Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 12:35 AM

88 posts, read 296,378 times

Advertisements

East 17th street near north grand ave....how bad is this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Are you going to live at Target? There are no houses at 17th and Grand. 17th is a commercial street.

How do you measure "badness"?

I never heard or saw anyone get shot near that intersection.

It is a busy intersection with lots of traffic. There are all kinds of people passing through there. Lawyers, Doctors, Plumbers, gangbangers, homeless, . . .

Would I put up a tent and sleep in the target parking lot? Probably not.

Would I leave my car unlocked at the Food 4 Less? No.

Am I frightend to ride my bicycle up to Taco Bell for a snack? No.

I am not sure how you define bad. Nor is it clear where you are talking about. Is it a work place? There are no homes there. There is a Target, a strip mall Food 4 less, and a convenience pharmacy (Sav On Save More or Walgreens or simlar. I never pay attention to the name. they are all the same).

If you are looking at homes or apatemnts in the general area, it depnds on where you are looking. There are a few apartments along 17th. I would not suggest living there. North east of 17th street is an OK subdivision. The train runs right through it, so they are not high end homes, but it is not horrid. Further West is PArk Santiago Neighborhood. It is not bad, especially inthe heart of the neighborhood. The outer part, especially near 17th or main is less nice.

I can only guess where you are actually asking about or why.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:43 PM

88 posts, read 296,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I can only guess where you are actually asking about or why.
It seems to be where the marijuana clinics are but I'm not sure if it's safe to go there

Old 03-24-2012, 11:02 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Not bad as long as you are Hispanic and know the right signs to throw down.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
You could also consider going a few blocks east.. east of 55 where Tustin begins. I'm not sure if the Tustin side is any better esp in the immediate area.

This entire area is a mediocre neighborhood.. liveable? Yes. But not too nice though.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
It is not bad. Wen I am in Calfornia I live very near there. I shop at target, PEP boys, Walgreens (or whatever that store is), buy gas just up the street, get my car repaired at the Chevy delearship (or I used to), sometimes eat at Taco bell, Dennys, IHOP, or Starbucks in that area.

I have no idea whether the pot shops are safe or where they are. I have no interest in them. Sorry.

I would guess in this area, that if there are pot shops, the local gangs probably have some interest in them, or protect them. It is definetely somones turf. But then I expect that all pot shops are problbably within someones turf and eighter protected by or run by, or at least partially invested in by the local gangs.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is not bad. Wen I am in Calfornia I live very near there. I shop at target, PEP boys, Walgreens (or whatever that store is), buy gas just up the street, get my car repaired at the Chevy delearship (or I used to), sometimes eat at Taco bell, Dennys, IHOP, or Starbucks in that area.

I have no idea whether the pot shops are safe or where they are. I have no interest in them. Sorry.

I would guess in this area, that if there are pot shops, the local gangs probably have some interest in them, or protect them. It is definetely somones turf. But then I expect that all pot shops are problbably within someones turf and eighter protected by or run by, or at least partially invested in by the local gangs.
This is one of my old stomping grounds. I lived just a couple blocks north of 17th and Tustin Ave.

Anywho... I wouldn't call this area bad. The Tustin side of the 55 is definitely better, but I used to be all over this area and never encountered any issues. Before moving up to Orange, that was the Target I shopped at for the most part. We left the area because our nice, quiet apartment complex came under new management and they started jacking up our rent every 6 months and moving in "cash only" immigrants who were packing in 10 or more people per apartment, so it became overcrowded.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 AM

11 posts, read 27,185 times
Well, dont wear a skirt there lol.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM

74 posts, read 188,328 times
You best be claiming southside, homes. Dont mess with La Raza! MS-13 putos get dealt with quick!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 AM

8 posts, read 20,166 times
We live in Santa Ana right next to Grand and 17th st. We are a caucasian couple with 4 kids. OUr kids go to the neighborhood school and we love it here. In my opinion, most people who say it's a bad area, probably drove through it and not lived here. We have generous neighbors and yes, we have kids who wander around but they don't kids wander where ever you live. If you're talking about the houses behind Target, that's a really NICE area but it depends on what you call bad or nice. We've never had any problems here, in fact, it's quiet here. Sometimes people can get scared because they hear about gang problems, but we've never even seen a gang. We walk in our streets as a family, go bike riding, here, and are very happy. Who are we: artist, modern family who likes to live in peace. Sometimes Santa Ana, (in general), gets a bad rap, unfortunately. In my opinion, there are more nice neighborhoods than not. The main street might not look incredibly beautiful, but if you turn into pretty much any neighborhood, it's almost like, "wow, where did this come from?" I love how surprising it is. People said for us to stay out of Santa Ana, so we sought after it, and house hunting in many different neighborhoods, we fell in love! Also, it's like soooooo much cheaper, (in price), than other towns. So, to answer your question, the neighborhood that I think you might be speaking of is a nice one and it's diverse with families.
Hope this helped?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County