Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "The Real Housewives of Orange County" Representative of The O.C.?
Yes 19 22.89%
Somewhat 26 31.33%
No 29 34.94%
You're from Scranton, and you care about this because...? 10 12.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:30 PM

130 posts, read 173,209 times

Advertisements

I personally admire people like Ralph Nadar - worth millions, yet wears rumpled cheap suits and drives an American made econo-car...which is, no doubt, much safer than the Corvair... In fact, now that I think about it, scratch the "worth millions" part as having ANYTHING to do with my admiration for him.

He simply speaks his mind and tells it like it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
I watched one episode and the only two things I got out of the show was how mean some of the wives are and how dumb their kids can be.

Two of the wives went out to eat and right after the busboy brought them water and left, they proceeded to make fun of him by commenting he must be from a third world country.

Then two of the kids, both girls over 18, were being driven to the John Wayne airport for a trip. One commented on the name of the airport and was wondering how it got it's name and neither had any idea who John Wayne was and they just figured it was someone who built the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I apologize if a poll similar to this one has already been posted on this sub-forum in the past, but I couldn't find one. I must say that I was watching Bravo yesterday and saw a show called "The Real Housewives of Orange County," which is apparently a drama series about the social lives of middle-aged women in Orange County. Is there any merit at all to this show, or is this completely slanted against the way middle-aged women in Orange County behave? I must say that the one character has the mouth of a sailor, and another looks like she's had one too many nose jobs!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 PM

27 posts, read 101,184 times
Alot of people in the O.C. are fakeing it. But yet there are alot of people that are home all day everyday that are driving high dollar cars in high dollar neighborhoods, I mean what do they do for money? And yes alot of their kids are driving around in expensive cars with all their stupid freinds saying "like it was soooo funny" totally clueless with their heads completely up their arses! It is annoying sometimes listening to all these lame ubermoms driving around in Escalades trying to act 19. My vent is over, thanks for listening.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:02 AM

112 posts, read 406,240 times
In Orange County, people value beauty and money. If we were all rich and good-looking, we wouldn't value it as much. OC is half White. Out of those, maybe half are rich. So there are plenty of people in the OC who are like these housewives. But the majority isn't. But the show does make an important point though - OC is all about family life. Whereas LA is very singles-oriented - clubs, bars, restaurants, etc., OC is all about nice homes, expensive cars, and family.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I watched one episode and the only two things I got out of the show was how mean some of the wives are and how dumb their kids can be.

Two of the wives went out to eat and right after the busboy brought them water and left, they proceeded to make fun of him by commenting he must be from a third world country.

Then two of the kids, both girls over 18, were being driven to the John Wayne airport for a trip. One commented on the name of the airport and was wondering how it got it's name and neither had any idea who John Wayne was and they just figured it was someone who built the airport.

Sounds about right. I worked across the street from John Wayne for years, and for a while this girl worked there who was plain stupid. She didn't know that when she was looking at the beach, the water was actually the Pacific Ocean. She just thought it was "the beach". And then I overheard her tell someone on the phone that we were located "In L.A. County, right across the street from the Orange County airport". Another girl I worked with had no clue that there was a subway in L.A. The list goes on...

Old 12-14-2007, 11:19 AM

89 posts, read 100,145 times
All reality TV shows like that are fake.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Scranton it's not a drama, it's a comedy!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:17 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,464 times
Any suburban area in the U.S. is going to have a certain percentage of its population who is like what that t.v. show presents.

I don't live in Orange County (visit several times a year there though), but rather, in suburban Detroit in a so-called wealthy area. There's a lot of 'fake wealthy' here who maxed out on their mortgages basing them on their overtime hours at some automotive factory...so, now we have foreclosures since overtime has been done away with mostly in the domestic automotive makers' plants.

Then, you have people here who are maxed out on their credit cards buying the designer clothes, vacations, electronics, etc. Also, there are a lot of people who get plastic surgery around here too. I can't even count how many Hummers, Lexus, BMW's, etc. I see in a day.

All of the fake wealthy doesn't impress me...*yawns.* I'm more impressed with people who think for themselves and choose to live their lives authentically with integrity and a consciousness of serving others and the planet.

Nothing wrong with being wealthy and having abundance, but it's not just about $ or the display of $. What about health? What about positive mental attitude? Or, how about satisfaction in life from following your purpose versus acquiring material things? What about being able to take classes and/or travel? What about helping others who are less fortunate and making the world a better place? What about spiritual growth (not religious, by the way)?

It's sad that t.v. emphasizes these things. I have a low tolerance for fake, plastic, status-conscious and well, dumb people. I know this sounds really harsh and judgmental, but with so many books out there available today, people need to get a clue and wake up to the other areas of life besides financial wealth.

Gosh, when I do move, I'll feel like a genius Just kidding!!!

Okay, that was my soapboxing for the day!

Hugs,
AB

Old 12-15-2007, 11:34 PM

59 posts, read 295,984 times
Even if it is a so called "reality" show, you don't seriously think they just pull the tape right out of the camera and broadcast it do you? Countless hours are spent editing the recorded footage in order to deliver a product that the producers thinks the consuming public wants to see. Where's the reality in that? Its only called reality because its not complete fiction.

My Girlfriend (who has a degree in English and is a very highly-paid professional) spends all kinds of time watching junk like this, The Hills and I Love New York...I sometimes wonder why I date someone like that! Thankfully, she has many redeeming qualities, but this just baffles me...this kind of TV is absolute junk. If you've never seen the movie Idiocracy, go rent it to see where we're heading!

Old 12-16-2007, 07:45 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
If you've never seen the movie Idiocracy, go rent it to see where we're heading!
We're already there pal.

Americans are NOT stupid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County