Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,172,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphita View Post
Could a 4-person family with $70,000 in household income, $70,000 for a down payment, and no debt, afford to buy in OC? Or would we need to take UC Irvine's subsidized faculty housing (since my husband would be working for the university)?
Near Irvine, in some of the newer Tustin townhomes, there are some homes available that are a part of Tustin's moderate income housing program that you could likely qualify for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 28,299 times
realistically, what is the current price range for a fairly updated 3 bedroom, 2+ bath, 1,500+ SF in the more family friendly and slightly higher income areas of the county?

what are property taxes like out there?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Headline in one of today's papers, "Housing Prices Surge in Bay Area" December median of 470k is 24% improvement over a year ago...

So it's not just in Orange Country...

Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteflite View Post
realistically, what is the current price range for a fairly updated 3 bedroom, 2+ bath, 1,500+ SF in the more family friendly and slightly higher income areas of the county?

what are property taxes like out there?
If you're talking detached homes, you're looking at around $500K minimum and upwards of about $700-800K--specifically based on areas like Irvine, Aliso Viejo, nicer parts of Tustin, Anaheim Hills and Yorba Linda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Headline in one of today's papers, "Housing Prices Surge in Bay Area" December median of 470k is 24% improvement over a year ago...

So it's not just in Orange Country...
Yeah, that's about the same year-over-year increase as OC

Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,779,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Couldn't he just get a second and avoid the PMI?
No. Lenders are very strict now about the borrower providing proof that they have their own funds to pay the down payment. The days of creative financing are long gone. The borrower's income and assets have to be very well documented.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphita View Post
Could a 4-person family with $70,000 in household income, $70,000 for a down payment, and no debt, afford to buy in OC? Or would we need to take UC Irvine's subsidized faculty housing (since my husband would be working for the university)?
I would definitely say no. Both the income and down payment are insufficient to buy a home in a decent area.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I would definitely say no. Both the income and down payment are insufficient to buy a home in a decent area.
That would generally be true, but taking into account some of the moderate income programs available in much of OC, it's doable. For example, a 3bd/2b townhome in Columbus Grove (a nice, newer family oriented area in Tustin) goes for about $335K under this program. With $70K down and an interest rate of about 3.5%, the monthly payment would be around $1190 a month (not including property taxes, HOA or utilities). Then again, I don't see anything wrong with living in the subsidized housing provided by UCI.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
That would generally be true, but taking into account some of the moderate income programs available in much of OC, it's doable. For example, a 3bd/2b townhome in Columbus Grove (a nice, newer family oriented area in Tustin) goes for about $335K under this program. With $70K down and an interest rate of about 3.5%, the monthly payment would be around $1190 a month (not including property taxes, HOA or utilities). Then again, I don't see anything wrong with living in the subsidized housing provided by UCI.
I will admit that I am totally ignorant of any moderate income programs available. I just learned today that there is a program in Santa Clara County ( Metro San Jose ) for people with a household income less than $85,000 /yr. that provides help for both renters and purchasing.

That is a good deal. Actually you can get a 3.00% 30 year fixed right now. I am pretty familiar with the rates as I am going to refinance my home. I just did it less than a year ago at 4.5%.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I will admit that I am totally ignorant of any moderate income programs available. I just learned today that there is a program in Santa Clara County ( Metro San Jose ) for people with a household income less than $85,000 /yr. that provides help for both renters and purchasing.

That is a good deal. Actually you can get a 3.00% 30 year fixed right now. I am pretty familiar with the rates as I am going to refinance my home. I just did it less than a year ago at 4.5%.
Yeah, a lot of people aren't aware of these programs, but they can be really beneficial for some buyers. Of course there are qualifications and restrictions. For example, when you're ready to move/sell you have to find buyers who are also qualified for the moderate income program.

3.0% on a 30 year fixed is a great rate! I'm starting to see rates creep up a little, so your timing couldn't be better.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,554,900 times
Hardly a bubble. Prices dipped too low in the recession. As the economy improves you will see a quick rise to recover prices to something more reasonable. They will not return to where they were. If I had a lot of money sitting around I'd be buying homes left and right myself. Homes are still undervalued, albeit probably not for long. The banks have also gotten smart. They're holding on to their foreclosures and releasing them into the market at a slow pace. This is keeping inventories from being too high. I think a lot of homeowners will be happy to see a good chunk of their home values return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County