Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 8,875 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, i currently live in england in the u.k., ive always dreamed about moving over to LA, to pursue my acting career. Having looked at orange county and some of the beautiful locations there are i was just looking for some advice.

How close or how long does it take to get from, say Newport to Beverly hills?

And what is the best area to live in without breaking the bank.

Are there many jobs going in fashion and what is the fashion industry like in comparison to new york?

What is the traffic like around LA / OC, i've heard its not as bad as London so thats something good so far.

Does anyone have any information on greencards and visa's i did look into it but its rather confusing when it comes to people working in the entertainment industry.

Anyone know a good website for property rentals, and also holiday packages to see the best of what i can expect in certain areas.

Any information that you think would be helpful please feel free to say..

Whats the yearly weather like? This country is depressing, rain and dull days for 98% of the year followed by the famous 1 week of hot weather a year! And its also exceptionally expensive. To rent a single room of a house in central London is £500 per month which is $1000!

Last edited by Jackwall; 11-30-2007 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 12:48 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,348 times
First off, I would forget converting pounds to dollars... it doesn't really work out that way.

I have not lived in OC or LA but have visited there a few times. The traffic is just as bad as London's. There is a lot more traffic there but the roads/highways are bigger and can accomodate more traffic. I have never seen so much traffic as the freeways in southern california.

I think that living out there in comparison to here would be fairly similar in terms of cost. Its very high for US standards.

You need to find a company willing to sponsor you for a greencard. The US is very difficult to emmigrate to if you do it legally.

Best of luck.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,833,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwall View Post
How close or how long does it take to get from, say Newport to Beverly hills?

And what is the best area to live in without breaking the bank.

What is the traffic like around LA / OC,

Whats the yearly weather like?
One to two hours one way from NB to BH.
What's the breaking point of the bank?
What units to you want your answers in for weather and traffic?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
One to two hours one way from NB to BH.
What's the breaking point of the bank?
What units to you want your answers in for weather and traffic?

Well over here a starter home as such would be around £200,000 to £300,000 so double those numbers and thats it in dollars.

Ive looked at renting and it seems to be more reasonable than buying, what kind of price is it for a nice area, with views and a good location but not right at the top of the property ladder, were talking 1 to 2 bedrooms. Rent per month?

Weather and traffic just explain however you want im sure il catch on.

With the entertainment industry and fashion industry for my partner as the main work area to go for would you recommend the o.c. or somewhere closer maybe to central LA ?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Weather and traffic just explain however you want im sure il catch on.
Very Good and Very Bad, respectively.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Very Good and Very Bad, respectively.

Is there a wet season? how often is it hot and sunny there?

Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Is there a wet season? how often is it hot and sunny there?
Most rain is Jan-Feb-March (these data are easily available on the internet, did you check?)

Hot (where it is hot, inland) July-August-Sept

Sunny all year.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the infortmation, do you know any good villa or vacation rental companies or websites which could be good to look at as im looking to come out and stay there for a couple of weeks.

Do you know the maximum period of time your allowed in the states without a visa, as i shall extend my holiday for as long as possible before returning to sort out paper work.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:57 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,247,348 times
Quote:
Thanks for the infortmation, do you know any good villa or vacation rental companies or websites which could be good to look at as im looking to come out and stay there for a couple of weeks.

Do you know the maximum period of time your allowed in the states without a visa, as i shall extend my holiday for as long as possible before returning to sort out paper work.

Thanks for all the help.

Try Hotels.com, expedia.com, and google places to stay wherever it is you want to stay.

You can stay for 90 days on a visa waiver with a British passport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County