Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 AM

12 posts, read 22,138 times

Advertisements

Good morning. I'd love some advice about moving to OC from Chicago. I've intended to move for the past 13 years but as a single Mom, it proved to be difficult. Now with my youngest being 16, I can do it. Plan is to move once she finishes school and let her attend school there senior year.

I have no resources out there other than a very wonderful friend in Huntington Beach who has offered me a room to rent for a short period of time until I get myself on my feet.

No money to speak of. No job. No car. No idea what kind of resources are available to me and my daughter.

If there's anyone out there who has done this themselves or someone who has info on resources or just words of encouragement, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 AM

338 posts, read 556,214 times
How you going to rent that room if you don't have money? Do you have a degree or work history? Do you plan on getting a job? Please don't tell me you're trying to live off the government.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:05 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
If you are planning on living on welfare forget it, once your daughter is 18 you won't get a dime the only adults who get cash aid are those with kids under 18. You could get food stamps and medical care but that's it. I am not sure how one 'gets on their feet' when they don't have any resources or a job. If your wonderful friend decides she wants her sofa back you and your daughter will be on the street and the only housing resources are homeless shelters where you may, or may not be able to get an occasional cot for the night.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
First off, what's your line of work? Are you planning on looking for a job when you first get here?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
I have NO desire to support you or anybody else. If you can't support yourself, please don't move here.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Even if you have a place to stay, how do you get yourself on your feet with no money or no car? Do you realize how stupid this sounds? This is the example you want to lead for your children?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:02 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times
How does your daughter feel about moving to a new school across the country for her senior year? As a teenager, I would have been devastated by this suggestion. That's a tough situation to try to make friends and culturally the high school will likely be very different from where she is now. Also, as others have alluded to...moving to one of the most expensive areas in the entire United States seems pretty daunting with no job and minimal connections.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
How does your daughter feel about moving to a new school across the country for her senior year? As a teenager, I would have been devastated by this suggestion. That's a tough situation to try to make friends and culturally the high school will likely be very different from where she is now. Also, as others have alluded to...moving to one of the most expensive areas in the entire United States seems pretty daunting with no job and minimal connections.
Well, they have a place to stay and eventually assume rent. If they have a decent skill they can probably find a job. They probably have a school close by and the mother can bus or bike it until she gets a car. Yes, hard but not impossible as long as she has a good skill or profession. Which is why I asked. If not then it would all be impossible imo.

It is bad timing for the daughter if she has friends where she is now. I don't understand that one. She should stay another year and use than time to work extra and save. That would make more sense. But, so far having sense is whats in question I believe.

Hopefully the daughter is a hard worker and can pull of a scholarship and get herself into a good college and outta there.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:01 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Troll post. No one moves to OC with no money, car etc.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:37 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Troll post. No one moves to OC with no money, car etc.
lol! When my partner and I moved to OC in '96, he had taken a job transfer/promotion with his company. We had cars, a little money, and I found a job through a temp agency within a couple weeks of arriving. But it was a different time. Back then, we found a nice apartment for $700 a month and $12 an hour was entry level wages. It was very easy for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County