Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:49 AM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
It doesn't matter to me how many friends you have who are Republicans. That has nothing to do with me and my experiences. All the nonsense you're talking about is illegal. I'm talking about workplace and social circles (and would have expected that most people would have realized that...didn't think I needed to spoon feed that info). Being a Republican in CA (especially Northern Ca) has always been socially expensive as the other poster eluded to. Sorry if that's not your reality. In fact, you would have to go to the deepest part of the South to experience a group of people that are so intellectually rigid and close minded about their ideology (in my experience). And the adversarial way you're responding to my post, in addition to thinking someone couldn't have a different experience than you is actually proving my point.
I'm not sure why you are having all these problems in Northern California. I guess if you lived in Berkeley you might feel a little out of place, but in places like Sacramento, really? I can't even imagine a person facing any kind of scorn or bias here because of their political affiliation here.

One of my neighbors is 88 years old. He's a huge Trump supporter, he walks around with a red MAGA hat and guess what..everyone in the neighborhood loves him, political affiliation has nothing to do with it, he's a sweet gentle man whose politics just don't align with mine- So what? The neighbor directly across street from me is a libertarian but votes Republican, I think some of his ideas are goofy but we have BBQ's with he and his wife all summer and trade our tomatoes for his zucchini. They are good people who disagree with us, BFD.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM

882 posts, read 688,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure why you are having all these problems in Northern California. I guess if you lived in Berkeley you might feel a little out of place, but in places like Sacramento, really? I can't even imagine a person facing any kind of scorn or bias here because of their political affiliation here.

One of my neighbors is 88 years old. He's a huge Trump supporter, he walks around with a red MAGA hat and guess what..everyone in the neighborhood loves him, political affiliation has nothing to do with it, he's a sweet gentle man whose politics just don't align with mine- So what? The neighbor directly across street from me is a libertarian but votes Republican, I think some of his ideas are goofy but we have BBQ's with he and his wife all summer and trade our tomatoes for his zucchini. They are good people who disagree with us, BFD.
Well good for him.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
if you want to buy a home in a decent crime free neighborhood and want at least a decent choice of inventory you will need at least $1 million budget. That is one of the major cons.

Pros are weather, geography of the region if you are the outdoors type, relatively strong economy if you are in certain industries like tech

But the cons are rapidly overtaking the pros as time goes by, it's becoming a place for only the super wealthy and the rest continue to increasingly struggle... this is more apparent in the Bay Area where the cost of living is going into absurd territory.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
me and an officemate always tell we watch fox news whenever somebody ask us what we watch. and everybody just laugh. who cares about others politics when everybody is busy chasing the American dream

Old 07-17-2017, 05:42 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Best post of the year on C-D.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:59 PM

18 posts, read 19,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
It doesn't matter to me how many friends you have who are Republicans. That has nothing to do with me and my experiences. All the nonsense you're talking about is illegal. I'm talking about workplace and social circles (and would have expected that most people would have realized that...didn't think I needed to spoon feed that info). Being a Republican in CA (especially Northern Ca) has always been socially expensive as the other poster eluded to. Sorry if that's not your reality. In fact, you would have to go to the deepest part of the South to experience a group of people that are so intellectually rigid and close minded about their ideology (in my experience). And the adversarial way you're responding to my post, in addition to thinking someone couldn't have a different experience than you is actually proving my point.

I live in Orange County, and it is quite Republican. I am an independent, and I don't really advertise my politics, definitely not at work. Orange County is somewhat socially liberal, but it is fiscally conservative. It is not the Bible belt by any means. I understand that you have had a different experience, but I would not have led off with "you can't be a Republican here." I would have said something like "it can often be tough to be a Republican here." Additionally, your experience is not necessarily accurate when extrapolated to a large population. In my experience the people you consider closed minded have done an astronomically higher level of analysis to get to their views than people just about anywhere else. My dad has a PHD in economics from Stanford, and it is really funny to listen to Republicans with BA's in econ and MBA's try to debate him. It is not that he is closed minded, he just knows all the arguments they have and can go far more in depth than they can. He starts bringing up analysis based on generalized linear models and they usually can't compete. When someone brings him a good argument he has no problem debating and going back and forth, he is open to new information, it is just that he usually does not get if from corporate types. I get what you are saying about closed mindedness, I have met lots of liberals who are that way, they just tend to have opinions that are based more on logic than people from the religious right, from what I have seen.

I can see it being tough, but your experience may have been worse than most. I know lots of moderate Republicans up north who are just fine. Also, much of the central valley is quite Republican. I would much rather be a Republican in California, even up north, than gay or an atheist in much of middle America. I will agree that people in lots of red state small towns can be quite friendly, but I'm a white male and they don't know I'm an atheist. If they did my guess is my experience in these places would have been much different.

Like I said before, if you had started your post along the lines of "in my experience it can be tough to be a Republican in the parts of California where I have lived" you might have had a different response. I can certainly understand having difficulty as a Republican in certain places, I absolutely believe that has been what you have seen, but (like you told the above poster) not everyone has the same experience you do. And it is not needing spoon feeding, I am a statistician and very literal in my language for the most part, if you want to debate on a board like this I would do the same. When people say "all x's are y's" or something like that I'm quick to tell them to amend their language, even if I generally agree with what they are saying. Pedantic? Perhaps, but if you want to get accuracy that is what is necessary.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:05 PM

18 posts, read 19,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Are you saying people in the South can't be "gay, in interracial relationships, or not be Christian"?

Where do people get openly harassed for the above?
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I can't tell the tone, but I would say California is a much friendlier place for gays/atheists/jews/interratcailrelationshipfolks than much of the south. My guess is that that is what the poster was alluding too.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 PM

882 posts, read 688,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl4060 View Post
I live in Orange County, and it is quite Republican. I am an independent, and I don't really advertise my politics, definitely not at work. Orange County is somewhat socially liberal, but it is fiscally conservative. It is not the Bible belt by any means. I understand that you have had a different experience, but I would not have led off with "you can't be a Republican here." I would have said something like "it can often be tough to be a Republican here." Additionally, your experience is not necessarily accurate when extrapolated to a large population. In my experience the people you consider closed minded have done an astronomically higher level of analysis to get to their views than people just about anywhere else. My dad has a PHD in economics from Stanford, and it is really funny to listen to Republicans with BA's in econ and MBA's try to debate him. It is not that he is closed minded, he just knows all the arguments they have and can go far more in depth than they can. He starts bringing up analysis based on generalized linear models and they usually can't compete. When someone brings him a good argument he has no problem debating and going back and forth, he is open to new information, it is just that he usually does not get if from corporate types. I get what you are saying about closed mindedness, I have met lots of liberals who are that way, they just tend to have opinions that are based more on logic than people from the religious right, from what I have seen.

I can see it being tough, but your experience may have been worse than most. I know lots of moderate Republicans up north who are just fine. Also, much of the central valley is quite Republican. I would much rather be a Republican in California, even up north, than gay or an atheist in much of middle America. I will agree that people in lots of red state small towns can be quite friendly, but I'm a white male and they don't know I'm an atheist. If they did my guess is my experience in these places would have been much different.

Like I said before, if you had started your post along the lines of "in my experience it can be tough to be a Republican in the parts of California where I have lived" you might have had a different response. I can certainly understand having difficulty as a Republican in certain places, I absolutely believe that has been what you have seen, but (like you told the above poster) not everyone has the same experience you do. And it is not needing spoon feeding, I am a statistician and very literal in my language for the most part, if you want to debate on a board like this I would do the same. When people say "all x's are y's" or something like that I'm quick to tell them to amend their language, even if I generally agree with what they are saying. Pedantic? Perhaps, but if you want to get accuracy that is what is necessary.
If people can't understand it's my opinion based on my experience, I can't help them (I think that was clear enough). I too take things literally. The thread is titled "pros of living in California" (not Orange County, regardless of the forum it's posted in).

Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl4060 View Post
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I can't tell the tone, but I would say California is a much friendlier place for gays/atheists/jews/interratcailrelationshipfolks than much of the south. My guess is that that is what the poster was alluding too.
No I'm asking where the supposed wide spread open harassment of gays, jews, and interracial couples occurs in the South? I don't understand what's so hard about this question. If it's supposedly all out in the open, should be easy.

Do you know?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No I'm asking where the supposed wide spread open harassment of gays, jews, and interracial couples occurs in the South? I don't understand what's so hard about this question. If it's supposedly all out in the open, should be easy.

Do you know?

Hate crimes up in Florida; Orange County ranks third - Orlando Sentinel

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nity/98477568/

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-o...g-site-n771791

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ichard-collins

https://www.advocate.com/religion/20...-chief-justice

Man accused of making threats against Jewish community centers arrested in St. Louis - ABC News

Most Georgia LGBT students say they were harassed for being gay

Birmingham's Levite Jewish Community Center evacuated after bomb threat | AL.com

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1148770

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.2986522

Dylann Roof laughs, confesses to SC church shooting: 'I did it" - CNN.com

http://www.columbiatribune.com/b5974...df53e4655.html

I could go on with many more examples.

That's not to say we don't have our share of idiotic racist bigots in California; we do.

But your example of a few signs in LA aimed at Trump voters kind of pales by comparison, don't you think?

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-18-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County