Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 11,814 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating from the East Coast for a job in Irvine. I am a single woman looking for a reasonable one bedroom rental in a town that is no more than a 45 minute commute. If possible, I would prefer to be north or northeast or northwest as I have friends and relatives in L-A and Simi Valley...Does anyone have any suggestions? The only time I've ever been in Orange County has been to use John Wayne Airport...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM

1,500 posts, read 889,310 times
Default moving to Irvine

Hopefully you now you will not be seeing your friends in LA or Simi except on weekends?? Right

both are way too long a drive for weekday jaunts...

If you are working in Irvine you have lots of choices..

Can you share your rental budget..and where in Irvine?? It is a pretty large community

but don't despair...you can find great rentals..just nowhere close to your friends up north of here...

keep in touch

Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 PM

weekends are reserved for friends and family...i am not sure what to reserve for rent...1300 to 1500?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:57 PM

not sure where in irvine yet....let me see if i can figure that out...hear alton parkway ...north of the 405 --west of the 133 and east of sand canyon ave...does that make sense?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 PM

542 posts, read 1,550,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiegio View Post
not sure where in irvine yet....let me see if i can figure that out...hear alton parkway ...north of the 405 --west of the 133 and east of sand canyon ave...does that make sense?
That will be by Tustin. You could look in Tustin, Irvine, or Orange. Avoid Santa Ana for the most part. Check areas before you sign a lease, even decent cities have bad areas. You will probably not want to be too far from your job, since traffic south on the 55 and 405 will be busy at morning rush hour, reverse for afternoon rush hour. If you are looking for a studio or one bedroom, you should not have too much trouble finding something in these cities.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,594,108 times
Quote:

That's a pretty nice area. There is a Kaiser permanente. A HOAG hospital and quite a lot if industrial/commercial. And Quail Hill cross the street. I do a lot of work in the area there and its a completely safe area.

There are a ton of apartment buildings in fact across the way on the south/other side of the freeway. Cross the freeway on sand canyon there is a rotunda go to the left behind the shopping center is a big apartment building. There are plenty of places for you to rent in irvine. My mom was renting in one of those apartment buildings off sand canyon. I think she was paying 1450 for a one bedroom.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-22-2013 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM

so i should consider irvine itself too?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,594,108 times
Quote:
so i should consider irvine itself too?
If you want to be close to work yeah. I'm not sure how far you are willing to drive. Are you gonna see your friends in LA every day or weekends only? For example if you lived in fountain valley you're looking at maybe 20-30 minutes of traffic depending on time of day you need to be at work etc. look at the map. Fountain Valley and Quail Hill. Its a straight shot down the 405. If you wanted to be closer to LA you can move to Seal Beach. Do you only plan on seeing your friends during the weekends its not as bad. If its during the week after 5 forget trying to g to LA you'll be road raging in a hour,

Here is the area you described.

Here is a wider shot

Old 08-22-2013, 10:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,354,337 times
A threshold question is whether you are willing to pay a premium to rent a place near the beach. A lot of single people prefer the beach towns (Laguna, Newport, Huntington, Seal) because there is a little more in the way of nightlife. But you pay for that SoCal beach lifestyle. There are also a lot of great places that are several miles inland that will run a little cheaper, but which have a decidedly different vibe. Irvine is find, and it has the virtue of being near your job, but you pay a premium there also -- instead of the beach, it is b/c of the strong public school system. Since this is not an issue for you (I don't think), and if you didn't want to pay high price to live on the coast, I would look at inland communities near Irvine, including Costa Mesa, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, and Aliso Viejo. For the most part, they are quiet residential areas. But they are more affordable and closer to your work than a lot of other places you might consider.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:08 PM

i appreciate all of the advice and the maps etc --keep it coming!...i love the beach but as long as i can drive to it..that is fine...i spent my life in NJ heading "down the shore" --when I was growing up we also had a home at the beach and for many years I also lived in NYC overlooking the rivers...so I don't need that or a school system...i need a nice apartment that doesn't eat up my whole pay check (have been out of work and want to clean up bills, etc) --in a nice, safe community ...one that won't put me into road rage on the way to work --but remember..i am used to traffic (NJ/NY!) and in an area that on weekends makes it easy for me to head to L-A and Simi Valley...I do appreciate it...I am so much more familiar with L-A and Ventura counties and know nothing beyond the "The Real Housewives of O.C.!"--if this job comes thru --i do expect it to be very very low six figures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County