Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 AM

92 posts, read 134,288 times

Advertisements

Elevation is very important along with distance from the ocean for summer high temperatures. The inversion can be right at sea level, it can be a 1000 ft. it can be 5000 ft. One other fascinating feature is night drainage. In hilly south OC you'll have remarkably different low temperatures depending on whether you're on a hilltop or the bottom of a canyon. Low spots tend to get pools of cooler air. I can find spots in my neighborhood which at times are 5 degrees cooler than other spots during night. One place which has good night drainage is San Juan Capistrano near San Juan creek. Some cool air drainage from the mountains and can give some chilly winter lows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 10:39 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
The pool is heated, the flag is waving out front, the grill is ready for action, the blender is on high alert, the bar and fridge are ready to serve, but there is one problem...it is cold. There is no sign of the sun.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
The pool is heated, the flag is waving out front, the grill is ready for action, the blender is on high alert, the bar and fridge are ready to serve, but there is one problem...it is cold. There is no sign of the sun.
We got sun at the Y and there will be sun in CM........let me order you some sun up quick.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM

282 posts, read 447,242 times
Every day is a great day and every day is summer here is SoCal. What's your question?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:55 PM

It feels like we are in early Spring. 2015 might be a cold summer.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:24 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,571 times
Ugh@ all the fog and highs in the 60s at the beaches we've been seeing; this is totally unexpected because we are now in a strong El Niño; and El Niño summers are usually warmer than average at the coast with higher SST and less marine layer. At least here in Mission Viejo, we've been in the upper 70s/low 80s but still cool at night. We had some much warmer days this year in winter and early spring than much of June. I really thought this summer would be more like last summer with the warm SST and balmy nights; at least we got some warm rain (with thunderstorms!) at the end of June!

I'm hoping that this El Niño's warmer waters make their way up here for the latter half of summer so we can end this "no sky July" and see a real summer in August instead of Fogust at the beach. I also hope to see more monsoons make their way out here as well and then we get some real rain this winter (not drizzly crap) but real storms followed by bright sunny days.

If the rest of July and August turn out to be like 2010, I won't get my usual number of beach days in (I usually head to Laguna Beach when I know it's going to be warm there).

Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
I don't usually complain about our weather, especially when it is cool. But we just returned from Maui, where it was bright and sunny, air temp 85-90 degrees, water temp 80 degrees, and I have to say that was just about perfect for a beach vacation. Today I took my teenager down to Fashion Island. It was 70 at the most, breezy, and completely overcast. Many folks were wearing jeans and light sweaters. As a resident, I do actually like this cool weather even in July--I know it will get hot soon enough--but if I were a tourist here for a limited time and counting on beach days, I would be cranky.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:15 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't usually complain about our weather, especially when it is cool. But we just returned from Maui, where it was bright and sunny, air temp 85-90 degrees, water temp 80 degrees, and I have to say that was just about perfect for a beach vacation. Today I took my teenager down to Fashion Island. It was 70 at the most, breezy, and completely overcast. Many folks were wearing jeans and light sweaters. As a resident, I do actually like this cool weather even in July--I know it will get hot soon enough--but if I were a tourist here for a limited time and counting on beach days, I would be cranky.
I'm loving this weather!

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I'm loving this weather!
I like it too except for those times when I want to swim.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:58 PM

121 posts, read 183,764 times
+1 for loving this weather (except for beach stuff obviously). I know some crazy heat wave will be coming soon enough and I'll be begging for it to cool down. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the last week of this.

The 4th was pretty mild party-wise in San Clemente, was wondering if this weather had something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County