Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 12:59 PM

463 posts, read 1,292,768 times

Advertisements

We just moved back to So Cal 6 months ago. Trying to figure out where to buy a home and what high school would be best for our child. He starts HS in Aug. 2013. Considering Orange. Which do you think is the overall best? I already know Orange HS is not that good. Or if you have another city or HS suggestion that would be great too.

1) Villa Park

2) El Modena

3) Orange
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM

231 posts, read 590,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
We just moved back to So Cal 6 months ago. Trying to figure out where to buy a home and what high school would be best for our child. He starts HS in Aug. 2013. Considering Orange. Which do you think is the overall best? I already know Orange HS is not that good. Or if you have another city or HS suggestion that would be great too.

1) Villa Park

2) El Modena

3) Orange
When I lived in Orange my step daughter went to Orange Lutheran for freshman and sophmore year.
Then to Canyon her Junior year.
Then to Villa Park her senior year.
We lived in the housing tract near Orange-Olive and Riverdale.
When private school was no longer economically feasible she had the choice to go to either Canyon or Villa Park based on the area of Orange we lived in. She liked Canyon, but it didn't offer some classes she wanted so she went to Villa Park her senior year. I think they are both good schools. Of course, the private education she received at Orange Lutheran was superior, if you can afford it.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,507 times
I have a couple of friends who went to Orange Lutheran and one who went to Villa Park. From what I understand, they're both very good schools. El Modena is a pretty highly rated school and Canyon is as well. You'd probably want to stick to those over Orange if possible. Aside from that, if there are any sports or arts programs your daughter is into, you might want to check which schools offer the best options for her.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
The best school in Orange IMO is Eldorado Emerson School for Gifted Children. It is a tiny private school with a great teaching philosophy. It is mongo expensive (i.e. $13 - $15K a year or more). If you can afford it, it is worth in in my opinion.

Orange Lutheran is probably the next best (also private).

Villa park is highly regraded. They do have a drug issue, but all schools do. Just seems to be more so where you ahve lots of rich kids who do nto need to work and have nothing to do with their time and money. We ahd a friend who left there for Orange High to get away from the drug situation (he got caught up in it).

I do not know about Canyon. I have heard it is a good school, that is about it.

Overall any of the Orange schools are good enough if your kids are motivated and good students. With a 4.0 from any of the schools and execellent test scores, they will still get into any college they want. IF they sing, Orange high has an advantage over other schools, His name is Mike Short.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
Villa Park.

ElMo is in a somewhat sketchy area, but otherwise don't have much to say about it. They have a good wrestling team last I heard

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM

The school would be for my son. And besides education, he plays basketball. If we could afford OLU, we would send him there. We were thinking Villa Park or Canyon if we move to that area.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 PM

I believe Villa Park is one of the better ranked schools for basketball in that area.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM

Joe...I see your in Brea...how are the prices there?

Old 02-02-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
Joe...I see your in Brea...how are the prices there?
North OC is pretty active right now. Like the rest of the county, prices are steadily going up. 3 bedroom single family homes in Brea are going anywhere between $450-550K+, depending on the size, age, condition, etc. I've been previewing a lot of the newer construction in the area too--Brea, La Habra and Yorba Linda mostly. I'm anxious to see what they do with the La Floresta community. If you're considering North OC, Brea, Fullerton, Placentia, Yorba Linda and Anahiem Hills all have great high schools.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
North OC is pretty active right now. Like the rest of the county, prices are steadily going up. 3 bedroom single family homes in Brea are going anywhere between $450-550K+, depending on the size, age, condition, etc. I've been previewing a lot of the newer construction in the area too--Brea, La Habra and Yorba Linda mostly. I'm anxious to see what they do with the La Floresta community. If you're considering North OC, Brea, Fullerton, Placentia, Yorba Linda and Anahiem Hills all have great high schools.
We took a drive out to show my son Canyon HS. We really liked it. Is it possible to find a home that feeds Canyon HS under 500K? At least 3bd, 2ba min 1400 sq ft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County