Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 AM

7 posts, read 49,959 times

Advertisements

I've been having so much trouble finding a place due to every time I find a place an investor or buyer comes in and pays cash. I've mainly been keeping my search to anything south from Santa Ana.

Since I haven't had much luck, I started expanding my search into other areas, I recently came across these places in Anaheim called the Harbor Lofts. I went down Lincoln and it didn't look too bad and the immediate area around the Harbor Lofts looked nice.

I've seen some older forum posts in regards to the lofts and them having trouble selling the units. I'm guessing this is a combination or location and price. Price being over 300k for a loft where you still need to partition it, at least if you want rooms.

Getting to my question, does anyone here actually live in the Harbor Lofts? If so, what has your experience been so far? How is the community in the complex? What do you do if you need to park a third car? Does the area seem to be improving at all?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 16,062 times
I just typed a ridiculously long response, and of course.. my internet at work timed out.

I'm surprised that nobody has replied to this thread what so ever.
HL is comprised of 129 units, to which, I believe half are occupied as I write this.
HOA is well funded, and the last time I went to go with my Realtor, they were repainting the building. Good to know they upkeep the place. Pool is well cleaned and the common area is well maintained.

As far as the area goes, I was a little skeptical too. I work in Fountain Valley, so I have the unfortunate privilege of driving past all the crappy parts of Anaheim and Santa Ana, lol. I scoped out the place through crime stats, anaheim arrest records, and DIY investigative work. Seemed to check out for the most part, with the exception of a burglary early Feb.

Still, I feel that the overall area is improving greatly and attracting younger and higher income crowds. Umami, Gypsy Den, The Lab, Flame Broiler, StarBucks, and some other restaurants are already in the works (or already there). To me, indicates a good sign.

I bought a 2 story townhome off W Center St, which is set to close in a month. I'm really excited for the potential.

And to address your concern about parking a third card, I don't think there are any options other than street parking on W Center St, or trying to use the structure.. which.. according to the crime stats, has a pretty high rate of theft (busting out your window and grabbing). Although, I haven't witnessed anything like that first hand.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredfast View Post
I just typed a ridiculously long response, and of course.. my internet at work timed out.

I'm surprised that nobody has replied to this thread what so ever.
HL is comprised of 129 units, to which, I believe half are occupied as I write this.
HOA is well funded, and the last time I went to go with my Realtor, they were repainting the building. Good to know they upkeep the place. Pool is well cleaned and the common area is well maintained.

As far as the area goes, I was a little skeptical too. I work in Fountain Valley, so I have the unfortunate privilege of driving past all the crappy parts of Anaheim and Santa Ana, lol. I scoped out the place through crime stats, anaheim arrest records, and DIY investigative work. Seemed to check out for the most part, with the exception of a burglary early Feb.

Still, I feel that the overall area is improving greatly and attracting younger and higher income crowds. Umami, Gypsy Den, The Lab, Flame Broiler, StarBucks, and some other restaurants are already in the works (or already there). To me, indicates a good sign.

I bought a 2 story townhome off W Center St, which is set to close in a month. I'm really excited for the potential.

And to address your concern about parking a third card, I don't think there are any options other than street parking on W Center St, or trying to use the structure.. which.. according to the crime stats, has a pretty high rate of theft (busting out your window and grabbing). Although, I haven't witnessed anything like that first hand.
The big question is the HOA fees. If the builder is still in charge he gets the work done at a far lower cost than the HOA would when sold out. He does this to keep the HOA low and not scare anyone off. In one place I know of the HOA was about $100.00 per month when the builder was still involved. When he left the fees went to $487.00 per month to cover the costs he did not include in his "coverage".

Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 AM

4 posts, read 16,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
The big question is the HOA fees. If the builder is still in charge he gets the work done at a far lower cost than the HOA would when sold out. He does this to keep the HOA low and not scare anyone off. In one place I know of the HOA was about $100.00 per month when the builder was still involved. When he left the fees went to $487.00 per month to cover the costs he did not include in his "coverage".
Now this portion I'm not too clear on. I don't expect the HOA to jump 400% as I took a look at the itemized expected maintenance costs for the development and they didn't seem abnormally low. Currently, the builder is subsidizing the overall HOA reserves as more units continue to be sold. Don't know how long that will last, and am definitely not experienced enough to comment. I think given the property type and area, $350 is about the going rate (which, IMO is pretty steep already).

Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredfast View Post
Now this portion I'm not too clear on. I don't expect the HOA to jump 400% as I took a look at the itemized expected maintenance costs for the development and they didn't seem abnormally low. Currently, the builder is subsidizing the overall HOA reserves as more units continue to be sold. Don't know how long that will last, and am definitely not experienced enough to comment. I think given the property type and area, $350 is about the going rate (which, IMO is pretty steep already).
That sounds pretty reasonable. You might ask your Realtor about comparable units in the area. Costs should be about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County