Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM

371 posts, read 815,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Re Malibu: Try and hang out in back of Oprah's house.

There are a couple places in OC which make it nearly impossible to get to the beach due to their being gated. Locals here know what I am talking about.
Emerald Bay, Irvine Cove, Three Arch Bay (all in Laguna Beach) are the biggest examples. They were all grandfathered in, because they were gated prior to the CCC.

While portions of the sand, and the ocean, are public, you can't get there because there is no direct access from PCH. As a kid, we used to take my friend's Boston Whaler boat on Balboa Island, and anchor just off Emerald Bay, and then swim in to hang out on the sand. That is about the only way to hang out there, unless you live there or know someone who does.

If you are adventurous, you can hike along the beaches and tide-pools to get to Three Arch Bay from Table Rock beach in Laguna. The residents always seemed wary of the groups of young men entering the beach from the tidepools to the north, knowing we did not live there, but no one tried to kick us out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:32 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,090 times
Californians are blessed to have the free beaches. I was born and raised in CT. The beach was open only for residents. Even then, beaches were not free in our town, not even for residents. Even to walk in, one needed to pay for a pass that was good for the season. State beaches charged steep admission, too. Lucky you in CA!! I always admired this access to beaches that CA has for its residents.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:50 PM

282 posts, read 447,050 times
The beaches are free... if you want to walk miles to get to it. Otherwise you have to pay for parking and 1 hour of gas to FIND parking. And then you have to deal with tons and tons of loser people and illegals and foreigners. Beaches are no fun here. At least, not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
Californians are blessed to have the free beaches. I was born and raised in CT. The beach was open only for residents. Even then, beaches were not free in our town, not even for residents. Even to walk in, one needed to pay for a pass that was good for the season. State beaches charged steep admission, too. Lucky you in CA!! I always admired this access to beaches that CA has for its residents.
When you factor in parking costs, and gas costs to find parking, then it is probably far more expensive and far less accessible in here CA than there in CT. You got off easy.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:12 PM

14,301 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
The beaches are free... if you want to walk miles to get to it. Otherwise you have to pay for parking and 1 hour of gas to FIND parking. And then you have to deal with tons and tons of loser people and illegals and foreigners. Beaches are no fun here. At least, not anymore.
For the past 8 years, I have spent almost every Friday afternoon in the summer in Corona del Mar. I have never, not once, not been able to immediately find a free parking spot right on Ocean Blvd. (No, I don't go on the weekend or on holidays). The beach is then a 5-minute walk down the hill. As for whether the people on the beach there are losers, illegals, and/or foreigners--I have no idea. They mind their business and I mind mine, and we all enjoy the beach.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:36 PM

282 posts, read 447,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
For the past 8 years, I have spent almost every Friday afternoon in the summer in Corona del Mar. I have never, not once, not been able to immediately find a free parking spot right on Ocean Blvd. (No, I don't go on the weekend or on holidays). The beach is then a 5-minute walk down the hill. As for whether the people on the beach there are losers, illegals, and/or foreigners--I have no idea. They mind their business and I mind mine, and we all enjoy the beach.
My point wasn't who but, how many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County