Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:56 PM

37 posts, read 67,046 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Irvine, has been here for a couple of years. Our kids are at a private school (for religion reasons) but we decided to take them out for next year, it doesn't really seem to be worth it at this point. We're trying to decide between public elementary school in Irvine vs. another OC city (like Laguna beach, Newport beach, Laguna hills, MV, AV, etc). I work from home, only have to commute once a week for meetings at various locations in the inland area and OC, so location doesn't affect my commute, as long as it's within OC. Right now we're renting. our total monthly expenses currently for rent and private school is a little over $6000.

We are aware that Irvine probably has the best public schools, but also seems to be too score-oriented and might be too academically intense for our liking. our kids are doing really well academically buy we would rather have a more relaxed school environment with well-rounded approach to have a more balanced lifestyle for the kids, obviously still need a great school. that's why we looked at places like laguna and newport. Schools there seem to have good reviews, smaller in size. We also would love to be closer to the beach. on the other hand housing would be more expensive, will have to settle for a smaller place. does it make sense to use the current budget ($5000-6000) to rent a place in Laguna beach rather than staying in Irvine, send them to public school here and just save that different (would be ~ $2000, or more in monthly expenses difference based on current rentals in both areas). if we go by the typical recommended 30% housing to income ratio we can definitely afford to rent a $6000 place if needed but I want to make sure it makes sense and that it's worth it.

What are your thoughts regarding Irvine vs. other OC cities (especially Laguna beach, Newport beach) for public schools vs. lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,294,244 times
how about if you just enroll your kid in Irvine and just let your kids be themselves? let the high achievers compete for the honors. not everybody can be top 1 anyway. theres a reason why children play and try to beat each other.

there is also a downside to "Birds of the same feather flock together" principle. they might not challenge themselves and remain slackers

Old 05-26-2015, 01:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,789,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
how about if you just enroll your kid in Irvine and just let your kids be themselves? let the high achievers compete for the honors. not everybody can be top 1 anyway. theres a reason why children play and try to beat each other.

there is also a downside to "Birds of the same feather flock together" principle. they might not challenge themselves and remain slackers
My friend went to Irvine public schools and while she is very smart, as much as she tried, she just wasn't good enough, she said. Some or most of the kids get so much extra tutoring and are pushed by their parents so much that she never stood out. She refused to let her son attend Irvine public school.

It's a big boost when a young child gets recognized for achievement. It motivates them, helps correct any behavioral issues and just makes them feel good about themselves.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:36 PM

do smart people need those extra tutoring?

the lessons will be the same so they get the same coverage of test or whatever

Old 05-26-2015, 01:44 PM

37 posts, read 67,046 times
That's the thing. my kids are actually doing well academically, they always did. but everybody is telling us that Irvine is just way more competitive and parents push their kids too hard. I personally don't push my kids and let them be themselves. I care more about them having a balanced happy childhood. that's why I'm concerned about putting them in the Irvine school system where the culture is so focused on academics. so I want them to get a great education but "great education" for us means more than being obsessed with test scores.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM

i know a parent who send his children to Irvine and especially happy with the grades of their children. during the consultation, the teacher was surprised why they don't have comments or didn't ask what more they could do to improve their grades. ( their children are just behind by points)

they just told the teacher that they have no problem with their kids' grades and they are happy with it

Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,078,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledo1611 View Post
That's the thing. my kids are actually doing well academically, they always did. but everybody is telling us that Irvine is just way more competitive and parents push their kids too
hard. I personally don't push my kids and let them be themselves. I care more about them having a balanced happy childhood. that's why I'm concerned about putting them in the Irvine school system where the culture is so focused on academics. so I want them to get a great education but "great education" for us means more than being obsessed with test scores.
So if you're not worried about scores, then why worry at all? Why care about what other students get?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:57 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,423,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledo1611 View Post
We currently live in Irvine, has been here for a couple of years. Our kids are at a private school (for religion reasons) but we decided to take them out for next year, it doesn't really seem to be worth it at this point. We're trying to decide between public elementary school in Irvine vs. another OC city (like Laguna beach, Newport beach, Laguna hills, MV, AV, etc). I work from home, only have to commute once a week for meetings at various locations in the inland area and OC, so location doesn't affect my commute, as long as it's within OC. Right now we're renting. our total monthly expenses currently for rent and private school is a little over $6000.

We are aware that Irvine probably has the best public schools, but also seems to be too score-oriented and might be too academically intense for our liking. our kids are doing really well academically buy we would rather have a more relaxed school environment with well-rounded approach to have a more balanced lifestyle for the kids, obviously still need a great school. that's why we looked at places like laguna and newport. Schools there seem to have good reviews, smaller in size. We also would love to be closer to the beach. on the other hand housing would be more expensive, will have to settle for a smaller place. does it make sense to use the current budget ($5000-6000) to rent a place in Laguna beach rather than staying in Irvine, send them to public school here and just save that different (would be ~ $2000, or more in monthly expenses difference based on current rentals in both areas). if we go by the typical recommended 30% housing to income ratio we can definitely afford to rent a $6000 place if needed but I want to make sure it makes sense and that it's worth it.

What are your thoughts regarding Irvine vs. other OC cities (especially Laguna beach, Newport beach) for public schools vs. lifestyle?
Irvine public school systems are VERY competitive. If you want to send your kids to great public schools that aren't as score oriented, Dana Point seems like a nice area. Has a small Dutch town feel to it. Less congested than Laguna Beach, and the views are so calming and peaceful.

Other than Dana, you may want to consider Ladera Ranch. Their school system's ranked pretty high.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:02 AM

162 posts, read 232,106 times
Graduating top 20% of your class in Irvine is equivalent to top 5% of the class anyplace else in the country. Your kids will be fine in the schools here.

Don't do them the disservice of lowering their education to a lower common denominator. Do you have any idea how many parents in this country (in this WORLD) would die to have the opportunity to put their kids into this school district? And you want out?

Last edited by RG1981; 05-27-2015 at 01:11 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 03:55 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,078,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Graduating top 20% of your class in Irvine is equivalent to top 5% of the class anyplace else in the country. Your kids will be fine in the schools here.

Don't do them the disservice of lowering their education to a lower common denominator. Do you have any idea how many parents in this country (in this WORLD) would die to have the opportunity to put their kids into this school district? And you want out?
Problem is, they were hand fed their entire life and had it easy in the Private Schools where you basically pay for good grades. I know because I use to attend a Baptist Private school. It was so easy to get straight A's.

Transferred to a HS my Junior year and that was a wake up call. Took some time for me to adjust. Good thing I had friends that were already attending the same Public School and had a group friends to hang out with and no be a loaner. Because w/o them, I would have felt so alone. And you know how hard it is to make friends ur JR year..... Especially coming from a Private School where classes are small and you basically know everyone including the parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County