Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM

12 posts, read 23,403 times

Advertisements

I am real estate hunting...have been for some time, found a great home on W Santa Clara, in Santa Ana, and one in Fullerton on W Ash...trying to find a great vintage home, on a nice street (neighborhood) with decent schools..6 kids! Any help or advice?? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 02:08 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom6times View Post
I am real estate hunting...have been for some time, found a great home on W Santa Clara, in Santa Ana, and one in Fullerton on W Ash...trying to find a great vintage home, on a nice street (neighborhood) with decent schools..6 kids! Any help or advice?? Thank you.
Can't say much about the schools in Santa Ana, because I don't know, but pretty much anywhere on Santa Clara Avenue is great. I love that neighborhood!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
If you are in Floral Park on Santa Clara, it is great. Floral Park is the nicest neighbrohood in all of Orange COunty inmy opinion. If it is Santa Clara the other way, you are looking at Park Santiago. Park Santiago is pretty nice. It is not quite as nice as Floral Park and the elementary school there (hoover) is awful. Do nto got to Hoover, find another school. You need to find out what neighbrohood you are in.

At to schools . . . Santa Ana schools are generally poor performing. That is becasue a large percentage of the population does nto speak english.

You can find decent options if you work at it. John Muir was not bad. Villa middle school or Mendez Middle school are pretty good. Orange County High School of the arts is a very very good school if oyu cna get in (not sports there though). Thay also have a middle school. They also have a connected elementary, but I do not know if it is any good. Middle College is also a good high school. The elementary school for Floral Park is decent.

If you have the money, there are good private school options. We loved El Durado School in Orange. Expensive but absolutely wonderful. Mater Dei in Santa Ana is a decent school and great for sports.

Troy high school in Fullerton is execellent, but hard to get into and very competitve.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 23,403 times
Thanks! The listing is in Floral Park, is it hard to place your kids in the better school if your not zoned for it? that's my fear...We are also looking in Fullerton, great house but again, the zoned schools are not so great, I want to get them in elsewhere up the road...Also on the OC arts school, is there a long waiting list, and does it cost? My 7th grader is A+ district honor roll here, and plays guitar, all my kids are great students...Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it, you have given me advice in past posts and it was very helpful, thank you!

Old 01-10-2010, 03:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Getting into other schools was no problem for us. USe the fundamental schools. You have to sign a contract and do a minimal amount of volunteer work (unless they changed the rules). Aside from the funadmental schools and the elementary that serves Floral park. Stay out of the S.A. public school system excpet the charter schools.

OCHSA admission is based on talent more than grades, but their academic performance is superior. Our older kids had no problem getting in. One was admitted for voice, clarinet, and Musical theater; the other for voice and creative writing. It cost somewhere around $3000 per year for workshop fees or somesuch. You ALso must do some volunteer work. They have a longer school day than regular schools.

OCHSA is supposed to take a certain number of students from within the Santa ANa school district and they used to have difficulty meeting that quota. It meant that Santa Ana kids had an edge in getting in. I am not sure if that is still true, but I would be willing to bet that it is.

If you choose Floral Park, PM me and I will try to get you in touch with some people in your neighborhood. Lots of nice people live there.

Keep in mind, Santa Ana isover 80% Latino. If that bothers you, move to south county instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County