Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 09:31 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times

Advertisements

I only have two more months to make a decision. I currently live in Ventura and started working from home. I've long desired to move further south but I seem to be stuck between San Clemente/Orange County (but really stuck on SC for some reason...) or San Diego but probably more specifically the North County of San Diego.

I haven't spent a ton of time in either area but some.

Some pros of San Clemente that I see..

-beach, obviously
-found some decent apartments on the other side of the 5 (will have to visit to see if its really as nice as it seems)
-near a church I want to become a regular at
-close to both LA and San Diego if I were to lose my job or want to look around
-I tend to like small downtowns and I like to be near cities while still feeling a little bit of a slower pace
-it is halfway between my two biggest clients if I do need to do an onsite visit in Ventura or SD, and amtrak is there to transport me

My concern is that I could regret not moving closer to SD or LA (though I doubt the latter), and that maybe San Clemente is too small for i.e. hard to make friends, everyone already knows each other kind of place?

I'm not in the market for a home, just looking for a decent place to live since I work from home I need at least 2 bedrooms or a 1.5 (now I know from experience...)

I've heard the OC is crappy for singles but I'm wondering if that is just something people just throw out there because they 'heard' it but never really lived that way themselves. Everyone seems to think an urban core is the place to be single but I'm not sure it matters. Ive never met tons of people either way based on where I live and tend to meet people online, through organizations or through work. I value my saftey, outdoors and peace and quiet in a living situation though I do like small/medium downtowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,846 times
San Clemente certainly sounds like a decent fit for you. Carlsbad is also a pretty nice choice with perhaps slightly better nightlife and job opportunities. I would try to spend a little time in both places before making a decision.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 PM

thanks I've been looking in that area too.....is it me or have I read that Carlsbad gets the worst of the marine layer in that area? San Clemente just seems to have the most awesome beach....whenever I go by on Amtrak or when I've stopped there it just seems like everyone is having the time of thier life, the water is warmer its sunny....sigh...lol

Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
thanks I've been looking in that area too.....is it me or have I read that Carlsbad gets the worst of the marine layer in that area? San Clemente just seems to have the most awesome beach....whenever I go by on Amtrak or when I've stopped there it just seems like everyone is having the time of thier life, the water is warmer its sunny....sigh...lol
As you said, you are just looking for a rental, so why not first try San Clemente and, if it doesn't workout, move to Carlsbad? Nothing beats firsthand experience. Besides,you are single and have flexibility.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:30 PM

good point. I do have some stuff and moving sucks, but it might even make sense to put my stuff in storage for awhile and do some short term rentals...hmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County