Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 AM

162 posts, read 231,661 times

Advertisements

Just found this apartment in Garden Grove that looks really good, the schools are great, the area is very safe (I checked on the crime map).

The price is right, only $1475 a month.

Palmwood Garden Apartments - Bailey Avenue | Garden Grove, CA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

http://www.spotcrime.com/#-11932%20B...n%20Grove%20CA

So...there's got to be some kind of catch here. Anybody know anything about this area? It's roughly located at Valley View St./Chapman Av in Garden Grove.

I tried reading reviews but there weren't any, only one from 7 years ago and the person loved it. So I'm just fishing for info here.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 11:55 AM

97 posts, read 162,629 times
Can't speak for the apartment itself but the area is in West GG near Eastgate park. Typically West GG is considered the nicer part of GG as compared to the east side. I spent a lot of time around West GG and had lots of friends living near Eastgate. It's a pretty good community overall.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikity View Post
Can't speak for the apartment itself but the area is in West GG near Eastgate park. Typically West GG is considered the nicer part of GG as compared to the east side. I spent a lot of time around West GG and had lots of friends living near Eastgate. It's a pretty good community overall.
Good to know. I'm waiting to hear back right now to see if we got approved for this place in Irvine and want to have at least a halfway decent plan B.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:47 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Just found this apartment in Garden Grove that looks really good, the schools are great, the area is very safe (I checked on the crime map).

The price is right, only $1475 a month.

Palmwood Garden Apartments - Bailey Avenue | Garden Grove, CA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

http://www.spotcrime.com/#-11932%20B...n%20Grove%20CA

So...there's got to be some kind of catch here. Anybody know anything about this area? It's roughly located at Valley View St./Chapman Av in Garden Grove.

I tried reading reviews but there weren't any, only one from 7 years ago and the person loved it. So I'm just fishing for info here.

Thanks!
Thats a decent area, I dont live far from it. Problem is they only have 28 units and they have probably been full for years. The sign in Google maps says no vacancy. Looks like there are other apartments in the area though. There are lots of these kinds of apartments around and they are usually old, insect problems and not very well kept. You have to take whats in your price range though.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Thats a decent area, I dont live far from it. Problem is they only have 28 units and they have probably been full for years. The sign in Google maps says no vacancy. Looks like there are other apartments in the area though. There are lots of these kinds of apartments around and they are usually old, insect problems and not very well kept. You have to take whats in your price range though.
Yea I hear that. I still haven't heard anything back from the other place and it's been a couple of hours now so I'll just wait until I hear how it turns out.

Just to add another kink in the thread, we were also looking at Avalon Mission Viejo...any info on that area? It looks nice because it's in a pretty secluded place, kind of far back from the road in kind of a wooded area, so I guess that would be good safety wise.

EDIT: Also mbell75, since you live in the area if you're going to be in the neighborhood at all do you think you could swing by and tell me if that no vacancy sign is still there?

Last edited by RG1981; 07-26-2014 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Yea I hear that. I still haven't heard anything back from the other place and it's been a couple of hours now so I'll just wait until I hear how it turns out.

Just to add another kink in the thread, we were also looking at Avalon Mission Viejo...any info on that area? It looks nice because it's in a pretty secluded place, kind of far back from the road in kind of a wooded area, so I guess that would be good safety wise.
Mission Viejo is plenty safe but again, look at the reviews for the apartments, not good. I ignored bad reviews on an apartment complex in Orange I lived in awhile back and wish I hadn't. I blew it off to angry people who got evicted but most of what they described I encountered first hand. Cars vandalized frequently, noisy people at pools, trashy people vomiting and leaving bottles and cans everywhere, tenants parking their 2nd cars in guest parking spots so my friends never could find parking, all the patios and balconies facing each other meaning if you had your windows open, you could hear about 16 other apartments perfectly, especially if people were on their balcony, fire alarm going off at 2am for over an hour...it was a nightmare. This was in a rather upscale and kinda expensive place too. However, some things don't bother people as much as it does others.

Avalon Mission Viejo - Mission Viejo, CA | Yelp

Old 07-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Mission Viejo is plenty safe but again, look at the reviews for the apartments, not good. I ignored bad reviews on an apartment complex in Orange I lived in awhile back and wish I hadn't. I blew it off to angry people who got evicted but most of what they described I encountered first hand. Cars vandalized frequently, noisy people at pools, trashy people vomiting and leaving bottles and cans everywhere, tenants parking their 2nd cars in guest parking spots so my friends never could find parking, all the patios and balconies facing each other meaning if you had your windows open, you could hear about 16 other apartments perfectly, especially if people were on their balcony, fire alarm going off at 2am for over an hour...it was a nightmare. This was in a rather upscale and kinda expensive place too. However, some things don't bother people as much as it does others.

Avalon Mission Viejo - Mission Viejo, CA | Yelp
Honestly, I'm used to living in loud places with jerk neighbors who have no respect, that's fine. The only thing that bothers me is if I'm going to have some crack head trying to pry open my doors or something. Also, my son is really allergic to ant bites so anyplace with ants is out. I can live with mice and roaches though, par for the course anywhere in Boston, even the ritzy joints. You should see some of the roaches in Georgia too...you can almost put leashes on them and use them as pets.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:24 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
i live in brooklyn, ny. i do not have the roach and rat issue in my building which was built in 1928. it all depends on what your landlord is like. i do pay 1405 per month for a small 1 bedroom for rent. i have lived in cheaper buildings where mice and roaches were common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County