Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 07:30 PM

34 posts, read 54,851 times

Advertisements

My stats:
Wife and three month old baby
Going from 95k in Tucson AZ to $120k in Costa Mesa.
Need a place with a yard for our dog.
Would like to pay no more than 2500 a month and obviously live in a safe area
I have family in Pasadena so being 45 minutes moderate traffic would be great, but definitely no more than 35 minutes to work.

Where do I look? Is this realistic? Do I need to be more on the mission Vieja side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:42 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,538,346 times
Hey there. If you are working in Costa Mesa and would like to stay relatively close to your work, you might want to consider looking in Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach and Fountain Valley. The Mission Viejo and Lake Forest area is in south OC and you would be at the top of your budget. Most apartments in those areas rent for more than $2,000. You would also be fighting traffic on the 5 and 405 every day which is no fun.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Try here: orange co apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM

371 posts, read 816,156 times
If you are working in Costa Mesa and are looking for a 2 bedroom with a yard for under $2500, I would suggest you consider staying in the area. No reason to go to south county and commute, when there are options nearby.

2327 Margaret Dr APT A, Newport Beach, CA 92663 is For Rent | Zillow

It's $2600, but it is detached back house, large yard, ride your bike to the beach, lots of shopping/restaurants nearby, nice family neighborhood -- and its in Newport Beach (right on border of Costa Mesa). This might not be the perfect place for you, but it shows there are good looking options nearby.

Another option, a little outside your range, but shows you are in ballpark for a place in Eastside Costa Mesa. Updated 2 bedroom place, large fenced in yard, detached in nice family neighborhood.

389 E 21st St APT B, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 is For Rent | Zillow

Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM

49 posts, read 68,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowneline View Post
If you are working in Costa Mesa and are looking for a 2 bedroom with a yard for under $2500, I would suggest you consider staying in the area. No reason to go to south county and commute, when there are options nearby.

2327 Margaret Dr APT A, Newport Beach, CA 92663 is For Rent | Zillow

It's $2600, but it is detached back house, large yard, ride your bike to the beach, lots of shopping/restaurants nearby, nice family neighborhood -- and its in Newport Beach (right on border of Costa Mesa). This might not be the perfect place for you, but it shows there are good looking options nearby.

Another option, a little outside your range, but shows you are in ballpark for a place in Eastside Costa Mesa. Updated 2 bedroom place, large fenced in yard, detached in nice family neighborhood.

389 E 21st St APT B, Costa Mesa, CA 92627 is For Rent | Zillow
Agree with Bowneline...stay in CM if you can. Not much to do in South OC. Most of the neighborhoods are dead after 8pm. Think about it, you have one of the largets retirement communities in South County. Just check out Laguna Hills Mall, lol. Further south, you've got...Ummm... Mission Viejo mall, which is packed with young families if thats your thing.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Regardless of where you hang your hat in north OC, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven, coming from Tucson. That said, I agree with the previous posters--stay to in Costa Mesa if you can.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:38 PM

36 posts, read 78,218 times
Costa Mesa is a very nice place to live. If you're looking for more of a suburb type enviroment than check out the suburb of Costa Mesa called Mesa Verde. It is mostly home owners with few rentals or apartments and is very close to the 405. College park is similar but closer to Orange Coast College and the Fairgrounds. Both are mostly track style single story ranch homes built in the mid 60's. Now if you are looking to live some where closer to where the action is than check out East Side Costa Mesa near Triangle Square. Lots more stuff to do on this end of town but beware that 55 freeway basically dumps off in this area which creates a lot off traffic. I also find the neghborhoods on this end of town a little dull in that most of the streets are N/S E/W grid pattern. Not bad, just different. Try and stay away from the Freedom homes West of Harbor.

Good Luck.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:10 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Mesa Verde is very nice. I grew up there as a kid. I would also focus on South Coast Metro, and East Side. Stay away from the West Side/crime side west of Placentia until you get real close to HB.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:07 PM

162 posts, read 231,661 times
Can't go wrong in Irvine. It's an easy trot to Costa Mesa and it's probably one of the best places to live in the western hemisphere. Consistently rated the safest city in the country and unparalleled public schools, sounds like it's a great fit except for the part about wanting a big yard for your dog, but you're not going to find that anywhere in Orange County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County