irvine and the ocean.

Further south. Like laguna niguel. Has a better breeze. But still cannot see the water unless you are high on a hill

Irvine schools btw are amongst the best in the area tho. So the warmer weather can be worth the trade off

Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post

And no. It will not be close to the Irvine area you describe
I am looking on Craigslist right now at homes for rent. There is a home in Laguna Niguel for instance that has ocean view and has plenty of room for us. Rent is under 3k a month and when I map it it is only a 12 mile commute. If you could take a look at a map for me I am using Laguna Niguel as a start and Alton Pkwy in Irvine as a finish. How long would you guess that commute would actually take at 7am?
Stunning 3 Bedroom 3 Bathroom in Laguna Niguel!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM

That place is gone. According to your link

Rent at nearly 3 k a month is sorta wasting your Money

My h.o. Opinion

Not sure of that specific plane btw. But MTV sister has lived in on for over 20 years.

Except for the million dollar oils places. Have never seen the ocean.

I could be wrong

Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
That place is gone. According to your link

Rent at nearly 3 k a month is sorta wasting your Money

My h.o. Opinion
I do agree with you except that we will only be in the state for 4 to a max of 5 years. I think for that short of a time we will be better off renting as opposed to going through the hassles and expenses of purchasing. On the other hand rates are so good now maybe we should purchase and hope the market continues to improve.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:12 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,021,618 times
Quote:
Not true. We can see the ocean from our condo. And it sure did not cost a million dollars (or even over 400K)

That being said, Costa Mesa and Southwest Huntington Beach both deliver affordable rents, are close to the ocean, and within a 30 minute commute (I lived in Costa Mesa when I returned to CA, and worked in Aliso Viejo - took me about 30 minutes)

Costa Mesa has some sketchy areas but There are also some very nice areas. Newport Harbor High School is within the District.

Huntington Beach has excellent Schools.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 11,902 times
Quote:
If you could take a look at a map for me I am using Laguna Niguel as a start and Alton Pkwy in Irvine as a finish. How long would you guess that commute would actually take at 7am?
Minimum of 30 minutes, if you are starting at 7am, but maybe longer because everyone else is doing the same commute, which is heading north from South County into Irvine. What about the western edge of Irvine? I am thinking of some newer communities built there like Quail Hill (Turtle Rock may be too expensive); these are closer to that "hill" that a previous poster mentioned and therefore may give you a bit cooler weather. Costa Mesa varies A LOT by neighborhood. You have to choose carefully, including what school serves that neighborhood. But you would get a 30 minute commute. And better chance of an ocean breeze there.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Not true. We can see the ocean from our condo. And it sure did not cost a million dollars (or even over 400K)

That being said, Costa Mesa and Southwest Huntington Beach both deliver affordable rents, are close to the ocean, and within a 30 minute commute (I lived in Costa Mesa when I returned to CA, and worked in Aliso Viejo - took me about 30 minutes)

Costa Mesa has some sketchy areas but There are also some very nice areas. Newport Harbor High School is within the District.

Huntington Beach has excellent Schools.
How close to the water was your condo actually?

We live high non the Tustin hills. We cab occasion see Catalina and the glint off the ocean. But I would never call it a view.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,021,618 times
Quote:
How close to the water was your condo actually?

We live high non the Tustin hills. We cab occasion see Catalina and the glint off the ocean. But I would never call it a view.
We are a mile away, with the Bolsa Chica Wetlands as a buffer.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 AM

Ok. I'll buy that constitutes a view.

Guess I am thinking of beach residences that actually touch the sand!

Everyone has their own definition of view

We owned a nice sized condo many years ago in Newport beach. 4 bedrooms. Etc. the "view" however was a peekaboo only sliver. Only from the upstairs bedroom

Rest of the view was of other condos. Roofs. And pch! We hated it Luckily in those days condos had a decent resale value. So we left

If I was a beach person. Which btw I am not. It would only count if the beach/sand was walk able. And the view resembled those places in Malibu

Yeah. I know we can never afford that. So glad i don't want that anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County