Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 PM

115 posts, read 191,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz88 View Post
I'm actually going to look up those areas for 1 bedroom apartments. However being close to the beach which I would like....i'm thinking the cost would be quite expensive.
A lot in your age group take on roommates to defray some of that cost. I certainly did at that age to enjoy life within walking distance to the sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:41 AM

92 posts, read 164,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Sorry, I used the colloquial, not literal, meaning of "bedroom community." AV feels like a suburb/exurb that people with families often prefer in order to get away from busier, noisier work centers. Although as other posters have pointed out, AV actually has several (reasonably isolated) business areas too and it has more going on there than many other bedroom communities.

There are plenty of condos and apartments there. It's just a matter of whether a quiet, non-oceanfront community is your kind of place or not.

If beachside cost is an issue, then out of the cities mentioned I would guess that your best bet is Huntington Beach. You could consider going a little inland to Costa Mesa, which borders Huntington Beach and Newport Beach.
Ok cool. Thanks I'm going to spend some time looking up apartments in the areas mentioned. I prefer to live in a quiet area and go to the nightlife and fun when i'm ready to go out.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:20 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Cool Thanks for the pointers. I will look into those areas as well.... However I have heard living the beach can be quite expensive. Its a pretty big just in living cost coming from Baltimore, MD to California.
its all relative what expensive is. There is a 700sf studio that just opened up in my neighborhood: $850 (one mile to the beach, 1/2 mile to the harbor (Huntington Beach) One bedrooms are going for about $1100-$1300.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:50 AM

53 posts, read 75,528 times
Quote:
Hey I have been planning my move to California since my visit there earlier this year. Looked up a few areas but I now have since started with a new employer. They have a few locations in California but I came across Aliso Viejo, CA. Wanted to get some insight into the area, how is it to live, and etc. I'm a 26yr old single male.
I was in a similar predicament (at a similar age as you are) and checked out areas such as Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa to the north, and Aliso Viejo to the south. Despite being more "family oriented" and having less of the action than HB and CM, I eventually chose Laguna Niguel. It neighbors Aliso Viejo, is a bit closer to the ocean (and father from freeway).

In most safe OC areas you should be able to find a 1 bedroom for less than $1500. Roommates might be needed to defray costs.

In any case, just choose whatever suits you best. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:31 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,208 times
Having lived in Aliso Viejo for 5 years now, I would also be aware that the area is changing demographically VERY quickly due to all the apartment communities. If I were going to buy a home it would not be in AV right now because of this change.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Did someone see a big bad terrible Mexican at Trader Joe's in AV or something? Sheesh.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:52 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Did someone see a big bad terrible Mexican at Trader Joe's in AV or something? Sheesh.

Actually, I suspect that someone is a lonely and mean-spirited old guy of meager means who strolls the net, but has never stepped foot in CA, much less AV.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,208 times
actually if you check and ask property managers here in Aliso.. you will know that they are starting to (1) accept section 8, (2) allowing 8 people to move all into a 1 bedroom apt to keep the units occupied.

As a result you have people who normally wouldnt be allowed to rent or couldnt afford to rent filling apartment communities in Aliso. This info comes DIRECTLY from apartment community managers who quit various communities in the area because of the change in policy.

AV is turning into a ghetto... and if you dont believe me just walk into any apartment community or go hang out by ralphs off Aliso creek rd.

and no... they arent of Hispanic decent.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:34 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
What a special and utterly unique combination, lying and race-baiting from someone who lives in flyover country.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 689 times
I'm a senior and I wish it had more mass transit. Very hard to get anywhere if you want to reduce your driving or use transit. It is the one city that doesn't seem to have many senior services. There is a plan to put in a community building with senior center as a share of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County