Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:37 PM

4 posts, read 23,070 times

Advertisements

America is the best country in the world. California is the best state in the USA. Orange county is the best county in California. The beach areas of Orange county are obviously the best places you can find anywhere. Therefore, if you live close to the beach in Orange county you live in the best place in the world.

1. When you live here for a long time you feel the weather change. The weather in Orange county is NOT boring but beautiful. If you don't like anything else the least you can complain about is the California weather.

2. The area is economically diversified and businesses are prospering. If you cannot find a good job here that means you must go back to school to get additional qualifications. You cannot get lazy in Orange county and be successful.

3. It is important to look good in Orange county. That means you have to look after yourself. Orange county will not allow anyone to neglect their body and demand a high pay. It is not going to happen.

4. The area is culturally diversified. There many Asians, Middle Easterners, Mexicans and also the blond white people. Sorry if it bothers anyone. We have incredible Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese cuisine - all kinds of restaurants.

5. As for shopping, very few places on this planet can match the quality and variety of Orange county. The South Coast Plaza and the Fashion Island are the best of the very best anywhere.

6. The Performing Arts Center, the Segerstrom Concert Hall, the Barclay Theatre are again the best of the very best. In fact, the combination of the Orange County Performing Arts Center together with the Segerstrom Hall at least from the architectural point of view is more impressive than the Lincoln Center in New York.

7. Los Angeles with all its diversity is only 1.5 hours away. San Diego is also close by. Las Vegas is 3.5 - 4 hours away. The Palm Springs area with a totally different climate and atmosphere is only 2 hours away.

8. The housing is expensive because people understand the value and they want to live in Orange county. Obviously, it creates a high demand. Those who expect a huge housing price reduction/collapse are living in a fantasy. There are many people from all over the world ready to move here.

9. The traffic is not good but it is not any different from the big metropolitan centers in other parts of the country.

10. Considering that life is not a dress rehearsal but a one-time shot it makes good sense to live in a place that offers the best weather, services, employment/business opportunities, beautiful beaches, etc. etc.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:01 PM

32 posts, read 134,890 times
Default would love to live in Orange County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post
America is the best country in the world. California is the best state in the USA. Orange county is the best county in California. The beach areas of Orange county are obviously the best places you can find anywhere. Therefore, if you live close to the beach in Orange county you live in the best place in the world.

1. When you live here for a long time you feel the weather change. The weather in Orange county is NOT boring but beautiful. If you don't like anything else the least you can complain about is the California weather.

2. The area is economically diversified and businesses are prospering. If you cannot find a good job here that means you must go back to school to get additional qualifications. You cannot get lazy in Orange county and be successful.

3. It is important to look good in Orange county. That means you have to look after yourself. Orange county will not allow anyone to neglect their body and demand a high pay. It is not going to happen.

4. The area is culturally diversified. There many Asians, Middle Easterners, Mexicans and also the blond white people. Sorry if it bothers anyone. We have incredible Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese cuisine - all kinds of restaurants.

5. As for shopping, very few places on this planet can match the quality and variety of Orange county. The South Coast Plaza and the Fashion Island are the best of the very best anywhere.

6. The Performing Arts Center, the Segerstrom Concert Hall, the Barclay Theatre are again the best of the very best. In fact, the combination of the Orange County Performing Arts Center together with the Segerstrom Hall at least from the architectural point of view is more impressive than the Lincoln Center in New York.

7. Los Angeles with all its diversity is only 1.5 hours away. San Diego is also close by. Las Vegas is 3.5 - 4 hours away. The Palm Springs area with a totally different climate and atmosphere is only 2 hours away.

8. The housing is expensive because people understand the value and they want to live in Orange county. Obviously, it creates a high demand. Those who expect a huge housing price reduction/collapse are living in a fantasy. There are many people from all over the world ready to move here.

9. The traffic is not good but it is not any different from the big metropolitan centers in other parts of the country.

10. Considering that life is not a dress rehearsal but a one-time shot it makes good sense to live in a place that offers the best weather, services, employment/business opportunities, beautiful beaches, etc. etc.
Thank You for this. I have been reading alot of bad stuff here about California and it's nice to hear someone say something good about it. I grew up in So. Cal and loved it of course, but had to move away after marriage. I have ended up in Phoenix and divorced so I can now go wherever I want. I hate it in Arizona and would love to come back. Just not sure where to start since I'm not rich. Do you have any ideas? I love Orange co. but would need a city w/lower taxes etc.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 13,373 times
Default Aussie moving to OC

G'day,

I was considering moving from Melbourne, Australia to OC as i believe the surf and lifestyle would be pretty relaxed. I was concerned with the cost of living and the crowds on the surf breaks. What should i expect to pay in rent per month for a share house near the beach?

Any advice on whether a bloke from Aussie would be able to enjoy a two year working contract in OC.

Take it easy

Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM

144 posts, read 935,531 times
The OC is too crowded, even by Southern California standards. Try northern coastal san diego county. There's people but it's no where near as bad as L.A. The schools are great (well, if you're not in Vista/Econdido/Oceanside/San Marcos) and, IMO, it's more beautiful than the OC. The beaches are nice too and it's not hard to find a beach that isn't very crowded even in the summer. This is because N. San Diego county is a series of mesas and lagoons with 100 ft. buffs on the coast and your flat areas where the lagoons are. If you know where to look (bluff areas), you can find a non-crowded beach. Case in point: Grandview or Beacons in Leucadia only has about 15-20 or so people in the summer.

Chicago is too cold....move to So Cal.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:46 PM

144 posts, read 935,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaTerra66 View Post
After having spent almost 30 years living there, I retired nine months ago and moved to New Mexico. I came to hate Orange County over the years I lived there. Too many people, too much traffic, and boring weather (nice weather -- but it really doesn't change) but ALL THAT SMOG ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME. The values are terrible: where do you live, where do you work, how much money do you make, what kind of car do you drive -- and every Sunday morning people worship at the cathedral of The Gym (ya gotta have a great bod!). I never went skiing in the winter because a one-hour drive in or out of the mountains could take 3-4 hours. Never went to beach because I couldn't find a parking spot. (I did go to the beach on weekend mornings about 5-6 a.m., because that was the only time I could find a parking spot and because the beach was relatively quiet at that time.) And as for finding a job: If you LOOK great and ACT great, you MAY find a job. Rarely went to LA's culture scene because traffic was terrible and prices were ridiculous. (I did go to OC's Performing Arts Center, usually on Thursday nights, because it had some great performances, at much lower cost.) I AM a little bored in NM -- after all, southern CA is the playground capital of The US. HOWEVER, every time I get a little homesick for CA, I remember all of the people and all of the traffic and the fact that I didn't quite fit in because I wasn't rich, young and gorgeous. Here in NM people pretty much accept you for who you are. However, watch out: a lot of older CA transplants (like me but who are very rich) are invading NM.
*cough*Santa Fe*cough

Old 12-19-2006, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 19,084 times
Default Move here you will love it.

I'm a native californian. Having lived from Santa Barbara to San Clemente, I can answer most of your questions with real answers. Southern California is an awesome place to live. It can be a challenge but all good things come with a price. My last clients were from Chicago and they are never going back. Sincerely, Brion with Coldwell Banker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene915 View Post
Considering a move to Orange County for a job opportunity. We're from Chicago and have always lived in the midwest. I am mostly concerned about good schools for my kids. (The schools seem large there.) Although I have been to LA several times, I cannot picture living in Southern California. Maybe because I was doing "touristy" things while visiting--it just seems like a difficult place to live. I realize it is expensive too, although Chicago is pricey also. Any other thoughts on what I should consider? Anyone else relocate?

Old 12-20-2006, 03:25 AM

6 posts, read 43,393 times
Default Know what your going through!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTjim View Post
Thinking about excepting an offer to work for a company in Irvine with a 110K salary. Can I afford to live there with my wife and three childern? Thought I would come out rent and check the place out. Then move everyone in the spring but not too sure from what I here. Any advice.
Hi
My hubby has been offered a job in the Buena Park area ca.He works for their sister company in the uk. We have 3 children too and are worried completely about doing the right thing. His firm have recommended living in Irvine because of the schools and being a safe area! My husband is going out again after the new year. If he accepts the job then they want him their in April, with us following by July 07. After reading so much on this forum my positive thoughts about doing it have changed dramatically to negative. (Surely all these people cant be wrong).Unless my husbands firm re-negotiates a better wage and deal to live the better life than we do already! Good schools,low mortgage,family and friends all around us,walk to schools and work,children several activities they pursue,good health. Basically a good comfortable living we have here to be dashed maybe in California. I am not convinced even with the good wage and rent allowance being offered that this would be a good move? Just dont know!!!!!!!

Will accept pm message if you have any better luck than us at being convinced its the right move to do. Good luck anyway with whatever you decide!

Mrs whirlybird

Old 02-22-2007, 06:09 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,319 times
is this really true? are the people all this superficial?
is there a smog? does san diego have this smog?
im from nj and received a big offer to work out in newport beach and live there. with a tentative start date mid march, i am getting scared now. how is sd compared to nb? im a 26 yr old single male, ambitious, hard worker. i thought nb is good because it could be more lucrative for my career as a financial advisor. i hear sd is more party party and college scene....but sd seemed amazing out there. i dont like snots and people who think they are better than everyone i am getting turned off reading this posts! espec me coming from east coat we tell people how it is so if people are fake theyd hear it from me. do people all really judge on your car? i would think real wealthy people are frugle?? i drive a beautiful new honda accord and do well, i could afford a beamer or lex but i choose to spend money on assets not depreciating things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaTerra66 View Post
After having spent almost 30 years living there, I retired nine months ago and moved to New Mexico. I came to hate Orange County over the years I lived there. Too many people, too much traffic, and boring weather (nice weather -- but it really doesn't change) but ALL THAT SMOG ALMOST ALL OF THE TIME. The values are terrible: where do you live, where do you work, how much money do you make, what kind of car do you drive -- and every Sunday morning people worship at the cathedral of The Gym (ya gotta have a great bod!). I never went skiing in the winter because a one-hour drive in or out of the mountains could take 3-4 hours. Never went to beach because I couldn't find a parking spot. (I did go to the beach on weekend mornings about 5-6 a.m., because that was the only time I could find a parking spot and because the beach was relatively quiet at that time.) And as for finding a job: If you LOOK great and ACT great, you MAY find a job. Rarely went to LA's culture scene because traffic was terrible and prices were ridiculous. (I did go to OC's Performing Arts Center, usually on Thursday nights, because it had some great performances, at much lower cost.) I AM a little bored in NM -- after all, southern CA is the playground capital of The US. HOWEVER, every time I get a little homesick for CA, I remember all of the people and all of the traffic and the fact that I didn't quite fit in because I wasn't rich, young and gorgeous. Here in NM people pretty much accept you for who you are. However, watch out: a lot of older CA transplants (like me but who are very rich) are invading NM.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:14 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,319 times
these seems nice. i've been reading a lot of bashing posts that everyone is fake and girls are primarily blonde and people are superficial, and judged on vehicle you drive. i guess everywhere u have the good with the bad. im comin from nj a 26 yr old single professional lookin to make bank. im a financial advisor and have been thinkin bout nb b/c the massive amounts of wealth and in my job i seek to find clients to invest with me and my firm. if nb is so rich then i would do good i would think, or at least have more "whales" to hunt opposed to small accounts.
how do people feel about san diego? is it cool? i liked downtown, i had a blast down there. i felt like if u lived downtown u wouldnt need to drive and everything is 5 min away. give some feedback pleasssse!
i put a reservation on a property in nb but im startin to think twice about it and opt for sd. i just wanna go somewhere with nice weather, beautiful girls, NICE people and good golf too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russel View Post

Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,206 times
Default Newport Beach...fakes?

Orange County, specifially Newport Beach, does have a lot of fake people. Most here have a substantial amount of money and can afford that kind of thing. I can't judge everyone, because there are nice people, but a lot of that fakeness with the body comes with the personality too. I wouldn't say you're judged by your car...but there seems to be a lot of competition with the "things" that people drive and have in general. Let's put it this way: I don't get embarrassed by this kind of thing, but my Geo Prizm (94) was a little out of place a couple years ago when I had it! It is not uncommon to see 4 Mercedes, then a Jaguar, then a couple Lexus's all in a row in the parking lot. Newport is a great place though. Sure you get the traffic that comes along with southern California, but the schools there are good and everything is rather well kept. I also wouldn't say that everyone is snobby. Of course some people will be (as they will in any place). I'd say they are more friendly but fake. And some aren't...depends who you meet and where you meet them. So, to those of you from Newport...I'm not saying everyone is fake. Don't be offended. I have a lot of great friends there. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County